REFLECTOR:Accidents, statistics and random thoughts
Chuck Jensen
reflector@tvbf.org
Wed, 23 Jul 2003 14:00:55 -0400
Simon, you make an good point about access to information. This is why the
information needs to be solicited directly from the kit builder. The
"stuff" in an NTSB is pretty thin gruel, much of which is written in pale
bureaucratezes.
Now that you point it out, I agree that Scott's demurral that Velocity just
knows what they read in the NTSB, is, well, humorous but understandable.
I'm sure they would like to know more, much more, but they also suffer from
the lack of a centralized repository of information. This lack of
information makes assessing areas where Velocity could better serve its
customers and pilots more difficult. Without a doubt, all the kit companies
suffer from the same information shortcomings.
I'll bet the kit companies would be pretty forthcoming with information and
welcome additional information that would fill out gaps in their knowledge
if they knew the information wouldn't be used by others to bludgeon them
competitively. Perhaps they could enter into a "gentlemen's agreement." I
would think Velocity would have no difficulties entering into such an
agreement since they seem to be well populated by gentlemen (and
gentlewomen). Surely some one else could say the same for other kit
manufacturers, no?
Chuck
-----Original Message-----
From: reflector-admin@tvbf.org [mailto:reflector-admin@tvbf.org]On
Behalf Of Simon Aegerter
Sent: Wednesday, July 23, 2003 9:54 AM
To: reflector@tvbf.org
Subject: Re: REFLECTOR:Accidents, statistics and random thoughts
Scott:
Your points are well taken and I agree with or at least understand
most of your arguments. However, I have to take issue with the
following statement:
>That data that comes into the factory
>following accidents and incidents is no different, and no more complete
than
>what is reported in the NTSB report.
I have in my collection of Velocity accidents and incidents 48 items
of which only 35 ever made it to the NTSB files. The other 13 either
happened abroad or escaped the NTSB's attention. Yet I am certain
that the factory is aware of all of them and then some. In fact, I
have the information about some of them from you people. In
conversations with the Swings I am often impressed by the amount of
detailed knowledge about the chain of events that led to an accident
and that went far beyond the published NTSB report.
Besides, I think the factory would do a lousy job of safety analysis
if they were to limit themselves to reading the NTSP reports.
Obviously and rightfully, they don't.
Best
Simon
--
Simon Aegerter, Wollerau, Switzerland
_______________________________________________
To change your email address, visit
http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
Visit the gallery! tvbf:jamaicangoose