REFLECTOR:V's vs L's
Greg Poole
reflector@tvbf.org
Sat, 19 Jul 2003 11:50:16 +1000
Scott et al.,
Stats, damn lies and statistics!
Without knowing the number of Lancairs flying compared to Velocitys, there
is absolutely no way you can draw any conclusions on relative safety between
the two.
I had one friend tell me that L's sell to V's in a ratio 18:1 but I guess
the factory would have more of an accurate idea of such relativities. Even
if 10:1 were right, it would make the V safety record look pretty sick based
on the stats for total accidents provided below (admittedly the ratio of
fatals to accidents look better but how significant is this if we have a
higher % of total flying as fatals??). ....and what about flying hours?
This could make a huge difference to the result if one group flies
significantly more than the other.
Nah, .....if I can share a few things my late father used to say that seem
to fit here; - "relativities are odious", &, "pointing out the guilt of
others does nothing to prove one's own innocence".
Food for deeper thought!
Greg in Sydney.
----- Original Message -----
From: "Scott Derrick" <scott@tnstaafl.net>
To: <reflector@tvbf.org>
Sent: Friday, July 18, 2003 3:35 PM
Subject: REFLECTOR:V's vs L's
> A quik and very unscientific search of the NTSB records shows
>
> From 95 to this year
>
> Lancairs 47 accidents , 18 were fatal
>
> Velocitys 24 accidents, 6 were fatal
>
> I don't have any idea how many Lancairs are flying or Velocitys.
>
> I don't know why 1 out of 2.5 accidents in Lancairs are fatal while
> Velocity's are 1 out of 4?
>
> I do think the Velocity is safer than most.
>
> Scott
>
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> To change your email address, visit
http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>
> Visit the gallery! tvbf:jamaicangoose