REFLECTOR:caster of NG

KeithHallsten reflector@tvbf.org
Tue, 17 Jun 2003 08:53:09 -0700


This is a multi-part message in MIME format.

------=_NextPart_000_00A4_01C334AD.E067EE40
Content-Type: text/plain;
	charset="iso-8859-1"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

No!  The bottom-forward cant of the axis is called "rake" and needs to =
be positive to provide stability.  The shape of the fork gets the wheel =
contact point well behind the center of rotation (which is called =
"trail") to provide self-centering.  As Nolan Fredrick pointed out, this =
is what makes motorcycles and bicycles stable.

It's analogous to balancing control surfaces; the forward weighting on a =
control surface is sort of like "rake" and the large surface subject to =
aerodynamic forces behind the hinge is sort of like "trail".

Keith Hallsten - balancing control surfaces!

  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Wayne Owens=20
  To: reflector@tvbf.org=20
  Sent: Tuesday, June 17, 2003 5:25 AM
  Subject: Re: REFLECTOR:caster of NG


  You do mean forward at the top don't you?
  Wayne

  Mine is one of the old style (like everything of mine) assemblies that =
includes a 5 inch wide  piece of channel where the "ears" attach. I am =
relocating the holes about 1/2 inch forward. That will change it to a 2 =
degree negative (bottom rearward) angle.
  Wayne
    ----- Original Message -----=20
    From: AnnSam=20
    To: reflector@tvbf.org=20
    Sent: Monday, June 16, 2003 10:53 PM
    Subject: RE: REFLECTOR:caster of NG


    You better believe it. It's what keeps it from shimmying. Castor is =
reward, Kingpin inclination is foward.
      -----Original Message-----
      From: reflector-admin@tvbf.org [mailto:reflector-admin@tvbf.org]On =
Behalf Of Wayne Owens
      Sent: Monday, June 16, 2003 9:48 PM
      To: reflector@tvbf.org
      Subject: REFLECTOR:caster of NG


      Today I started to install my new NG strut. After leveling the =
plane I found the new strut was sloped 2 degrees  but the in the wrong =
direction. IE the bottom of the strut was further forward than the top =
of the fork (bottom of the washer).  Brendan confirmed this was correct =
for me.

       I don't believe it.

      Caster must be reward for the wheel to be self centering. I think =
I now see why I could not beat the shimmy problem before.  I asked the =
fellow who designed the current form of Cessna's NG. He said he designed =
12 degrees negative for Cessna.

      Various of my mechanical engineer friends confirm that with the =
positive angle the weight of the aircraft will try to force the wheel =
out of trail.

