REFLECTOR:Low fuel light

reflector@tvbf.org reflector@tvbf.org
Sat, 26 Jul 2003 18:22:04 EDT


--part1_168.21e94c82.2c54590c_boundary
Content-Type: text/plain; charset="US-ASCII"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

On my XL, the only time I ever see any low fuel flashing light is at 10,500 
feet or so. That has happened twice, once over Southern California going over 
the mountains, and once here in Florida seeking a way past a thunderstorm. In 
both cases I was at cruise, but obviously had an increased angle of attack due 
to thin air at altitude (or so I thought). The warning light would flash on 
for a second then be off for 5-10 seconds then flash again. As soon as I started 
a descent the light remained off.

I attrubuted this to "mushing along" a bit at high altitude and reduced air 
speed causing high pressure on the vent line.  Maybe just a stupid thought, but 
it gave me confidence to remain at that altitude and complete the flight that 
I wanted to. 

Bob Wood

--part1_168.21e94c82.2c54590c_boundary
Content-Type: text/html; charset="US-ASCII"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<HTML><FONT FACE=3Darial,helvetica><FONT  SIZE=3D2 FAMILY=3D"SANSSERIF" FACE=
=3D"Arial" LANG=3D"0">On my XL, the only time I ever see any low fuel flashi=
ng light is at 10,500 feet or so. That has happened twice, once over Souther=
n California going over the mountains, and once here in Florida seeking a wa=
y past a thunderstorm. In both cases I was at cruise, but obviously had an i=
ncreased angle of attack due to thin air at altitude (or so I thought). The=20=
warning light would flash on for a second then be off for 5-10 seconds then=20=
flash again. As soon as I started a descent the light remained off.<BR>
<BR>
I attrubuted this to "mushing along" a bit at high altitude and reduced air=20=
speed causing high pressure on the vent line.&nbsp; Maybe just a stupid thou=
ght, but it gave me confidence to remain at that altitude and complete the f=
light that I wanted to. <BR>
<BR>
Bob Wood</FONT></HTML>

--part1_168.21e94c82.2c54590c_boundary--