REFLECTOR:173 Front Seat Ballast
Ronnie Brown
reflector@tvbf.org
Fri, 13 Jun 2003 13:44:31 -0400
Hi Steve,
I had considered doing what you did originally, then after I started
carrying sand bags around for my load test, decided I'd just do the water
bag thing. But now, it leaks, its ugly and is awkward getting it out from
co pilot floor area.
And as you mention, the nose location puts the weight way up front where it
doesn't take as much. I'm going to build a shelf/pocket to put a 25 lb lead
shot bag up there.
THANKS!
Ronnie
----- Original Message -----
From: "steve" <steve_beilby@yahoo.com.au>
To: "Ronnie Brown" <reflector@tvbf.org>
Sent: Thursday, June 12, 2003 8:26 PM
Subject: Re: REFLECTOR:173 Front Seat Ballast
> Hi Ronnie,
>
> Friday, June 13, 2003, 4:54:42 AM, you wrote:
>
> RB> My weight and balance on my 173 Elite RG with 200 HP Lycoming and
Catto Prop
> RB> says I should fly with 40-50 lbs of ballast in the co-pilot floor when
I am
> RB> flying by myself - I weigh 190 lbs. I recall Alan Shaw saying that
the aft
> RB> CG limit was too conservative due to the flat stall problem, which had
been
> RB> over corrected. I am using a camping water tank that holds 5 gallons,
but
> RB> it is leaking and sure is a pain.
>
> RB> Is anyone flying without ballast and weighs less than 200 lbs in a
173?
>
> I have a 173 rge and I made a 'cupboard' just fwd of the battery box. it
has a
> perspex door so that i can see inside on my preflt chks. it is of course
much
> further fwd than the copilot seat and the floor under the rudder pedals. i
have
> several leadshot ballast bags of various weights that i put in this
cupboard
> when req'd. Due to the fwd position, obviously less weight is req'd.
This
> will only work on an RG as access is through the nose gear doors. Then if
you
> fly to pick up your copilot, I put move ballast bags to under a rear seat.
>
>
> --
> Best regards,
> steve mailto:steve_beilby@yahoo.com.au
>
> _______________________________________________
> To change your email address, visit
http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>
> Visit the gallery! tvbf:jamaicangoose
>