REFLECTOR:Re: Insurance Woes
Scott Derrick
reflector@tvbf.org
Wed, 07 May 2003 21:56:28 -0600
Correction, that $3,600 rate from Avemco was for 65K hull value, and
$1,400 rate from AUA was for 85K... Seemed like a no brainer to me..
Scott Derrick wrote:
> You have to call AUA for a non-flight 0.6% rate, I never said you could
> get that rate from Falcon. I have an instrument rating, 1000 hours PIC,
> 700 hrs retract, 150 in Velocity, so if your experience is different
> your rate will be also.
>
> Also, I don't know if you can use the non-flight policy as builders
> insurance. Interesting idea though. A problem could be that in order
> to get non-flight hull insurance you also need to get liability which
> will add apx. $400 to the bill. I think the plane has to be at an
> airport in a hanger.
>
> If your asking Falcon for a builders insurance plan I can see why they
> wouldn't ask for PIC time. ect. Your not flying it..
>
> BTW, Non-Flight means your hull insurance ends the moment you taxi onto
> the runway and begins the moment you taxi off the runway.
>
> My insurance on my Bonanza was about 1% for in-flight hull with Falcon.
> Liability was half what I pay for my Velocity. That was a couple years
> ago so maybe things have changed.
>
> As per your friend, we don't know his history or flying credentials. A
> year ago I could get 85K hull from Avemco for $3,600 or from AUA for
> $1,400. Same coverage, same plane, same pilot very different prices. I
> told some folks that, and they said they were staying with Avemco
> because they were loyal customers!
>
> Scott
>
> John Tvedte wrote:
>
>> Just wondering how to get the 0.6% non-flight - I called Falcon for
>> builders insurance and they are quoting 1% per thousand - 85K hull
>> would run 850 as an example.
>>
>> I think Andy mentioned $550/year - what "value"?
>>
>> Bob mentioned 60K for 600 - which is 1%.
>>
>> BTW- I was not asked if I had an instrument rating, total hours of PIC
>> time, or any other pilot related questions.....
>>
>> Although second hand, a friend mentioned that he was checking out how
>> much a 100K Piper Commanche would cost him yearly to insure - $4500 -
>> or 4.5%
>>
>>
>>
>>
>> -----Original Message----- From: Scott Derrick
>> [mailto:scott@tnstaafl.net] Sent: Wed 5/7/2003 2:45 PM To:
>> reflector@tvbf.org Cc: Subject: Re: REFLECTOR:Re: Insurance Woes
>>
>>
>>
>> Chuck,
>>
>> Nice dissertation on many of he ins and outs of aircraft insurance.
>>
>> My $0.02
>>
>> > 2. Premiums: There's little choice that the premiums start
>> out high;
>> > in the 4%-5% range. While high, this is competitive with most
>> current
>> > commercial rates, if you can get them. For those that are
>> getting a low
>> > commercial rate presently, our hats off to you; and we'll see
>> you next year
>> > when you come to the Coop hat in hand. The final premium target
>> would be
>> > 1%-2%.
>>
>> No this is not competitive. Avemco wanted to charge me 5% for hull
>> which I found unacceptable. It would pay anybody to self insure
>> at that
>> cost. Put the money in a CD and in 10 years you've bought yourself
>> another Velocity.
>>
>> Falcon would charge me 1.7% for a 85K hull value in-flight or 0.6%
>> for
>> non-flight.
>>
>> Unless you can get close to competitive I don't think your going
>> to get
>> enough business to make it viable.
>>
>> > 4. Pilot Flight Checks: Absolutely. Not only for
>> insurance's sake,
>> > but our own. Perhaps we'd require the BFR be done with a
>> Velocity approved
>> > CFI. When BFRs were first implement, I was a little skeptical
>> about more
>> > "big brother." The reality is, its a very good program. We all
>> get a
>> > little complacent and form less than desirable habits.
>> Relearning once
>> > every two years is small price to pay to save on insurance and
>> your life.
>>
>> I don't see any real advantage and would consider this a big
>> negative.
>> I can see a factory approved checkout of the plane and pilot for the
>> initial policy but after that its a waste.
>>
>> > 5. Plane Inspections: Absolutely. You and I know our
>> workmanship is
>> > great but can we trust that other guy. The Factory and
>> Inspectors know
>> > every trick, tip and trap associated with the Velocity. To have
>> a factory
>> > approved inspection will save insurance claims and lives.
>>
>> Are you talking a first time inspection or recurring? Recurring is a
>> waste as I said above. There are thousands and thousands of more
>> complex
>> aircraft than ours flying that don't require a "Factory" annual for
>> insurance. Neither should ours.
>>
>>
>> Scott
>>
>> _______________________________________________
>> To change your email address, visit
>> http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>>
>> Visit the gallery! tvbf:jamaicangoose
>>
>>
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> To change your email address, visit
> http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>
> Visit the gallery! tvbf:jamaicangoose
>