REFLECTOR:Re: Sump vent

KeithHallsten reflector@tvbf.org
Thu, 24 Jul 2003 23:07:57 -0700


Pat,

Thanks for the data point on the sump tank venting.  As I said, that's what
I would expect, so it's nice to have some confirmation.

I also thought it was quite interesting that the report on Don White's
adventure landing on I-95 (that Simon posted today) included the note (near
the end) that the Velocity Factory (at that time) recommended placing the
"burp" valve in the sump vent!  I would be curious to know how many
Velocities are now flying so equipped, and whether any difference in the
function of the fuel system has resulted.

My engine is being overhauled at Ly-Con in Visalia, so I can't check any
clearances to the exhaust system until it is finished in October.  If I have
any problem I'll let you know!

Keith


----- Original Message ----- 
From: "Pat Shea" <xl340hp@yahoo.com>
To: <reflector@tvbf.org>
Sent: Thursday, July 24, 2003 9:27 PM
Subject: Re: REFLECTOR:Re: Sump vent


> Keith,
>
> I actually did this experiment already on my XL the
> last time we had an uneven fuel flow brainstorm on the
> reflector...
>
> I didn't prove anything about how the system will work
> (or not) without a sump vent, just that if air is
> introduced into the sump that it will not get trapped
> there without a sump vent.
>
> Hope the exhaust works well for you - how are your
> clearances (cowl, b-nut, intakes, etc...)??
>
> Pat
>
> --- KeithHallsten <KeithHallsten@quiknet.com> wrote:
> > Pat,
> >
> > I strongly suspect you are right, but I haven't
> > proven this experimentally.
> > That's why I'd be willing to forego the sump vent.
> > With 3/8" vents to the
> > strakes and 3/8" fuel lines from the strakes to the
> > sump, I think the need
> > for a vent from the sump tank is unlikely.
> >
> > By the way, my "Y" exhaust stacks from Custom
> > Aircraft Parts arrived and
> > look good.  Thanks for the recommendation!
> >
> > Keith
> >
> >
> > ----- Original Message ----- 
> > From: "Pat Shea" <xl340hp@yahoo.com>
> > To: <reflector@tvbf.org>
> > Sent: Thursday, July 24, 2003 12:03 PM
> > Subject: Re: REFLECTOR:Low fuel light
> >
> >
> > > FWIW - If you were to block off the fuel lines
> > going  from the strakes to
> > the sump, drain your sump completely, close the sump
> > vent, and then release
> > the fuel lines, the sump would refill almost
> > completely.  The air in the
> > sump simply vents via the fuel inlet lines from
> > whichever strake is at a
> > lower pressure.  The pocket of air at the top of a
> > sumps in plane's without
> > sump vents is just air trapped above the fuel inlet
> > lines.
> >
> >
> > _______________________________________________
> > To change your email address, visit
> > http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
> >
> > Visit the gallery!  tvbf:jamaicangoose
>
>
>
> __________________________________
> Do you Yahoo!?
> Yahoo! SiteBuilder - Free, easy-to-use web site design software
> http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com
> _______________________________________________
> To change your email address, visit
http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>
> Visit the gallery!  tvbf:jamaicangoose