REFLECTOR:Front seat hard points
Ronnie Brown
reflector@tvbf.org
Sun, 18 May 2003 13:31:27 -0400
I very much agree with doing everything that you can while the top is still
off. I even built a new bulkhead that forms the inboard side of the fuel
tanks - not using the fuselage side. This allowed me to do all of my strake
and fuel tank work with the fuselage top off. Mine is an RG so this was
even more helpful.
I drilled 1/4" holes directly in the seat rails for the 1/4" threaded stock.
And yes, you will need to install the seat rails so that they slide parallel
with the keel. I had to cut off the outboard forward edge of my pilot seat
because I couldn't close the door. Some others have cut the seats in half
and made them 1" narrower to fix this problem. I just cut the corner and
built up a new corner.
Ronnie Brown
----- Original Message -----
From: "Andy Millin" <amillin@net-link.net>
To: <reflector@tvbf.org>
Sent: Sunday, May 18, 2003 11:03 AM
Subject: RE: REFLECTOR:Front seat hard points
> Tony,
>
> That was also suggested to me. I have left it.
>
> But, I met up with Wes Rose yesterday at the Triple H fly-in. I told Wes
> that I was making my final preparation to get the top of the fuselage put
> on. Then he started asking questions... He had suggested that I should
> take more time and install my seats, do my brake lines, do my rudder cable
> conduit, and anything else possible before putting on the top. He has
built
> two Velocities and has done it both ways. He said I would thank myself
for
> getting this stuff done before I put the top on.
>
> Wes clearly has the experience, so I'm going to get these things done.
But,
> I have to figure out how. :)
>
> Another thing, the manual calls for the seat rails to be mounted 2" from
the
> keel. Makes the point that the rails should be parallel with it so the
seat
> won't bind when it moves back and forth. This makes sense, but the 2"
> doesn't. The hard points appear to be centered about 3.5" from the keel.
> If I move the rails so they are 2" from the keel, obviously I'm way off
> center. It has me scratching my head. Also 2" doesn't seem like a lot of
> room for the seat. I'm inclined to mount the rails parallel to the keel,
> but centered over the hard points. Any comments or suggestions on the
> placement would be appreciated.
>
> And another question, if I may. The manual calls for the hard points to
be
> drilled and tapped 1/4-20 and then generic threaded rod be inserted and
cut
> to length. Great -- got it. Then (the magic happens) install the seats.
> I'm missing something here. I can't find anything on the seat rails that
> looks like it would accept 1/4-20 rod in any way, shape, or form. It
looks
> like some welding skills are going to be required here. I'm going to
check
> the new manuals again, but as far as I can see the rails I have cannot be
> attached as they exist today.
>
> Having all the fun I can building,
>
> Best,
>
> Andy
>
>
>
> -----Original Message-----
> From: reflector-admin@tvbf.org [mailto:reflector-admin@tvbf.org]On
> Behalf Of Tony Babb
> Sent: Sunday, May 18, 2003 10:34 AM
> To: reflector@tvbf.org
> Subject: Re: REFLECTOR:Front seat hard points
>
>
> Andy,
>
> I hit the same problem with my SEFG, the measurements in the manual are
just
> plain wrong - at least the front/back distance is wrong. I discovered this
> while I was at the Builders Center about a year ago and it was suggested
to
> me that they should be in front of the speedbrake cutout in the fuselage
> floor by an inch or two, it was also suggested that I should leave it
until
> the very end to do this & that's what I've done - to be precise nothing !!
>
> Cheers,
>
> Tony
> Top NACAs
> ----- Original Message -----
> From: "Andy Millin" <amillin@net-link.net>
> To: "Reflector" <reflector@www.tvbf.org>
> Sent: Sunday, May 18, 2003 6:17 AM
> Subject: REFLECTOR:Front seat hard points
>
>
> > According to the manual, the rear, inboard, front seat hard points are
> > supposed to be potted right where the speed brake hinges are. I looked
at
> > the new version of the manual, and this mistake still seems to be there.
> I
> > want to get my seat mounts done before I put the top on my fuselage.
Can
> > anyone tell me what the work around should be?
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Andy
> >
> > _______________________________________________
> > To change your email address, visit
> http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
> >
> > Visit the gallery! tvbf:jamaicangoose
>
> _______________________________________________
> To change your email address, visit
> http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>
> Visit the gallery! tvbf:jamaicangoose
>
> _______________________________________________
> To change your email address, visit
http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>
> Visit the gallery! tvbf:jamaicangoose
>