REFLECTOR:A TOUCHY SUBJECT!

Scott Derrick reflector@tvbf.org
Sat, 14 Jun 2003 11:15:16 -0600


No tax in NM.

Just a yearly fee based on gross weight, I pay  $25 for my Std RG.

Scott

J.P. Brooks wrote:
> A follow up.....
> 
> If you live in 6 states:  Oregon, Nevada, New Hampshire, I believe 
> Florida and two more I can't think of presently, there is NO sales tax.  
> If you have a partner who live in these state you MAY be exempt.  Please 
> correct me if this is not true.  I would welcome the information 
> substantiation.
> 
> 
> 
> At 01:38 PM 6/13/2003 -0700, you wrote:
> 
>> I purchased my kit while living in CO...when I registered it I DID get 
>> a tax bill from the state....AND I had to pay it.....JC
>>
>> Donald Royer <djroyer@earthlink.net> wrote:
>>
>>     In Colorado, you will probably not have to pay any sales tax on
>>     your homebuilt. The State Revenue Department  automatically picks
>>     up all new registrations, but what happens next is kind of murky.
>>     For example when I moved to Colorado ten years ago and reregisterd
>>     my plane, the state tried to collect sales tax on a Mooney that I
>>     had owned for years and for which I was simply updating my
>>     address. However, all that it took to get them to back off was an
>>     irate letter.  Apparently, Colorado does not have a sales tax on
>>     airplane parts only on completed airplanes. When an homebuilt
>>     registration comes through, apparently sometimes the state sends
>>     out a notice and sometimes they don't. Probably depending on which
>>     clerk handles the form letters that day. In my case, I did not get
>>     a notice at all. It has been about two years since I registered my
>>     Velocity and it looks as though I will not get one. Many
>>     homebuilders don't.   When the subject comes up at the local EAA
>>     chapter meeting, the people who did get the form letters say that
>>     it is easy to get the state to back off. Apparently all that is
>>     necessary is a letter stating that you did not purchase the
>>     airplane but that you built it yourself from parts and as far as
>>     you know any relevant sales taxes where paid on the parts at the
>>     time that you purchased the parts.   I am not a lawyer, but that
>>     is the situation in Colorado as far as I know it.   Don   -----
>>     Original Message ----- From: Tom Martino
>>     <mailto:tmartino@troubleshooter.com> To: Velocity Email List
>>     (E-mail) <mailto:reflector@www.tvbf.org> Sent: Friday, June 13,
>>     2003 10:53 AM Subject: REFLECTOR:A TOUCHY SUBJECT!
>>
>>     I hesitate to bring this up ... but it something we all have to
>>     face.  Whenever Iregister a plane with the FAA, I get a notice
>>     shortly after from the State Revenue Department wanting SALES
>>     TAX!  If you don't come up with what they consider to be "fair
>>     market value", they assess a value and make you pay taxes on that!
>>       This is my first homebuilt.  How have you guys valued the plane
>>     for tax purposes?
>>
>>
>> Do you Yahoo!?
>> Free online calendar 
>> <http://us.rd.yahoo.com/mail_us/tag/*http://calendar.yahoo.com> with 
>> sync to Outlook(TM). 
>