REFLECTOR:Aileron Fence

Greg Poole reflector@tvbf.org
Sat, 7 Jun 2003 19:29:04 +1000


Has this topic gone unanswered?

I too would be interested in any of the information on this one that might
have missed the Reflector.

Greg in Sydney
Greg Poole
POOLED RESOURCES PTY LTD
Ph: 9899 2737  Fax: 9899 2726

----- Original Message ----- 
From: "Rene Dugas" <rdugas@bayou.com>
To: <reflector@tvbf.org>
Sent: Friday, May 30, 2003 8:23 AM
Subject: RE: REFLECTOR:Aileron Fence


> I would be interested in dimensions and locations  of fences.
> Thanks,
> Rene'
> XL RG
> rdugas@bayou.com
>
> -----Original Message-----
> From: reflector-admin@tvbf.org [mailto:reflector-admin@tvbf.org] On
> Behalf Of Rodney Brim
> Sent: Thursday, May 22, 2003 9:12 PM
> To: reflector@tvbf.org
> Subject: RE: REFLECTOR:Aileron Fence
>
> Hi Chuck,
>
> 1. I got a >15% reduction in take-off roll on my final version of the
> fences.  Looks like that is attributable to driving the air more
> directly
> over the wing at slower speeds and not having it slide down the wing,
> which
> if you do some dirty oil tests you will see that it is doing.
> 2. It doesn't effect your stall, that's all governed by the canard.
> 3. It feels like it reduces roll rate slightly.  I didn't measure it,
> but
> you can tell the plane has more tail feathers, especially as you move
> the
> fences out along the wing, which I would not suggest.  To me it makes
> the
> plane feel more stable.
> 4. Reduction in cruise speed is dependent upon height of the fences and
> location.  At the location and height I have them, I have no reduction
> in
> cruise speed.
>
> 5. I think they should be standard on the kit... but then what do I
> know.  I
> think everyone should move to forward hinging doors;)
>
> Rodney Brim,
> PS I have a picture and dimensions if you want them.  They probably
> helped
> save my neck as I had an ugly door pop, going inverted stall at 200 feet
> coming off a runway a couple of years ago... sometimes you can use all
> the
> stability and directional control you can get your hands on.
>
>
> -----Original Message-----
> From: reflector-admin@tvbf.org [mailto:reflector-admin@tvbf.org]On
> Behalf Of Chuck Jensen
> Sent: Thursday, May 22, 2003 7:30 AM
> To: 'reflector@tvbf.org'
> Subject: REFLECTOR:Aileron Fence
>
>
> >From the Newsletter, some preliminary flight testing seemed to show
> than an
> inboard aileron fence had merit for reducing takeoff distance,
> increasing
> climb rate and perhaps reducing stall speed while not affecting cruise
> performance and turning characteristics.  Has this become a concensus or
> is
> the jury still out?  And, is there a standard template for such a fence?
>
> Chuck Jensen
> XL RG
>
> _______________________________________________
> To change your email address, visit
> http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>
> Visit the gallery!  tvbf:jamaicangoose
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> To change your email address, visit
> http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>
> Visit the gallery!  tvbf:jamaicangoose
>
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> To change your email address, visit
http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>
> Visit the gallery!  tvbf:jamaicangoose