      I suspect my old strut had this same problem. Live and learn.=20

      Wayne
------=_NextPart_000_00A4_01C334AD.E067EE40
Content-Type: text/html;
	charset="iso-8859-1"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN">
<HTML><HEAD>
<META http-equiv=3DContent-Type content=3D"text/html; =
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
<META content=3D"MSHTML 6.00.2800.1170" name=3DGENERATOR>
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>No!&nbsp; The bottom-forward cant of =
the axis is=20
called "rake" and needs to be positive to provide stability.&nbsp; The =
shape of=20
the fork gets the wheel contact point well behind the center of rotation =
(which=20
is called "trail") to provide self-centering.&nbsp; As Nolan Fredrick =
pointed=20
out, this is what makes motorcycles and bicycles stable.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>It's&nbsp;analogous to balancing =
control surfaces;=20
the forward weighting on a control surface is sort of like "rake" and =
the large=20
surface&nbsp;subject to aerodynamic forces behind the hinge is&nbsp;sort =
of like=20
"trail".</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Keith Hallsten - balancing control=20
surfaces!</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<BLOCKQUOTE dir=3Dltr=20
style=3D"PADDING-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; =
BORDER-LEFT: #000000 2px solid; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px">
  <DIV style=3D"FONT: 10pt arial">----- Original Message ----- </DIV>
  <DIV=20
  style=3D"BACKGROUND: #e4e4e4; FONT: 10pt arial; font-color: =
black"><B>From:</B>=20
  <A title=3Dwamowens@bellsouth.net =
href=3D"mailto:wamowens@bellsouth.net">Wayne=20
  Owens</A> </DIV>
  <DIV style=3D"FONT: 10pt arial"><B>To:</B> <A =
title=3Dreflector@tvbf.org=20
  href=3D"mailto:reflector@tvbf.org">reflector@tvbf.org</A> </DIV>
  <DIV style=3D"FONT: 10pt arial"><B>Sent:</B> Tuesday, June 17, 2003 =
5:25=20
AM</DIV>
  <DIV style=3D"FONT: 10pt arial"><B>Subject:</B> Re: REFLECTOR:caster =
of NG</DIV>
  <DIV><BR></DIV>
  <DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>You do mean forward at the top don't=20
  you?</FONT></DIV>
  <DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Wayne</FONT></DIV>
  <DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
  <DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Mine is one of the old style (like =
everything of=20
  mine) assemblies that includes a 5 inch wide&nbsp; piece of channel =
where the=20
  "ears" attach. I am relocating the holes about 1/2 inch forward. That=20
  will&nbsp;change it to a 2 degree negative (bottom rearward)=20
  angle.</FONT></DIV>
  <DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Wayne</FONT></DIV>
  <BLOCKQUOTE dir=3Dltr=20
  style=3D"PADDING-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; =
BORDER-LEFT: #000000 2px solid; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px">
    <DIV style=3D"FONT: 10pt arial">----- Original Message ----- </DIV>
    <DIV=20
    style=3D"BACKGROUND: #e4e4e4; FONT: 10pt arial; font-color: =
black"><B>From:</B>=20
    <A title=3Dannsam1@earthlink.net=20
    href=3D"mailto:annsam1@earthlink.net">AnnSam</A> </DIV>
    <DIV style=3D"FONT: 10pt arial"><B>To:</B> <A =
title=3Dreflector@tvbf.org=20
    href=3D"mailto:reflector@tvbf.org">reflector@tvbf.org</A> </DIV>
    <DIV style=3D"FONT: 10pt arial"><B>Sent:</B> Monday, June 16, 2003 =
10:53=20
    PM</DIV>
    <DIV style=3D"FONT: 10pt arial"><B>Subject:</B> RE: REFLECTOR:caster =
of=20
    NG</DIV>
    <DIV><BR></DIV>
    <DIV><SPAN class=3D812334802-17062003><FONT face=3DArial =
color=3D#0000ff=20
    size=3D2>You better believe it. It's what keeps it from shimmying. =
Castor is=20
    reward, Kingpin inclination is foward.</FONT></SPAN></DIV>
    <BLOCKQUOTE dir=3Dltr style=3D"MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px">
      <DIV class=3DOutlookMessageHeader dir=3Dltr align=3Dleft><FONT =
face=3DTahoma=20
      size=3D2>-----Original Message-----<BR><B>From:</B> <A=20
      =
href=3D"mailto:reflector-admin@tvbf.org">reflector-admin@tvbf.org</A>=20
      [mailto:reflector-admin@tvbf.org]<B>On Behalf Of </B>Wayne=20
      Owens<BR><B>Sent:</B> Monday, June 16, 2003 9:48 PM<BR><B>To:</B> =
<A=20
      =
href=3D"mailto:reflector@tvbf.org">reflector@tvbf.org</A><BR><B>Subject:<=
/B>=20
      REFLECTOR:caster of NG<BR><BR></FONT></DIV>
      <DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Today I started to install my new =
NG strut.=20
      After leveling the plane I found the new strut was sloped 2 =
degrees&nbsp;=20
      but the in the wrong direction. IE the bottom of the strut was =
further=20
      forward than the top of the fork&nbsp;(bottom of the =
washer).&nbsp;=20
      Brendan confirmed this was correct </FONT><FONT face=3DArial =
size=3D2>for=20
      me.</FONT></DIV>
      <DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
      <DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>&nbsp;I don't believe =
it.</FONT></DIV>
      <DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
      <DIV><FONT face=3DArial><FONT size=3D2><FONT size=3D+0>Caster must =
be reward for=20
      the wheel to be self centering. I think I now see why I could not =
beat the=20
      shimmy problem before.&nbsp; I asked the fellow who designed the =
current=20
      form of Cessna's NG. He said he designed 12 degrees negative for=20
      Cessna</FONT>.</FONT></FONT></DIV>
      <DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
      <DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Various of my mechanical engineer =
friends=20
      confirm that with the positive angle the weight of the aircraft =
will try=20
      to force the wheel out of trail.</FONT></DIV>
      <DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
      <DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>I suspect my old strut had this =
same problem.=20
      Live and learn.&nbsp;</FONT></DIV>
      <DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
      <DIV><FONT face=3DArial=20
size=3D2>Wayne</FONT></DIV></BLOCKQUOTE></BLOCKQUOTE></BLOCKQUOTE></BODY>=
</HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_00A4_01C334AD.E067EE40--