REFLECTOR:caster of NG

AnnSam reflector@tvbf.org
Mon, 16 Jun 2003 22:53:42 -0400


This is a multi-part message in MIME format.

------=_NextPart_000_002C_01C3345A.223B04A0
Content-Type: text/plain;
	charset="iso-8859-1"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

You better believe it. It's what keeps it from shimmying. Castor is reward,
Kingpin inclination is foward.
  -----Original Message-----
  From: reflector-admin@tvbf.org [mailto:reflector-admin@tvbf.org]On Behalf
Of Wayne Owens
  Sent: Monday, June 16, 2003 9:48 PM
  To: reflector@tvbf.org
  Subject: REFLECTOR:caster of NG


  Today I started to install my new NG strut. After leveling the plane I
found the new strut was sloped 2 degrees  but the in the wrong direction. IE
the bottom of the strut was further forward than the top of the fork (bottom
of the washer).  Brendan confirmed this was correct for me.

   I don't believe it.

  Caster must be reward for the wheel to be self centering. I think I now
see why I could not beat the shimmy problem before.  I asked the fellow who
designed the current form of Cessna's NG. He said he designed 12 degrees
negative for Cessna.

  Various of my mechanical engineer friends confirm that with the positive
angle the weight of the aircraft will try to force the wheel out of trail.

  I suspect my old strut had this same problem. Live and learn.

  Wayne

------=_NextPart_000_002C_01C3345A.223B04A0
Content-Type: text/html;
	charset="iso-8859-1"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN">
<HTML><HEAD>
<META http-equiv=3DContent-Type content=3D"text/html; =
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
<META content=3D"MSHTML 6.00.2800.1170" name=3DGENERATOR>
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><SPAN class=3D812334802-17062003><FONT face=3DArial color=3D#0000ff =
size=3D2>You=20
better believe it. It's what keeps it from shimmying. Castor is reward, =
Kingpin=20
inclination is foward.</FONT></SPAN></DIV>
<BLOCKQUOTE dir=3Dltr style=3D"MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px">
  <DIV class=3DOutlookMessageHeader dir=3Dltr align=3Dleft><FONT =
face=3DTahoma=20
  size=3D2>-----Original Message-----<BR><B>From:</B> =
reflector-admin@tvbf.org=20
  [mailto:reflector-admin@tvbf.org]<B>On Behalf Of </B>Wayne=20
  Owens<BR><B>Sent:</B> Monday, June 16, 2003 9:48 PM<BR><B>To:</B>=20
  reflector@tvbf.org<BR><B>Subject:</B> REFLECTOR:caster of=20
  NG<BR><BR></FONT></DIV>
  <DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Today I started to install my new NG =
strut. After=20
  leveling the plane I found the new strut was sloped 2 degrees&nbsp; =
but the in=20
  the wrong direction. IE the bottom of the strut was further forward =
than the=20
  top of the fork&nbsp;(bottom of the washer).&nbsp; Brendan confirmed =
this was=20
  correct </FONT><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>for me.</FONT></DIV>
  <DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
  <DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>&nbsp;I don't believe =
it.</FONT></DIV>
  <DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
  <DIV><FONT face=3DArial><FONT size=3D2><FONT size=3D+0>Caster must be =
reward for the=20
  wheel to be self centering. I think I now see why I could not beat the =
shimmy=20
  problem before.&nbsp; I asked the fellow who designed the current form =
of=20
  Cessna's NG. He said he designed 12 degrees negative for=20
  Cessna</FONT>.</FONT></FONT></DIV>
  <DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
  <DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Various of my mechanical engineer =
friends confirm=20
  that with the positive angle the weight of the aircraft will try to =
force the=20
  wheel out of trail.</FONT></DIV>
  <DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
  <DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>I suspect my old strut had this same =
problem.=20
  Live and learn.&nbsp;</FONT></DIV>
  <DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
  <DIV><FONT face=3DArial =
size=3D2>Wayne</FONT></DIV></BLOCKQUOTE></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_002C_01C3345A.223B04A0--