REFLECTOR:Storm Scope Probe

Alexander Balic reflector@tvbf.org
Tue, 10 Jun 2003 09:51:28 -0500


This is a multi-part message in MIME format.

--Boundary_(ID_jmgQi7RrnbinVMFI9BPjdA)
Content-type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii
Content-transfer-encoding: 7BIT

What is the WSI-100 I am unfamiliar with that one? is it the subscription
based system that gives you the weather?
  -----Original Message-----
  From: reflector-admin@tvbf.org [mailto:reflector-admin@tvbf.org]On Behalf
Of SlvEgl99@aol.com
  Sent: Tuesday, June 10, 2003 7:28 AM
  To: reflector@tvbf.org
  Subject: Re: REFLECTOR:Storm Scope Probe


  My antenna is about 4 feet from the tip of the pilot side wing on the
underside. I have about a 2 sq ft aluminum sheet buried under the top layup.
The "antenna" screws into nut plates mounted on the aluminum sheet so I get
good contact.

  I do have indications when the strobes are on, but turn them off and clear
and all is well.
  I just returned to Florida from a flight to Oshkosh and encountered an
area of full blown thunderstorm across the center of Florida. The detector
worked well and told me to just get on the ground and RON. This was
confirmed by weather radar in the FBO when I landed. Weather was clear
except for some puffy cumulus and the thunderstorms. The detector in this
case simply confirmed what I could see, but had it been overcast with
imbedded storms it would have been great.

  In the past I have been able to steer my was clear of scattered storms
using the WX500. It is a good item, but may become useless when I get the
WSI-100 installed which I will do as soon as they have  the software
completed.

  If I were building today I think I would ignore the WX-500 and go to the
WSI-100  InFlight which will also display on the UPSAT MX-20 (when the
software is completed). As I understand it, if the WSI is triggered, the
UPSAT VFR display will
  occupy half of the screen and the weather display the other.

  Bob Wood
  XL FG

  Bob Wood
  XL FG

--Boundary_(ID_jmgQi7RrnbinVMFI9BPjdA)
Content-type: text/html; charset=us-ascii
Content-transfer-encoding: 7BIT

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN">
<HTML><HEAD>
<META http-equiv=Content-Type content="text/html; charset=us-ascii">
<META content="MSHTML 6.00.2800.1170" name=GENERATOR></HEAD>
<BODY>
<DIV><SPAN class=366335014-10062003><FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff size=2>What 
is the WSI-100 I am unfamiliar with that one? is it the subscription based 
system that gives you the weather?</FONT></SPAN></DIV>
<BLOCKQUOTE>
  <DIV class=OutlookMessageHeader dir=ltr align=left><FONT face=Tahoma 
  size=2>-----Original Message-----<BR><B>From:</B> reflector-admin@tvbf.org 
  [mailto:reflector-admin@tvbf.org]<B>On Behalf Of 
  </B>SlvEgl99@aol.com<BR><B>Sent:</B> Tuesday, June 10, 2003 7:28 
  AM<BR><B>To:</B> reflector@tvbf.org<BR><B>Subject:</B> Re: REFLECTOR:Storm 
  Scope Probe<BR><BR></FONT></DIV><FONT face=arial,helvetica><FONT lang=0 
  face=Arial size=2 FAMILY="SANSSERIF">My antenna is about 4 feet from the tip 
  of the pilot side wing on the underside. I have about a 2 sq ft aluminum sheet 
  buried under the top layup. The "antenna" screws into nut plates mounted on 
  the aluminum sheet so I get good contact.<BR><BR>I do have indications when 
  the strobes are on, but turn them off and clear and all is well.<BR>I just 
  returned to Florida from a flight to Oshkosh and encountered an area of full 
  blown thunderstorm across the center of Florida. The detector worked well and 
  told me to just get on the ground and RON. This was confirmed by weather radar 
  in the FBO when I landed. Weather was clear except for some puffy cumulus and 
  the thunderstorms. The detector in this case simply confirmed what I could 
  see, but had it been overcast with imbedded storms it would have been 
  great.<BR><BR>In the past I have been able to steer my was clear of scattered 
  storms using the WX500. It is a good item, but may become useless when I get 
  the WSI-100 installed which I will do as soon as they have&nbsp; the software 
  completed.<BR><BR>If I were building today I think I would ignore the WX-500 
  and go to the WSI-100&nbsp; InFlight which will also display on the UPSAT 
  MX-20 (when the software is completed). As I understand it, if the WSI is 
  triggered, the UPSAT VFR display will <BR>occupy half of the screen and the 
  weather display the other.<BR><BR>Bob Wood<BR>XL FG<BR><BR>Bob Wood<BR>XL 
  FG</FONT> </FONT></BLOCKQUOTE></BODY></HTML>

--Boundary_(ID_jmgQi7RrnbinVMFI9BPjdA)--