REFLECTOR:STRUCTURAL ADHESIVE
douglas holub
reflector@tvbf.org
Mon, 5 May 2003 09:41:59 -0500
I was curious about this a couple of years ago because I liked the quicker
setup times and less obnoxious fumes from the West system. At that time,
the factory said that they were using West just for filling. I called
Gougeon Bros. and talked to an engineer there. He said that the West system
had been used structurally in composite aircraft. When I looked at the
specs, I think I remember that West had slightly less strength and a little
lower transition temperature than EZ Poxy.
----- Original Message -----
From: "Scott Derrick" <scott@tnstaafl.net>
To: <reflector@tvbf.org>
Sent: Monday, May 05, 2003 8:32 AM
Subject: Re: REFLECTOR:STRUCTURAL ADHESIVE
> I was told this by Brendan O'Riodan and one of the other mechanics, both
> A&P's at the Velocity factory. He said not to use the accelerated
> hardener because its strength was compromised, as all the fast cure
> systems are.
>
> I've never built an entire airplane so my knowledge of this is limited,
> that's why I ask the factory people. I did build my gear legs(Standard
> RG) using West Systems. Brendan said they would be fine, but they may be
> just a bit more flexible.
>
> I also talked with a West Systems customer service rep who "said" he
> knew of a couple composite planes built entirely with West Systems. Take
> it for what its worth.
>
> As for the pot life of West Systems, they have a whole range of
> hardeners to control the cure rate, I think there are 4 different
> hardeners too choose from. If your trying to use their fast hardener in
> a big thick lay-up you will have major problems. You need to use the
> slower hardeners.
>
> Scott
>
> Jeff Barnes wrote:
> > Hi Scott,
> >
> > I'm not sure that's an accurate statement, and it's potentially a very
> > dangerous statement.
> >
> > Can you name one Velocity so built, and who at factory said 100% West
> > Systems is fine? If they really said it, which West System product did
> > they specify for which application ?
> >
> > Can you name one Cozy or LongEZ built with 100% West Systems ? Have you
> > asked Nat Puffer (Cozy), or Burt Rutan (LongEZ) about acceptable
> > structural epoxy for their designs, or are we still relying on the
> > Velocity factory A&P for those as well?
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Jeff Barnes
> > Velocity XL-RG
> >
> > Scott Derrick wrote:
> >
> >>There are a lot of Velocity's, Cozy's and LongEZ's built with 100% West
> >>Systems. The factory A&P's at Velocity say its fine. I was told that
> >>its not that it is significantly weaker, its just less stiff.
> >>
> >>Scott
> >>
> >>richard@riley.net wrote:
> >>
> >>>At 05:53 PM 5/4/03 -0600, you wrote:
> >>>
> >>>
> >>>>What kind do you like for easy, quick but very durable performance?
> >>>
> >>>
> >>>In this order...
> >>>
> >>>Pro-set
> >>>MGS
> >>>Jeffco
> >>>EZ Poxy
> >>>PTMW
> >>>
> >>>But I do an amazing amount of work with WEST 206. Even things that
> >>>you'd think of as structural - like putting in bulkheads - is really a
> >>>secondary bond. WEST isn't as strong as the structural epoxies, but in
> >>>most cases, where you're attaching one thing that's already been made
to
> >>>another thing that's already been made, WEST actually adheres better
> >>>than the structural stuff. Since the weak point isn't the strength of
> >>>the epoxy but the strength of the bond, WESTcan, in those cases,
> >>>actually end up stronger.
> >>>_______________________________________________
> >>>To change your email address, visit
> >>>http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
> >>>
> >>>Visit the gallery! tvbf:jamaicangoose
> >>>
> >>
> >>_______________________________________________
> >>To change your email address, visit
http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
> >>
> >>Visit the gallery! tvbf:jamaicangoose
> >
> > _______________________________________________
> > To change your email address, visit
http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
> >
> > Visit the gallery! tvbf:jamaicangoose
> >
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> To change your email address, visit
http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>
> Visit the gallery! tvbf:jamaicangoose
>