RG vs. Fixed was :Re: REFLECTOR:accident/incident report

reflector@tvbf.org reflector@tvbf.org
Wed, 04 Jun 2003 00:47:10 +0000


Take it.
> This is my second retract(first one a 48 Bonanza) and both have demanded 
> high maintenance and close inspection of the gear during annuals and 
> pre-flight.  The Velocity's main gear system is very nicely designed for 
> service and use, the nose gear is about standard from what I've seen and 
> appears to be the source of most of the problems.  The nose gear is hard 
> to service and inspect and the fit is pretty tight in some spots.
> 
> I'll take the 10 knots, anytime....
> 
> Scott
> 
> doug.holub@att.net wrote:
> > Amen. It's not worth 10 knots to me.  Plus, and I hope I don't hurt anyone's 
> > feelings here, it seems like half of the KPCs are RG related.  I'm not saying 
> > it's not a safe system, I'm just saying that it would double the complexity of 
> > my airplane.
> > 
> > Doug Holub
> > 
> >>Andy,
> >>
> >>I hate to admit it, but I feel the same way as to my fixed gear SE.  Yeah,
> >>sometimes I have a tinge of reflection of "gee, should I have opted for the
> >>retract", but it ALWAYS passes (even withOUT this kind of report).
> >>
> >>All the best,
> >>
> >>
> >>Chris
> >>
> >>Christopher Barber
> >>Attorney and Counselor at Law
> >>11930 S Sam Houston Pkwy E
> >>Suite 103
> >>Houston, Texas 77089-4755
> >>281-464-LAWS (5297)
> >>281-754-4168 (Fax)
> >>
> >>CBarber@TexasAttorney.net
> >>www.TexasAttorney.net
> >>
> >>-----Original Message-----
> >>From: Andy Millin [mailto:amillin@net-link.net]
> >>Sent: Monday, June 02, 2003 3:27 PM
> >>To: Christopher Barber
> >>Subject: FW: REFLECTOR:accident/incident report
> >>
> >>
> >>You know, every time I see one of these I think I'm the smarter one for
> >>getting the fixed gear.  I'll always be there when it is cured in place.
> >>
> >>I don't want to make light of this guys accident, but ...
> >>
> >>Good for us.
> >>
> >>Andy
> >>
> >>-----Original Message-----
> >>From: reflector-admin@tvbf.org [mailto:reflector-admin@tvbf.org]On
> >>Behalf Of Ronnie Brown
> > 
> > 
> >>Sent: Monday, June 02, 2003 4:20 PM
> >>To: reflector@tvbf.org
> >>Subject: Re: REFLECTOR:accident/incident report
> >>
> >>
> >>Durn, he just started flying his new bird -
> >>
> >>http://www.eaa.org/homebuilders/list/Velocity%20RG%20Elite_Schiferl.asp#TopO
> >>fPage
> >>
> >>----- Original Message -----
> >>From: "steve korney" <s_korney@hotmail.com>
> >>To: <Reflector@tvbf.org>
> >>Sent: Monday, June 02, 2003 3:08 PM
> >>Subject: REFLECTOR:accident/incident report
> >>
> >>
> >>
> >>>IDENTIFICATION
> >>>  Regis#: 942XX        Make/Model: EXP      Description: EXP-VELOCITY
> >>
> >>173/RG
> >>
> >>>  Date: 06/01/2003     Time: 1600
> >>>
> >>>  Event Type: Incident   Highest Injury: None     Mid Air: N    Missing: N
> >>>  Damage:
> >>>
> >>>LOCATION
> >>>  City: WATERTOWN   State: WI   Country: US
> >>>
> >>>DESCRIPTION
> >>>  AIRCRAFT LANDED GEAR UP ON RUNWAY 26 AT WATERTOWN MUNICIPAL AIRPORT
> >>
> >>(RYV)
> >>
> >>>  DURING AIRCRAFT CHECKOUT FLIGHT. WATERTOWN, WI.
> >>>
> >>>INJURY DATA      Total Fatal:   0
> >>>                 # Crew:   1     Fat:   0     Ser:   0     Min:   0
> >>
> >>Unk:
> >>
> >>>                 # Pass:   1     Fat:   0     Ser:   0     Min:   0
> >>
> >>Unk:
> >>
> >>>                 # Grnd:         Fat:   0     Ser:   0     Min:   0
> >>
> >>Unk:
> >>
> >>>WEATHER: KUNU METAR 011555Z AUTO 00000KT 10SM CLR 13/01 A3011
> >>>
> >>>OTHER DATA
> >>>  Activity: Training      Phase: Landing      Operation: General Aviation
> >>>
> >>>  Departed: (RYV) WATERTOWN, WI         Dep Date: 06/01/2003   Dep. Time:
> >>>1545
> >>>  Destination: (UNU) JUNEAU, WI         Flt Plan: NONE         Wx
> >>
> >>Briefing:
> >>
> >>>N
> >>>  Last Radio Cont:
> >>>  Last Clearance:
> >>>
> >>>  FAA FSDO: MILWAUKEE, WI  (GL13)                 Entry date: 06/02/2003
> >>>
> >>>N-number Database Search Result
> >>>Last Database Update: Tue May 6 12:41:12 2003
> >>>To print registration information, check the checkbox for each
> >>
> >>registration
> >>
> >>>to be printed and click on "Retrieve Selected Entries" at the bottom of
> >>
> >>the
> >>
> >>>list.
> >>>
> >>>--------------------------------------------------------------------------
> >>
> >>------
> >>
> >>>N-number                       : N942XX
> >>
> > 
> >>>Aircraft Serial Number         : DMO369
> >>>Aircraft Manufacturer          : SCHIFERL JOSEPH J
> >>>         Model                 : VELOCITY 173/RG-E
> >>>Aircraft Year                  :
> >>>Owner Name                     : SCHIFERL JOSEPH J
> >>>Owner Address                  : N3104 US HIGHWAY 12 # B
> >>>                                 FORT ATKINSON, WI, 53538-9778
> >>>Registration Date              : 15-Apr-1998
> >>>Airworthiness Certificate Type : Not Specified
> >>>
> >>>
> >>>Let's be careful out there...
> >>>
> >>>
> >>>
> >>>Best... Steve
> >>>
> >>>_________________________________________________________________
> >>>Protect your PC - get McAfee.com VirusScan Online
> >>>http://clinic.mcafee.com/clinic/ibuy/campaign.asp?cid=3963
> >>>
> >>>_______________________________________________
> >>>To change your email address, visit
> >>
> >>http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
> >>
> >>>Visit the gallery!  tvbf:jamaicangoose
> >>
> >>_______________________________________________
> >>To change your email address, visit
> > 
> > 
> >>http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
> >>
> >>Visit the gallery!  tvbf:jamaicangoose
> >>
> >>_______________________________________________
> >>To change your email address, visit 
> >>http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
> >>
> >>Visit the gallery!  tvbf:jamaicangoose
> > 
> > _______________________________________________
> > To change your email address, visit 
> http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
> > 
> > Visit the gallery!  tvbf:jamaicangoose
> > 
> 
> 
> _______________________________________________
> To change your email address, visit 
> http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
> 
> Visit the gallery!  tvbf:jamaicangoose