REFLECTOR:Rudder pedal travel

Pat Shea reflector@tvbf.org
Thu, 24 Jul 2003 15:50:00 -0700 (PDT)


Al,

Here are some old posts I found on the subject:

>From Don White:
 Added doubler to each side of push tubes, moving
attach bolt for each pedal 1/2" AFT. This allows brake
pedal and rudder cable attach hole to a move about 1
1/4"`AFT. Rudder pedal stop for aft movement must also
be moved AFT and brake cylinder push block is adjusted
maximum FWD. RESULT - you now have about 1" additional
rudder cable pull, PRIOR TO ANY BRAKE ACTION.
Naturally rudder cables need to be shortened or
adjusted shorter to take advantage of this mod.  

>From Travis Holland:
Post 1: I Extend the arm that comes down from the
brake pedal assy. I bring it down to just above where
the carpet will lay on the floor. This will do two
things, First it brings the rudder cable more in line
with the rudder tubing, second it lengthens the throw
of the arm. By doing this I can get more than the four
inches called for...Travis ( Builder Assist Center)

Post 2: Keith;  The first time I tried it I took a
piece of steel tubing  that would just fit over the
outside of the rudder tube, cut the rudder tube and
spliced it in using AN3 bolts. I was adding about one
and one quarter inch to the length of the rudder arm.
I did this with the pedal assy. still on the plane. It
worked so well that the last three that I worked on I
had Al in the machine shop weld new tubes on before I
mounted the assy. The only draw back to this I see is
you have to be more careful about rudder adjustment,
because you can overrun the amount of travel the
rudder has. I adjust the cables after the brakes are
bled by depressing the brake pedal all the way  it
will go , move rudder to it's maximun outward travel,
at that point set cable tight.  The last step is to
install a bracket to limit the rudder arm to return
only to the point that the rudder is returned and the
cable is tight.  I hope tha! t makes sense to you,let
me know if i can add to that.  I did make that
suggestion but i'm low man on the totem pole and what
do I know.  Travis ( Builder Assist Center)

--- Al Gietzen <ALVentures@msn.com> wrote:
> I recall awhile back in a discussion of rudder
> travel and braking;
> someone suggested putting spacer blocks between the
> canard bulkhead and
> the pedal assembly mounting block, to space the
> pedals further from the
> bulkhead.  I believe the objective was to provide
> more rudder travel
> before the brakes applied.
> 
>  
> 
> I'm not sure what I missed, but wondered if that
> also required
> replacement of the push tubes to allow more free
> travel.  Maybe that
> person recalls and can remind us of what that was
> about, and how to
> achieve it.
> 
>  
> 
> Thanks,
> 
>  
> 
> Al
> 
> 


__________________________________
Do you Yahoo!?
Yahoo! SiteBuilder - Free, easy-to-use web site design software
http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com