REFLECTOR:Looking for suggestions about fire detection

Ronnie Brown reflector@tvbf.org
Sun, 18 May 2003 13:45:43 -0400


This is a multi-part message in MIME format.

------=_NextPart_000_001F_01C31D43.C72F8360
Content-Type: text/plain;
	charset="iso-8859-1"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

THANKS Wayne,

I couldn't find them in Digikey but I did find them at http://www.mouser.com/catalog//614/298.pdf

At $.40 each, I think I'll order a few and wire them around the engine compartment.  I'd guess a trip
temperature of around 163 -183 deg C or  325 to 360 deg F would be what we would need - but not too close to
the exhaust pipes.

Ronnie


----- Original Message -----
From: Wayne Owens
To: reflector@tvbf.org
Sent: Sunday, May 18, 2003 10:09 AM
Subject: Re: REFLECTOR:Looking for suggestions about fire detection


Woops.
What Digi-Key calls them now is Thermal Cutoffs. They list a bunch from Panasonic  for various temperatures in
degrees Centigrade. Part numbers are similar to P10925-ND.


Flashing LEDs show up in a couple of places L20691-ND has a built in resistor for 13 volts 671499-ND requires
a 1000 to 2000 ohm 1/4 watt resistor in series according to how bright you want it on the panel. Don't go much
below 1200 ohms.

If the attachment is too large I will post it to the Jamaican goose thingy.
Wayne

----- Original Message -----
  From: Ronnie Brown
  To: reflector@tvbf.org
  Sent: Sunday, May 18, 2003 8:53 AM
  Subject: Re: REFLECTOR:Looking for suggestions about fire detection


  Wayne.

  How about a part number?  I did a search on Thermal at Digikey and got no response.

  THANKS!
  Ronnie

  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Wayne Owens
  To: reflector@tvbf.org
  Sent: Saturday, May 17, 2003 6:12 PM
  Subject: Re: REFLECTOR:Looking for suggestions about fire detection


  I used Thermal fuses (from Digi-Key) in a string (series) around likely hot spots. One end is grounded and
the other end is tied to the anode of a flashing red LED (also Digi-Key)on my annunciator panel. The LED anode
is fed from a resistor tied to positive voltage (cathode is grounded) but the fuse string keeps the anode low
until one of them blows (overheats). That allows current to flow through the flashing LED to ground.
   You should insert a normally closed "press to test" switch in the string also.
  Wayne
    ----- Original Message -----
    From: PVTPIL8@aol.com
    To: reflector@tvbf.org
    Sent: Saturday, May 17, 2003 4:18 PM
    Subject: REFLECTOR:Looking for suggestions about fire detection


    I've got the fire suppression worked out now were looking for the early detection. Anyone have some
suggestions.  Wayne or Scott??

