REFLECTOR:Nose Wheel Shimmy Brake Problem

Wayne Owens reflector@tvbf.org
Thu, 12 Jun 2003 21:49:38 -0400


Amen to that.
Wayne  repairs underway.

Ps. I will be testing a new nosewheel locking device when I get airborne
again. The device will allow the pin to pop out if too much side force is
applied.
Wayne
----- Original Message ----- 
From: "Ronnie Brown" <romott@adelphia.net>
To: <reflector@tvbf.org>
Sent: Thursday, June 12, 2003 5:16 PM
Subject: Re: REFLECTOR:Nose Wheel Shimmy Brake Problem


> I have a similar vibration - but it isn't the nose wheel.  I think (as
> someone else has suggested), just a harmonic in the main gear at that
speed
> 20-30 knots.  Brakes work great above and below that speed but at 20-25
> knots I have a pretty strong chatter.  My disks are smooth and straight so
I
> don't think it is a warped disk.  And I don't think it is nose wheel
shimmy.
> Releasing the brakes stops the problem.  Reapplying brakes at this speed,
> and the chatter comes back.
>
> This is not true of our Cessna 172, once the nose wheel starts shimmying
(a
> very common occurrence on Cessnas - especially with the nose wheel pant
> installed), it doesn't stop whether the brakes are applied or not.  Only
if
> the load on the nose wheel is changed (elevator) or the speed is
drastically
> reduced.
>
> Are you sure it is the nose wheel?  How do you turn if you have the nose
> wheel so tight?  I have mine set at 15-20 lbs and I have a hard time
turning
> in the grass.  My understanding is that nose wheel shimmy on Velocities
are
> pretty much catastrophic.
>
> Ronnie
>
>
> ----- Original Message -----
> From: <Don19dw@aol.com>
> To: <reflector@awpi.com>
> Sent: Thursday, June 12, 2003 4:56 PM
> Subject: REFLECTOR:Nose Wheel Shimmy Brake Problem
>
>
> > Have not been able to solve the following problem: when braking to a
stop
> or
> > to turn off runway, get nose wheel shimmy, at low speed, 20 to 30 mph.
The
> > harder the braking the worse the shimmy, and it ceases shortly after
> brakes are
> > released. Have installed latest Matco brake discs and pads. Discs look
> smooth
> > and OK and are properly aligned. Checked nose wheel OK for balance and
not
> out
> > of round. Also have extra tight shimmy damp torque of maybe 30 to 40# of
> force
> > to move tire sideways. Talked to both Matco and Velocity and tried their
> > suggestions.  Only condition I find unusual is nose gear strut is about
7
> degrees
> > forward at bottom end and factory says 2 degrees is normal.
> > Any ideas?????  Did Chris Martin have this problem???
> > Don White     N19DW    XL/RG
> > _______________________________________________
> > To change your email address, visit
> http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
> >
> > Visit the gallery!  tvbf:jamaicangoose
>
> _______________________________________________
> To change your email address, visit
http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>
> Visit the gallery!  tvbf:jamaicangoose