REFLECTOR:RE: REFLECTOR attitude

Alexander Balic reflector@tvbf.org
Sun, 27 Jul 2003 23:06:47 -0500


This is a multi-part message in MIME format.

--Boundary_(ID_1/KYn1DeaJ5F/YNjLdGYdw)
Content-type: text/plain; charset=iso-8859-1
Content-transfer-encoding: 7BIT

Ronnie,

I agree with you there, I don't appreciate the berating that goes on here
(occasionally) but it wont stop me from contributing, it would be better of
course to explain about why someone disagrees, instead of the  name calling
ect.... because if everyone did the same thing as your friend, then there
would be not exchange of the valuable information that I believe this list
provides.  So hope we all can get back to basics and contribute to this list
without the BS......

Alex

PS And you are right the reflector is much more civilized than most - some
lists are so full of arguments,  name calling, and other useless garbage,
that they are almost completely worthless.
  -----Original Message-----
  From: reflector-admin@tvbf.org [mailto:reflector-admin@tvbf.org]On Behalf
Of Ronnie Brown
  Sent: Sunday, July 27, 2003 5:30 PM
  To: reflector@tvbf.org
  Subject: Re: REFLECTOR:Fw: Testing fuel tanks


  Alex,

  Well, I will say sometimes you have to have tough skin to contribute to
this list - but on the other hand this list is much more civil than most!

  I can't speak for the individual but I have talked with several folks who
felt belittled, berated, and generally shot down when they put their
suggestion on the Reflector.

  We should explain why we don't agree with someone, not shoot them down.
There are NO perfect airplanes nor perfect systems.  The nice thing about
homebuilts is that we get to build them pretty much the way we want.  And we
get to keep improving them.  That's where this list helps us all!

  Ronnie
    ----- Original Message -----
    From: Alexander Balic
    To: reflector@tvbf.org
    Sent: Sunday, July 27, 2003 10:31 AM
    Subject: RE: REFLECTOR:Fw: Testing fuel tanks


    No offense to you Ronnie or your friend, but I don't understand the
logic about why he doesn't want to post on the reflector- is he afraid that
someone will chastise him for something he might say? or is he "punishing"
us for a few bad comments that are posted here on occasion?  Doesn't make
sense to me personally-  I appreciate his input (through you) and actually
might go borrow one of those devices, so good for you for forwarding it to
the group, and I'm sorry that your friend doesn't want to talk to the rest
of us anymore- did he take his ball and go home when he was a kid? (please
don't be offended- that was just a joke) as always, ALL input is
appreciated.

    Alex
      -----Original Message-----
      From: reflector-admin@tvbf.org [mailto:reflector-admin@tvbf.org]On
Behalf Of Ronnie Brown
      Sent: Sunday, July 27, 2003 8:10 AM
      To: reflector@tvbf.org
      Subject: REFLECTOR:Fw: Testing fuel tanks


      I'm forwarding this note from a lurker who has quit writing to the
Reflector because of some bad manners from some of our members.  He is not
the only one that lurks and doesn't write for this very reason.  As you can
see, here's some great information but you wouldn't have gotten it
otherwise.

      So watch your manners and etiquette!  We need all of the input we can
get to make our V's as safe and enjoyable as they can be!  Even bad ideas
spark great discussions and information exchange!!!!!

      See you at Oshkosh!

      Ronnie


      ----- Original Message -----
      From: Ronnie Brown
      To: (omitted at author's request)
      Sent: Sunday, July 27, 2003 10:03 AM
      Subject: Re: Testing fuel tanks


      That sounds like the trick for sure!  What kind of smoke is used?

      And I checked my gas caps yesterday.  Just hooked a 3/8" nylon tube to
the vent, unloaded about 3-4 lung fulls of air into the tanks, put soap suds
on the caps and found nothing.  Took all of 15 minutes to do it.

      I think Don White's idea of checking fuel levels every 30 minutes
while in flight is a super idea (I have a timer set to do the same thing).

      My header tank has a Westach capacitance sender in it and it always
says the header tank is full.  As it should be with 3/8" vent lines, sloping
upwards to a common header then vented out the bottom with the slash cut
toward the front to build pressure - not vacuum in the vent and tank system.
As some else mentioned, there's not a whole lot of fuel head that we are
working with.

      I have seen oil and water lines trap air and impede liquid flow, but a
few bumps or some alternate rudder inputs ought to break these loose.  The
fuel lines should slope downward from the strakes, which will help avoid
this situation.

