REFLECTOR:Secondary fire detection

Jeffrey Clough reflector@tvbf.org
Thu, 17 Jul 2003 23:10:11 -0800


This is a multi-part message in MIME format.

------=_NextPart_000_0012_01C34CB8.92832EB0
Content-Type: text/plain;
	charset="iso-8859-1"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

I agree!    I think we were just 'what if-ing' a SIMPLE  fail safe way =
to rule out a false positive due to the points you mention...I certainly =
do not want to add a MORE complex system to monitor the original/simpler =
system of thermal fuses (which I plan to have). I certainly do not have =
the answer yet!

----- Original Message -----=20
From: "Scott Derrick" <scott@tnstaafl.net>
To: <reflector@tvbf.org>
Sent: Thursday, July 17, 2003 9:10 PM
Subject: Re: REFLECTOR:Secondary fire detection


> I wonder about fire detection equipment.
>=20
> You don't want false positives, that could be as bad or worse than a=20
> real fire.  If I thought I was on fire I'm throwing the gear out, the=20
> speed brake, at cruise speed, pulling the engine back to idle and =
shock=20
> cooling that mother on the way down at one knot under VNE!  TO find =
out=20
> later that you put your gear doors through the prop and then landed =
off=20
> field and removed the rest of the gear because of a false alarm... not =
good.
>=20
> I keep hearing ideas about multiple sensors, multiple cameras, MUX =
boxes=20
> and what not. My cynical nature says "Boy these folks have never owned =

> and maintained a flying airplane before."  It takes a major amount of=20
> time and money to keep a standard radio stack alive and well, now you=20
> want to add more?
>=20
> I realize that an engine fire is not as apparent in a pusher, but=20
> exactly how many airplanes have gone down because of a fire where =
people=20
> died?  Would money and time be better spent on really clean and secure =

> engine installations?
>=20
> Scott
>=20
>=20
>=20
> Fred Marconi wrote:
> > SOME TYPE OF TEMPERATURE MEASURING DEVICE WOULD BE THE SIMPLEST WITH =
A
> > WARNING SIGNAL WHEN THE TEMPERATURE GETS ABOVE A CERTAIN LEVEL.  at =
THAT
> > POINT NO QUESTIONS ASKED CONSIDER THE HIGH TEMPERATURE A SIGN OF =
FIRE AND
> > LAND.
> >=20
> > FRED
> >=20
> > ----- Original Message -----=20
> > From: "Hiroo Umeno" <humeno@microsoft.com>
> > To: <reflector@tvbf.org>
> > Sent: Thursday, July 17, 2003 2:45 PM
> > Subject: RE: REFLECTOR:Secondary fire detection
> >=20
> >=20
> >=20
> >>Pat,
> >>
> >>CCDs are quite vulnerable to heat.  You need to look at the data =
sheets
> >>for the operating temperature range.  The heat inside the engine
> >>compartment is likely to far exceed the allowable heat rating of =
most
> >>low-cost CCDs.
> >>
> >>As for switcher, I am currently designing a 4:1 video mux based on
> >>LT1204 device and a PIC.  I am intending to put this in the same =
housing
> >>with the LCD so that there are four buttons that corresponds to each
> >>cams I can switch through.  The cool thing about using the PIC is =
that I
> >>can set it to "scan" every so often as well.
> >>
> >>I am thinking of mounting cams on the following locations.  Co-pilot
> >>side bottom winglet (180 degree pan), under nose looking =
forward-down,
> >>overhead duct capturing panel.
> >>
> >>For supplies of LCD panels, Earth Computing (www.earthlcd.com) =
usually
> >>has some good selection of them.  You can also scour some of the =
surplus
> >>electronics outlet and get a fairly good deal if you are not =
particular
> >>about specific device you are looking for.
> >>
> >>Hiroo
> >>
> >>
> >>-----Original Message-----
> >>From: reflector-admin@tvbf.org [mailto:reflector-admin@tvbf.org] On
> >>Behalf Of Pat Shea
> >>Sent: Thursday, July 17, 2003 11:23 AM
> >>To: reflector@tvbf.org
> >>Subject: RE: REFLECTOR:Secondary fire detection
> >>
> >>Hiroo,
> >>
> >>I'm leaning towards keeping the small CCD cams in the
> >>engine compartment primarily for fire detection. It
> >>looks like it's going to take two to get full coverage
> >>of the critical areas. There may also be some benefit,
> >>at least during the tweaking stage, of being able to
> >>see/record what's going on inside the cowl during
> >>flight (tuft testing?). Two cams either means an A/B
> >>switch, two monitors, or a split screen. I was able to
> >>find a company that sells a color, waterproof,
> >>"helmet" cam w/ a cool aluminum protective mount:
> >>www.helmetcamera.com. I haven't had a chance to look
> >>at LCD monitors yet (or the ability to split the
> >>screen) - any leads on a good source for these??
> >>
> >>Pat
> >>
> >>--- Hiroo Umeno <humeno@microsoft.com> wrote:
> >>
> >>>One idea may be to install the "wingtip cam".  I
> >>>have been researching
> >>>this but one could install a small CCD camera on the
> >>>wingtip (perhaps on
> >>>the lower winglet) that can be panned.  Not only it
> >>>would offer a way to
> >>>"see" if your cowl is blowing smoke / fire but it
> >>>will also serve as
> >>>"rear-view mirror" when starting engine, and offer a
> >>>feed for your
> >>>in-flight footage.
> >>>
> >>>
> >>>
> >>>The cameras can be had for less than $100 these
> >>>days, and a small LCD
> >>>monitors can be had for about the same.
> >>>
> >>>
> >>>
> >>>Hiroo
> >>
> >>
> >>
> >>__________________________________
> >>Do you Yahoo!?
> >>SBC Yahoo! DSL - Now only $29.95 per month!
> >>http://sbc.yahoo.com
> >>_______________________________________________
> >>To change your email address, visit
> >>http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
> >>
> >>Visit the gallery!  tvbf:jamaicangoose
> >>
> >>_______________________________________________
> >>To change your email address, visit
> >=20
> > http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
> >=20
> >>Visit the gallery!  tvbf:jamaicangoose
> >>
> >=20
> >=20
> > _______________________________________________
> > To change your email address, visit =
http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
> >=20
> > Visit the gallery!  tvbf:jamaicangoose
> >=20
>=20
>=20
> _______________________________________________
> To change your email address, visit =
http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>=20
> Visit the gallery!  tvbf:jamaicangoose
------=_NextPart_000_0012_01C34CB8.92832EB0
Content-Type: text/html;
	charset="iso-8859-1"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN">
<HTML><HEAD>
<META http-equiv=3DContent-Type content=3D"text/html; =
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
<META content=3D"MSHTML 6.00.2800.1141" name=3DGENERATOR>
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY style=3D"COLOR: #000000; FONT-FAMILY: Arial">
<DIV><STRONG><FONT size=3D4>I agree!&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; I think we were =
just 'what=20
if-ing' a <U>SIMPLE</U>&nbsp; fail safe way to <U>rule out</U> a false =
positive=20
due to the points you mention...I certainly do not want to =
add&nbsp;a&nbsp;MORE=20
complex system to monitor the original/simpler system of thermal fuses =
(which I=20
plan to have). I certainly do not have the answer =
yet!</FONT></STRONG></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><STRONG><FONT size=3D4>----- Original Message ----- =
</FONT></STRONG>
<DIV><STRONG><FONT size=3D4>From: "Scott Derrick" &lt;</FONT></STRONG><A =

