REFLECTOR:FG nose wheel tire removal

reflector@tvbf.org reflector@tvbf.org
Mon, 5 May 2003 21:06:26 EDT


--part1_1a8.13a6d79f.2be86492_boundary
Content-Type: text/plain; charset="US-ASCII"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

I'll talk about the XL. 

First there is a set screw in the fork that prevents the axle from being 
removed. It is a hex head set screw---and look carefully for there is a 
second one in the same hole so the first one locks the second so it can not 
drop out.

Remove the hex head set screws, then apply a screwdriver in the screwdriver 
slot in the end of the axle and screw it out.

Once the axle is removed you can take the wheel and tire out of the fork. 
Then make usre all pressure is removed form the tube and remove the tire and 
tube.

When I recently had to remove my front wheel I found that the axle would not 
turn even though I had removed the set screws. As it turned out, the axle was 
bent (hard landing?) and would not turn. I then had to cut the axle in two 
using a dremel with a cut-off wheel. I ordered a new axle from Velocity 
(about $15), and replaced the bent one.

This the answer you are seeking, or have I missed the point?

Bob Wood
N658SE

--part1_1a8.13a6d79f.2be86492_boundary
Content-Type: text/html; charset="US-ASCII"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<HTML><FONT FACE=3Darial,helvetica><FONT  SIZE=3D2 FAMILY=3D"SANSSERIF" FACE=
=3D"Arial" LANG=3D"0">I'll talk about the XL. <BR>
<BR>
First there is a set screw in the fork that prevents the axle from being rem=
oved. It is a hex head set screw---and look carefully for there is a second=20=
one in the same hole so the first one locks the second so it can not drop ou=
t.<BR>
<BR>
Remove the hex head set screws, then apply a screwdriver in the screwdriver=20=
slot in the end of the axle and screw it out.<BR>
<BR>
Once the axle is removed you can take the wheel and tire out of the fork. Th=
en make usre all pressure is removed form the tube and remove the tire and t=
ube.<BR>
<BR>
When I recently had to remove my front wheel I found that the axle would not=
 turn even though I had removed the set screws. As it turned out, the axle w=
as bent (hard landing?) and would not turn. I then had to cut the axle in tw=
o using a dremel with a cut-off wheel. I ordered a new axle from Velocity (a=
bout $15), and replaced the bent one.<BR>
<BR>
This the answer you are seeking, or have I missed the point?<BR>
<BR>
Bob Wood<BR>
N658SE</FONT></HTML>

--part1_1a8.13a6d79f.2be86492_boundary--