      I'm going to resend your note (without your name) to the reflector.
Folks should know about the leak checker available at their local Toyota
dealer.

      See ya
      Ronnie

      ----- Original Message -----
        From: DELETED BY AUTHOR'S REQUEST

        To: romott@adelphia.net
        Sent: Saturday, July 26, 2003 8:08 PM
        Subject: Testing fuel tanks


        Hi Ronnie,

        Been watching the continuing thread about pressure testing fuel
tanks. Down at the Toyota dealership, we have a neat tool for diagnosing
evaporative fuel system leaks in cars. It is a flow gauge type unit that can
be calibrated to sense a leak as small as .010" with less than 1 psi
pressure. On top of that, it has the ability to inject smoke into the tank
to make any leak readily apparent. Just the other day I used it to find a
fuel filler cap that would seal in one direction but when rotated 180 deg,
would allow pressure to escape. I had performed a pressure test from an
access port at the engine area and found that the system would hold 775mmHg.
I then removed the cap to release the pressure and then reinstalled the cap.
I road tested the car monitoring the fuel pressure sensor and found that the
tank would not build pressure beyond atm of 761mmHg.

        That would have been hard to find without the smoke.

        Maybe some of the builders could suck up to a tech with a six-pack
abd get their neighborhood wrench to bring a tester home.


--Boundary_(ID_1/KYn1DeaJ5F/YNjLdGYdw)
Content-type: text/html; charset=iso-8859-1
Content-transfer-encoding: 7BIT