href=3D"mailto:scott@tnstaafl.net"><STRONG><FONT=20
size=3D4>scott@tnstaafl.net</FONT></STRONG></A><STRONG><FONT=20
size=3D4>&gt;</FONT></STRONG></DIV>
<DIV><STRONG><FONT size=3D4>To: &lt;</FONT></STRONG><A=20
href=3D"mailto:reflector@tvbf.org"><STRONG><FONT=20
size=3D4>reflector@tvbf.org</FONT></STRONG></A><STRONG><FONT=20
size=3D4>&gt;</FONT></STRONG></DIV>
<DIV><STRONG><FONT size=3D4>Sent: Thursday, July 17, 2003 9:10=20
PM</FONT></STRONG></DIV>
<DIV><STRONG><FONT size=3D4>Subject: Re: REFLECTOR:Secondary fire=20
detection</FONT></STRONG></DIV></DIV>
<DIV><STRONG><BR><FONT size=3D4></FONT></STRONG></DIV><STRONG><FONT =
size=3D4>&gt; I=20
wonder about fire detection equipment.<BR>&gt; <BR>&gt; You don't want =
false=20
positives, that could be as bad or worse than a <BR>&gt; real =
fire.&nbsp; If I=20
thought I was on fire I'm throwing the gear out, the <BR>&gt; speed =
brake, at=20
cruise speed, pulling the engine back to idle and shock <BR>&gt; cooling =
that=20
mother on the way down at one knot under VNE!&nbsp; TO find out <BR>&gt; =
later=20
that you put your gear doors through the prop and then landed off =
<BR>&gt; field=20
and removed the rest of the gear because of a false alarm... not =
good.<BR>&gt;=20
<BR>&gt; I keep hearing ideas about multiple sensors, multiple cameras, =
MUX=20
boxes <BR>&gt; and what not. My cynical nature says "Boy these folks =
have never=20
owned <BR>&gt; and maintained a flying airplane before."&nbsp; It takes =
a major=20
amount of <BR>&gt; time and money to keep a standard radio stack alive =
and well,=20
now you <BR>&gt; want to add more?<BR>&gt; <BR>&gt; I realize that an =
engine=20
fire is not as apparent in a pusher, but <BR>&gt; exactly how many =
airplanes=20
have gone down because of a fire where people <BR>&gt; died?&nbsp; Would =
money=20
and time be better spent on really clean and secure <BR>&gt; engine=20
installations?<BR>&gt; <BR>&gt; Scott<BR>&gt; <BR>&gt; <BR>&gt; <BR>&gt; =
Fred=20
Marconi wrote:<BR>&gt; &gt; SOME TYPE OF TEMPERATURE MEASURING DEVICE =
WOULD BE=20
THE SIMPLEST WITH A<BR>&gt; &gt; WARNING SIGNAL WHEN THE TEMPERATURE =
GETS ABOVE=20
A CERTAIN LEVEL.&nbsp; at THAT<BR>&gt; &gt; POINT NO QUESTIONS ASKED =
CONSIDER=20
THE HIGH TEMPERATURE A SIGN OF FIRE AND<BR>&gt; &gt; LAND.<BR>&gt; &gt; =
<BR>&gt;=20
&gt; FRED<BR>&gt; &gt; <BR>&gt; &gt; ----- Original Message ----- =
<BR>&gt; &gt;=20
From: "Hiroo Umeno" &lt;</FONT></STRONG><A=20
href=3D"mailto:humeno@microsoft.com"><STRONG><FONT=20
size=3D4>humeno@microsoft.com</FONT></STRONG></A><STRONG><FONT =
size=3D4>&gt;<BR>&gt;=20
&gt; To: &lt;</FONT></STRONG><A =
href=3D"mailto:reflector@tvbf.org"><STRONG><FONT=20
size=3D4>reflector@tvbf.org</FONT></STRONG></A><STRONG><FONT =
size=3D4>&gt;<BR>&gt;=20
&gt; Sent: Thursday, July 17, 2003 2:45 PM<BR>&gt; &gt; Subject: RE:=20
REFLECTOR:Secondary fire detection<BR>&gt; &gt; <BR>&gt; &gt; <BR>&gt; =
&gt;=20
<BR>&gt; &gt;&gt;Pat,<BR>&gt; &gt;&gt;<BR>&gt; &gt;&gt;CCDs are quite =
vulnerable=20
to heat.&nbsp; You need to look at the data sheets<BR>&gt; &gt;&gt;for =
the=20
operating temperature range.&nbsp; The heat inside the engine<BR>&gt;=20
&gt;&gt;compartment is likely to far exceed the allowable heat rating of =

