REFLECTOR:ELT

Jack Sheehan reflector@tvbf.org
Mon, 5 May 2003 15:56:04 -0400


--============_-1159957920==_ma============
Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii" ; format="flowed"

Ronnie,
Great run down on the ELT requirements. We get into similar 
discussions about the use of not-certified equipment such as 
compasses and electronic displays in our experimental aircraft during 
IFR flight. Do you have as good a reference about those kinds of 
issues. I have always taken the position that 91.205 requires minimum 
equipment and since it assumes it is being installed in a certified 
aircraft the equipment would have to be TSO.  In an experimental you 
can use what ever you want so long as you are able to navigate as 
required. I suppose you can shoot an ILS with a home made device so 
long as it works. I am not sure the minimum equipment even has to be 
certified but it is hard to get a straight answer.

Jack
N55XL
--============_-1159957920==_ma============
Content-Type: text/html; charset="us-ascii"

<!doctype html public "-//W3C//DTD W3 HTML//EN">
<html><head><style type="text/css"><!--
blockquote, dl, ul, ol, li { margin-top: 0 ; margin-bottom: 0 }
 --></style><title>Re: REFLECTOR:ELT</title></head><body>
<div><font size="-1">Ronnie,</font></div>
<div><font size="-1">Great run down on the ELT requirements. We get
into similar discussions about the use of not-certified equipment such
as compasses and electronic displays in our experimental aircraft
during IFR flight. Do you have as good a reference about those kinds
of issues. I have always taken the position that 91.205 requires
minimum equipment and since it assumes it is being installed in a
certified aircraft the equipment would have to be TSO.&nbsp; In an
experimental you can use what ever you want so long as you are able to
navigate as required. I suppose you can shoot an ILS with a home made
device so long as it works. I am not sure the minimum equipment even
has to be certified but it is hard to get a straight
answer.</font></div>
<div><font size="-1"><br></font></div>
<div><font size="-1">Jack</font></div>
<div><font size="-1">N55XL</font></div>
</body>
</html>
--============_-1159957920==_ma============--