REFLECTOR:Storm Scope Probe
Scott Derrick
reflector@tvbf.org
Thu, 12 Jun 2003 14:32:36 -0600
Your cell phone will work in the plane, but your service provider will
be royally pissed if you use it regularly and probably cancel your account.
Scott
Dave Scharfenberg wrote:
> A friend just showed me his new cell phone. He can get color radar all over
> the country for $3 / month. He said there is a "pilot" plan that gives you
> metars, tafs, etc. for $9 / month. All you have to do is figure out how to
> get your cell phone to work in the plane.
>
> Dave Scharfenberg
>
>
>
> on 6/12/03 12:20 PM, Ronnie Brown at romott@adelphia.net wrote:
>
>
>>That's what I'm waiting for. I made room for a strike finder or WX-500 to
>>link to my Garmin 430 but I'm waiting for a satellite or land based system
>>to display just what you mentioned - at a lower cost. The technology is
>>coming FAST. There are several alternatives out there now and competition
>>breeds lower prices and better capabilities. The data may be a bit slower,
>>but the "view" of the strike finders and WX-500's is limited to pretty much
>>the line in front of you, not much behind that.
>>
>>Ronnie
>>
>>
>>----- Original Message -----
>>From: "Dave Scharfenberg" <dave@winco.net>
>>To: <reflector@tvbf.org>
>>Sent: Thursday, June 12, 2003 12:36 PM
>>Subject: Re: REFLECTOR:Storm Scope Probe
>>
>>
>>
>>>I occasionally fly a King Air 200 equipped with the Bendix / King display
>>>that shows radar images similar to a DTN screen. I think the signal is
>>>uplinked from the ground. It always works well and is great for getting
>>
>>the
>>
>>>big picture, which is what we need for avoiding the weather completely.
>>
>>The
>>
>>>unit also displays onboard radar, traffic, terrain, metars, moving map,
>>>stormscope returns, and probably some stuff I haven't found yet.
>>>
>>>Dave Scharfenberg
>>>
>>>
>>>on 6/11/03 9:30 AM, Alexander Balic at alex157@direcway.com wrote:
>>>
>>>
>>>>I was also, thinking
>>>>about Bob Wood's suggestion about the Satellite weather downlink- it
>>>
>>looks
>>
>>>>really good, but my concern about it is that you are relying on your
>>>
>>weather
>>
>>>>data from an external source, and perhaps it is on a different frequency
>>>>than other satellite links, but I know that my sat TV, and my Sat
>>>
>>internet
>>
>>>>uplink both go down during bad weather, so I would have some concern
>>>
>>about
>>
>>>>reception of the signals just when you really need them most..... anyone
>>>>have any experience with that? I'd like to hear about it, because if the
>>>>signals are reliable in lightning infested areas, then maybe it would be
>>>
>>a
>>
>>>>good alternative.
>>>
>>>_______________________________________________
>>>To change your email address, visit
>>
>>http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>>
>>>Visit the gallery! tvbf:jamaicangoose
>>
>>_______________________________________________
>>To change your email address, visit
>>http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>>
>>Visit the gallery! tvbf:jamaicangoose
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> To change your email address, visit http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>
> Visit the gallery! tvbf:jamaicangoose
>