REFLECTOR:Low fuel light

Brett Ferrell reflector@tvbf.org
Sat, 26 Jul 2003 20:29:29 -0400


Keith,

I still think that each tank tank should be indepedently vented for safety,
from over or under pressurization.  Here's a physics-based reason you might
want a vent.  Say your fuel contains entrained air from splashing in the
tanks at filling tmie....  you start flying and the vapor pressure in the
tanks goes down due to altitude... air bubbles come out of solution and you
have 2-phase flow, with large bubbles particularly gathering/frothing in top
of the sump as the velocity changes (leaving a small pipe to the wide
sump).... then that bubble is allowed to go to vent rather than down the
drain to the engine.  Does that really happen?  Dunno, but I think it could,
and I still don't see any solid theory as to what problem the sump vent can
cause.

Brett

----- Original Message ----- 
From: "KeithHallsten" <KeithHallsten@quiknet.com>
To: <reflector@tvbf.org>
Sent: Saturday, July 26, 2003 7:02 PM
Subject: Re: REFLECTOR:Low fuel light


> John,
{snip}
>
> Can anyone make a physics-based case that the sump tank vent should be
used?
> It would make my day to find out that I've overlooked something!
>
> Keith
>
>
> ----- Original Message ----- 
> From: "John Dibble" <aminetech@dixie-net.com>
> To: <reflector@tvbf.org>
> Sent: Saturday, July 26, 2003 12:19 PM
> Subject: Re: REFLECTOR:Low fuel light
>
>