REFLECTOR:Accidents, statistics and random thoughts

Ronnie Brown reflector@tvbf.org
Wed, 23 Jul 2003 20:41:00 -0400


I think that is a GREAT idea - an anonymous list in tvbf.org where folks
could post their errors/oversights and lessons learned!!!  I've got a couple
I would like to share!

Ronnie

----- Original Message -----
From: "Tony Babb" <tonybabb@alejandra.net>
To: <reflector@tvbf.org>
Sent: Wednesday, July 23, 2003 8:30 PM
Subject: Re: REFLECTOR:Accidents, statistics and random thoughts


| Given that Velocity Aircraft is a US based company they are,
unfortunately,
| subject to US law and (sorry Chris) US lawyers so liability is clearly an
| issue they and ourselves need to be sensitive to. It doesn't help any of
us
| if they get hit with some major judgment against them just because they
| happened to be the deepest pockets around and go belly up as a result.
|
| I don't know about everyone else but I subscribe to numerous flying mags
and
| assiduously read the incident reports, often shaking my head and thinking
| "what was (s)he thinking of" and occasionally thinking I could have easily
| done that. It's through these that I learn from other people's
experiences.
| The "stupid builder tricks" in VV is always helpful - although the
| commentary could be toned down a little - and a factual recitation or
| defense by the builder might also be illuminating. I don't believe that
| anyone installs anything badly deliberately and it would be helpful to
learn
| about the chain of events or piece of missing information that led up to
the
| situation discovered during the Condition Inspection. Like many, or most,
of
| you I'm trying to build a safe reliable airplane, I've never done it
before
| and I'll probably never do it again. I take as much care as I can but
| there's always going to be something that I was completely unaware of that
| may trip me up hence the "second pair of eyes" approach.
|
| Those of you in the US may subscribe to the FAA ASRS program, pilots can
| report their own "stupid tricks" and because they shared their experiences
| voluntarily are spared any FAA enforcement action that may ensue - unless
| they did something illegal or knowingly. Would it be possible for us to
use
| an anonymous posting service so that builders can share their "stupid
| tricks" or lessons learned with the rest of us. I'm thinking maybe
tvbf.org
| might be a suitable repository.
|
| Tony
| SEFG
| Nose Gear install
|
| _______________________________________________
| To change your email address, visit
http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
|
| Visit the gallery!  tvbf:jamaicangoose
|