REFLECTOR:ALternator Woes

Brian Michalk reflector@tvbf.org
Sat, 28 Jun 2003 17:02:50 -0500


I'm not sure you can find any automotive alternator advertized the way you
want it.

The voltage regulator, in my opinion is the most likely to fail.  If it were
me, I would find an alternator with an external regulator, and mount the
regulator in a cool location.

 Brian Michalk  <http://www.michalk.com>
Life is what you make of it ... never wish you had done something.
Aviator, experimental aircraft builder, motorcyclist, SCUBA diver
musician, home-brewer, entrepreneur and mostly single


> -----Original Message-----
> From: reflector-admin@tvbf.org [mailto:reflector-admin@tvbf.org]On
> Behalf Of Scott Derrick
> Sent: Saturday, June 28, 2003 3:52 PM
> To: reflector@tvbf.org; canards@tnstaafl.net
> Subject: REFLECTOR:ALternator Woes
>
>
> Had a fantastic flight today flying down the Colorado river at 500 AWL
> from Grand Junction for a hundred or so miles.  Beautiful scenery and a
> blast to fly the canyons.
>
> After turning south east to go to Farmington for lunch,great Mexican
> restaurant, high gas prices, my alternator started to act up again.
> What a bummer to end such a nice flight with my wife. Not to mention
> that it scared the bejesus out of her to have the Low Amperage Light
> flash and then have the engine monitor recycle.
>
> That's it. I give up on this 1970's overpriced piece of crap.  I should
> have changed to another model when the first one failed.
>
> What is a good solid new vintage alternator, with an internal regulator
> that is cheap, i.e.. I can get it at Autozone with a lifetime warranty
> for less than a $100.  I need 60+ amps, the more the merrier but it
> needs to be light and tough enough to stand the pounding that 200 HP
> Lycoming puts out.
>
> Scott
>
> _______________________________________________
> To change your email address, visit
> http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>
> Visit the gallery!  tvbf:jamaicangoose
>