------=_NextPart_000_001F_01C31D43.C72F8360
Content-Type: text/html;
	charset="iso-8859-1"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN">
<HTML><HEAD>
<META http-equiv=3DContent-Type content=3D"text/html; =
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
<META content=3D"MSHTML 5.50.4134.600" name=3DGENERATOR>
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>THANKS Wayne,</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>I couldn't find them in Digikey but I did find them =
at <A=20
href=3D"http://www.mouser.com/catalog//614/298.pdf">http://www.mouser.com=
/catalog//614/298.pdf</A>&nbsp;</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>At $.40 each, I think I'll order a few and wire them =
around=20
the engine compartment.&nbsp; I'd guess a trip temperature of around 163 =
-183=20
deg C or &nbsp;325&nbsp;to 360 deg F would be what we would need - but =
not too=20
close to the exhaust pipes.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>Ronnie</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV style=3D"FONT: 10pt arial">----- Original Message -----=20
<DIV style=3D"BACKGROUND: #e4e4e4; font-color: black"><B>From:</B> <A=20
title=3Dwamowens@bellsouth.net =
href=3D"mailto:wamowens@bellsouth.net">Wayne=20
Owens</A> </DIV>
<DIV><B>To:</B> <A title=3Dreflector@tvbf.org=20
href=3D"mailto:reflector@tvbf.org">reflector@tvbf.org</A> </DIV>
<DIV><B>Sent:</B> Sunday, May 18, 2003 10:09 AM</DIV>
<DIV><B>Subject:</B> Re: REFLECTOR:Looking for suggestions about fire=20
detection</DIV></DIV>
<DIV><BR></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Woops.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>What Digi-Key calls them now is =
<U>Thermal=20
Cutoffs</U>. They list a bunch from Panasonic&nbsp; for various =
temperatures in=20
degrees Centigrade. Part numbers are similar to P10925-ND.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Flashing LEDs show up in a couple of =
places=20
L20691-ND&nbsp;has a built in resistor for 13 volts&nbsp;671499-ND =
requires a=20
1000 to 2000 ohm 1/4 watt resistor in series according to how bright you =
want it=20
on the panel. Don't go much below 1200 ohms.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>If the attachment is too large I will =
post it to=20
the Jamaican goose thingy.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Wayne</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>----- Original Message ----- </DIV>
<BLOCKQUOTE dir=3Dltr=20
style=3D"PADDING-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; =
BORDER-LEFT: #000000 2px solid; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px">
  <DIV=20
  style=3D"BACKGROUND: #e4e4e4; FONT: 10pt arial; font-color: =
black"><B>From:</B>=20
  <A title=3Dromott@adelphia.net =
href=3D"mailto:romott@adelphia.net">Ronnie=20
  Brown</A> </DIV>
  <DIV style=3D"FONT: 10pt arial"><B>To:</B> <A =
title=3Dreflector@tvbf.org=20
  href=3D"mailto:reflector@tvbf.org">reflector@tvbf.org</A> </DIV>
  <DIV style=3D"FONT: 10pt arial"><B>Sent:</B> Sunday, May 18, 2003 8:53 =
AM</DIV>
  <DIV style=3D"FONT: 10pt arial"><B>Subject:</B> Re: REFLECTOR:Looking =
for=20
  suggestions about fire detection</DIV>
  <DIV><BR></DIV>
  <DIV><FONT size=3D2>Wayne.</FONT></DIV>
  <DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
  <DIV><FONT size=3D2>How about a part number?&nbsp; I did a search on =
Thermal at=20
  Digikey and got no response.</FONT></DIV>
  <DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
  <DIV><FONT size=3D2>THANKS!</FONT></DIV>
  <DIV><FONT size=3D2>Ronnie</FONT></DIV>
  <DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
  <DIV style=3D"FONT: 10pt arial">----- Original Message -----=20
  <DIV style=3D"BACKGROUND: #e4e4e4; font-color: black"><B>From:</B> <A=20
  title=3Dwamowens@bellsouth.net =
href=3D"mailto:wamowens@bellsouth.net">Wayne=20
  Owens</A> </DIV>
  <DIV><B>To:</B> <A title=3Dreflector@tvbf.org=20
  href=3D"mailto:reflector@tvbf.org">reflector@tvbf.org</A> </DIV>
  <DIV><B>Sent:</B> Saturday, May 17, 2003 6:12 PM</DIV>
  <DIV><B>Subject:</B> Re: REFLECTOR:Looking for suggestions about fire=20
  detection</DIV></DIV>
  <DIV><BR></DIV>
  <DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>I used Thermal fuses (from Digi-Key) =
in a string=20
  (series) around likely hot spots. One end is grounded and the other =
end is=20
  tied to the anode of a flashing red LED (also Digi-Key)on my =
annunciator=20
  panel. The LED anode is fed from a resistor tied to positive voltage =
(cathode=20
  is grounded) but the fuse string keeps the anode low until one of them =
blows=20
  (overheats). That allows current to flow through the flashing LED to=20
  ground.</FONT></DIV>
  <DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>&nbsp;You should insert a normally =
closed "press=20
  to test" switch in the string also.</FONT></DIV>
  <DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Wayne</FONT></DIV>
  <BLOCKQUOTE=20
  style=3D"PADDING-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; =
BORDER-LEFT: #000000 2px solid; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px">
    <DIV style=3D"FONT: 10pt arial">----- Original Message ----- </DIV>
    <DIV=20
    style=3D"BACKGROUND: #e4e4e4; FONT: 10pt arial; font-color: =
black"><B>From:</B>=20
    <A title=3DPVTPIL8@aol.com =
href=3D"mailto:PVTPIL8@aol.com">PVTPIL8@aol.com</A>=20
    </DIV>
    <DIV style=3D"FONT: 10pt arial"><B>To:</B> <A =
title=3Dreflector@tvbf.org=20
    href=3D"mailto:reflector@tvbf.org">reflector@tvbf.org</A> </DIV>
    <DIV style=3D"FONT: 10pt arial"><B>Sent:</B> Saturday, May 17, 2003 =
4:18=20
    PM</DIV>
    <DIV style=3D"FONT: 10pt arial"><B>Subject:</B> REFLECTOR:Looking =
for=20
    suggestions about fire detection</DIV>
    <DIV><BR></DIV><FONT face=3Darial,helvetica><FONT lang=3D0 =
face=3DArial size=3D2=20
    FAMILY=3D"SANSSERIF">I've got the fire suppression worked out now =
were looking=20
    for the early detection. Anyone have some suggestions.&nbsp; Wayne =
or=20
    Scott??</FONT> </FONT></BLOCKQUOTE></BLOCKQUOTE></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_001F_01C31D43.C72F8360--