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN">
<HTML><HEAD>
<META http-equiv=Content-Type content="text/html; charset=iso-8859-1">
<META content="MSHTML 6.00.2800.1170" name=GENERATOR>
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=#ffffff>
<DIV><SPAN class=446080004-28072003><FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff 
size=2>Ronnie,</FONT></SPAN></DIV>
<DIV><SPAN class=446080004-28072003><FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff 
size=2></FONT></SPAN>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><SPAN class=446080004-28072003><FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff size=2>I 
agree with you there, I don't appreciate the berating that goes on here 
(occasionally) but it wont stop me from contributing, it would be better of 
course to explain about why someone disagrees, instead of the&nbsp; name calling 
ect.... because if everyone did the same thing as your friend, then there would 
be not exchange of the valuable information that I believe this list 
provides.&nbsp; So hope we all can get back to basics and contribute to this 
list without the BS......</FONT></SPAN></DIV>
<DIV><SPAN class=446080004-28072003><FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff 
size=2></FONT></SPAN>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><SPAN class=446080004-28072003><FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff 
size=2>Alex</FONT></SPAN></DIV>
<DIV><SPAN class=446080004-28072003><FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff 
size=2></FONT></SPAN>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><SPAN class=446080004-28072003><FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff size=2>PS And 
you are right the reflector is much more civilized than most - some lists are so 
full of arguments, &nbsp;name calling, and other useless garbage, that they are 
almost completely worthless.</FONT></SPAN></DIV>
<BLOCKQUOTE dir=ltr style="MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px">
  <DIV class=OutlookMessageHeader dir=ltr align=left><FONT face=Tahoma 
  size=2>-----Original Message-----<BR><B>From:</B> reflector-admin@tvbf.org 
  [mailto:reflector-admin@tvbf.org]<B>On Behalf Of </B>Ronnie 
  Brown<BR><B>Sent:</B> Sunday, July 27, 2003 5:30 PM<BR><B>To:</B> 
  reflector@tvbf.org<BR><B>Subject:</B> Re: REFLECTOR:Fw: Testing fuel 
  tanks<BR><BR></FONT></DIV>
  <DIV><FONT size=2>Alex,</FONT></DIV>
  <DIV><FONT size=2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
  <DIV><FONT size=2>Well, I will say sometimes you have to have tough skin to 
  contribute to this list&nbsp;- but on the other hand this list is much more 
  civil than most!&nbsp; </FONT></DIV>
  <DIV><FONT size=2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
  <DIV><FONT size=2>I can't speak for the individual but I have talked with 
  several folks who felt belittled, berated, and generally shot down when they 
  put their suggestion on the Reflector.&nbsp; </FONT></DIV>
  <DIV><FONT size=2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
  <DIV><FONT size=2>We should explain why we don't agree with someone, not shoot 
  them down.&nbsp; There are NO perfect airplanes nor perfect systems.&nbsp; The 
  nice thing about homebuilts is that we get to build them pretty much the way 
  we want.&nbsp; And we get to keep improving them.&nbsp; That's where this list 
  helps us all!</FONT></DIV>
  <DIV><FONT size=2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
  <DIV><FONT size=2>Ronnie</FONT></DIV>
  <BLOCKQUOTE dir=ltr 
  style="PADDING-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; BORDER-LEFT: #000000 2px solid; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px">
    <DIV style="FONT: 10pt arial">----- Original Message ----- </DIV>
    <DIV 
    style="BACKGROUND: #e4e4e4; FONT: 10pt arial; font-color: black"><B>From:</B> 
    <A title=alex157@direcway.com href="mailto:alex157@direcway.com">Alexander 
    Balic</A> </DIV>
    <DIV style="FONT: 10pt arial"><B>To:</B> <A title=reflector@tvbf.org 
    href="mailto:reflector@tvbf.org">reflector@tvbf.org</A> </DIV>
    <DIV style="FONT: 10pt arial"><B>Sent:</B> Sunday, July 27, 2003 10:31 
    AM</DIV>
    <DIV style="FONT: 10pt arial"><B>Subject:</B> RE: REFLECTOR:Fw: Testing fuel 
    tanks</DIV>
    <DIV><BR></DIV>
    <DIV><SPAN class=936402214-27072003><FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff size=2>No 
    offense to you Ronnie or your friend, but I don't understand the logic about 
    why he doesn't want to post on the reflector- is he afraid that someone will 
    chastise him for something he might say? or is he "punishing" us for a few 
    bad comments that are posted here on occasion?&nbsp; Doesn't make sense to 
    me personally-&nbsp; I appreciate his input (through you) and actually might 
    go borrow one of those devices, so good for you for forwarding it to the 
    group, and I'm sorry that your friend doesn't want to talk to the rest of us 
    anymore- did he take his ball and go home when he was a kid? (please don't 
    be offended- that was just a joke) as always, ALL input is 
    appreciated.</FONT></SPAN></DIV>
    <DIV><SPAN class=936402214-27072003><FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff 
    size=2></FONT></SPAN>&nbsp;</DIV>
    <DIV><SPAN class=936402214-27072003><FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff 
    size=2>Alex</FONT></SPAN></DIV>
    <BLOCKQUOTE dir=ltr style="MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px">
      <DIV class=OutlookMessageHeader dir=ltr align=left><FONT face=Tahoma 
      size=2>-----Original Message-----<BR><B>From:</B> reflector-admin@tvbf.org 
      [mailto:reflector-admin@tvbf.org]<B>On Behalf Of </B>Ronnie 
      Brown<BR><B>Sent:</B> Sunday, July 27, 2003 8:10 AM<BR><B>To:</B> 
      reflector@tvbf.org<BR><B>Subject:</B> REFLECTOR:Fw: Testing fuel 
      tanks<BR><BR></FONT></DIV>
      <DIV><FONT size=2>I'm forwarding this note from a lurker who has quit 
      writing to the Reflector because of some bad manners from some of our 
      members.&nbsp;&nbsp;He is not the only one that lurks and doesn't write 
      for this very reason.&nbsp; As you can see, here's some great information 
