REFLECTOR:Sensor Mounting
Brian Michalk
reflector@tvbf.org
Tue, 13 May 2003 22:56:17 -0500
It depends on the sensor.
Most of us seem to use the VDO sensors that I have heard are prone to
cracking. The good thing is that the pressure orifice is very small.
There are plenty of industrial sensors that will withstand our engine
vibration, but you can't buy them for $35 either.
Brian Michalk <http://www.michalk.com>
Life is what you make of it ... never wish you had done something.
Aviator, experimental aircraft builder, motorcyclist, SCUBA diver
musician, home-brewer, entrepreneur and mostly single
> -----Original Message-----
> From: reflector-admin@tvbf.org [mailto:reflector-admin@tvbf.org]On
> Behalf Of Wayne Lanza
> Sent: Tuesday, May 13, 2003 9:26 PM
> To: reflector@tvbf.org
> Subject: REFLECTOR:Sensor Mounting
>
>
> A word of caution here,
> Mounting a fuel or oil pressure sensor on an engine is not recommended.
> The reason that the sensors are remote mounted to the firewall or engine
> mount via a flexible hose is to avoid a mechanical failure of the
> sensor due
> to engine vibration. Many DAR's will fail a directly mounted sensor,
> and why
> take the chance of it breaking...?
>
> Fly Safe,
> Wayne Lanza
> ___________________________________________________________
>
> On Tuesday, May 13, 2003, at 10:14 PM, Jay Yu wrote:
>
> > Not sure if this is useful info but welcome any/all comments.
> >
> > I just came back from a test flight. I saw fuel pressure at 7~8 psi in
> > flight and ~6 psi on the ground. I did NOT buy a new sensor. What I
> > did was
> > I reinstalled the sensor at the bottom of the engine in the path of
> > fresh
> > air flow from my lower cowl intake air scoop (The sensor used to be on
> > firewall about 4" away from exhaust pipe but covered with reflective
> > heat
> > shield).
>
> _______________________________________________
> To change your email address, visit
http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
Visit the gallery! tvbf:jamaicangoose