      but you wouldn't have gotten it otherwise.</FONT></DIV>
      <DIV><FONT size=2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
      <DIV><FONT size=2>So watch your manners and etiquette!&nbsp; We need all 
      of the input we can get to make our V's as safe and enjoyable as they can 
      be!&nbsp; Even bad ideas spark great discussions and information 
      exchange!!!!!</FONT></DIV>
      <DIV><FONT size=2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
      <DIV><FONT size=2>See you at Oshkosh!</FONT></DIV>
      <DIV><FONT size=2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
      <DIV><FONT size=2>Ronnie </FONT></DIV>
      <DIV><FONT size=2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
      <DIV><FONT size=2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
      <DIV style="FONT: 10pt arial">----- Original Message ----- 
      <DIV style="BACKGROUND: #e4e4e4; font-color: black"><B>From:</B> <A 
      title=romott@adelphia.net href="mailto:romott@adelphia.net">Ronnie 
      Brown</A> </DIV>
      <DIV><B>To:</B> (omitted at author's request)</DIV>
      <DIV><B>Sent:</B> Sunday, July 27, 2003 10:03 AM</DIV>
      <DIV><B>Subject:</B> Re: Testing fuel tanks</DIV></DIV>
      <DIV><FONT size=2></FONT><BR></DIV>
      <DIV><FONT size=2>That sounds like the trick for sure!&nbsp; What kind of 
      smoke is used?</FONT></DIV>
      <DIV><FONT size=2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
      <DIV><FONT size=2>And I checked my gas caps yesterday.&nbsp; Just hooked a 
      3/8" nylon&nbsp;tube to the vent, unloaded about 3-4 lung fulls of air 
      into the tanks, put soap suds on the caps and found nothing.&nbsp; Took 
      all of 15 minutes to do it.&nbsp; </FONT></DIV>
      <DIV><FONT size=2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
      <DIV><FONT size=2>I think Don White's idea of checking fuel levels every 
      30 minutes while in flight is a super idea (I have a timer set to do the 
      same thing).</FONT></DIV>
      <DIV><FONT size=2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
      <DIV><FONT size=2>My header tank has a Westach capacitance sender in it 
      and it always says&nbsp;the header tank is full.&nbsp; As it should be 
      with 3/8" vent lines, sloping upwards to a common header then vented out 
      the bottom with the slash cut toward the front to build pressure - not 
      vacuum in the vent and tank system.&nbsp; As some else mentioned, there's 
      not a whole lot of fuel head that we are working with.&nbsp; </FONT></DIV>
      <DIV><FONT size=2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
      <DIV><FONT size=2>I have seen oil and water lines trap air and impede 
      liquid flow, but a few bumps or some alternate rudder inputs ought to 
      break these loose.&nbsp; The fuel lines should slope downward from the 
      strakes, which will help avoid this situation.</FONT></DIV>
      <DIV><FONT size=2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
      <DIV><FONT size=2>I'm going to resend your note (without your name) to the 
      reflector.&nbsp; Folks should know about the leak checker available at 
      their local Toyota dealer.</FONT></DIV>
      <DIV><FONT size=2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
      <DIV><FONT size=2>See ya</FONT></DIV>
      <DIV><FONT size=2>Ronnie</FONT></DIV>
      <DIV><FONT size=2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
      <DIV>----- Original Message ----- </DIV>
      <BLOCKQUOTE dir=ltr 
      style="PADDING-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; BORDER-LEFT: #000000 2px solid; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px">
        <DIV 
        style="BACKGROUND: #e4e4e4; FONT: 10pt arial; font-color: black"><B>From: 
        DELETED BY AUTHOR'S REQUEST</B></DIV>
        <DIV 
        style="BACKGROUND: #e4e4e4; FONT: 10pt arial; font-color: black">&nbsp;</DIV>
        <DIV 
        style="BACKGROUND: #e4e4e4; FONT: 10pt arial; font-color: black"><B>To:</B> 
        <A title=romott@adelphia.net 
        href="mailto:romott@adelphia.net">romott@adelphia.net</A> </DIV>
        <DIV style="FONT: 10pt arial"><B>Sent:</B> Saturday, July 26, 2003 8:08 
        PM</DIV>
        <DIV style="FONT: 10pt arial"><B>Subject:</B> Testing fuel tanks</DIV>
        <DIV><FONT size=2></FONT><FONT size=2></FONT><FONT size=2></FONT><FONT 
        size=2></FONT><BR></DIV>
        <DIV>Hi Ronnie,</DIV>
        <DIV><FONT size=2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
        <DIV>Been watching the continuing thread about pressure testing fuel 
        tanks. Down at the Toyota dealership, we have a neat tool for diagnosing 
        evaporative fuel system leaks in cars. It is a flow gauge type unit that 
        can be calibrated to sense a leak as small as .010" with less than 1 psi 
        pressure. On top of that, it has the ability to inject smoke into the 
        tank to make any leak readily apparent. Just the other day I used it to 
        find a fuel filler cap that would seal in one direction but when rotated 
        180 deg, would allow pressure to escape. I had performed a pressure test 
        from an access port at the engine area and found that the system would 
        hold 775mmHg. I then removed the cap to release the pressure and then 
        reinstalled the cap. I road tested the car monitoring the fuel pressure 
        sensor and found that the tank would not build pressure beyond atm of 
        761mmHg.</DIV>
        <DIV><FONT size=2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
        <DIV>That would have been hard to find without the smoke.</DIV>
        <DIV><FONT size=2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
        <DIV>Maybe some of the builders could suck up to a tech with a six-pack 
        abd get their neighborhood wrench to bring a tester home.</DIV>
        <DIV><FONT size=2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
        <DIV><FONT 
size=2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV></BLOCKQUOTE></BLOCKQUOTE></BLOCKQUOTE></BLOCKQUOTE></BODY></HTML>

--Boundary_(ID_1/KYn1DeaJ5F/YNjLdGYdw)--