most<BR>&gt; &gt;&gt;low-cost CCDs.<BR>&gt; &gt;&gt;<BR>&gt; &gt;&gt;As =
for=20
switcher, I am currently designing a 4:1 video mux based on<BR>&gt;=20
&gt;&gt;LT1204 device and a PIC.&nbsp; I am intending to put this in the =
same=20
housing<BR>&gt; &gt;&gt;with the LCD so that there are four buttons that =

corresponds to each<BR>&gt; &gt;&gt;cams I can switch through.&nbsp; The =
cool=20
thing about using the PIC is that I<BR>&gt; &gt;&gt;can set it to "scan" =
every=20
so often as well.<BR>&gt; &gt;&gt;<BR>&gt; &gt;&gt;I am thinking of =
mounting=20
cams on the following locations.&nbsp; Co-pilot<BR>&gt; &gt;&gt;side =
bottom=20
winglet (180 degree pan), under nose looking forward-down,<BR>&gt;=20
&gt;&gt;overhead duct capturing panel.<BR>&gt; &gt;&gt;<BR>&gt; =
&gt;&gt;For=20
supplies of LCD panels, Earth Computing (</FONT></STRONG><A=20
href=3D"http://www.earthlcd.com"><STRONG><FONT=20
size=3D4>www.earthlcd.com</FONT></STRONG></A><STRONG><FONT size=3D4>)=20
usually<BR>&gt; &gt;&gt;has some good selection of them.&nbsp; You can =
also=20
scour some of the surplus<BR>&gt; &gt;&gt;electronics outlet and get a =
fairly=20
good deal if you are not particular<BR>&gt; &gt;&gt;about specific =
device you=20
are looking for.<BR>&gt; &gt;&gt;<BR>&gt; &gt;&gt;Hiroo<BR>&gt; =
&gt;&gt;<BR>&gt;=20
&gt;&gt;<BR>&gt; &gt;&gt;-----Original Message-----<BR>&gt; =
&gt;&gt;From:=20
</FONT></STRONG><A =
href=3D"mailto:reflector-admin@tvbf.org"><STRONG><FONT=20
size=3D4>reflector-admin@tvbf.org</FONT></STRONG></A><STRONG><FONT =
size=3D4>=20
[mailto:reflector-admin@tvbf.org] On<BR>&gt; &gt;&gt;Behalf Of Pat =
Shea<BR>&gt;=20
&gt;&gt;Sent: Thursday, July 17, 2003 11:23 AM<BR>&gt; &gt;&gt;To:=20
</FONT></STRONG><A href=3D"mailto:reflector@tvbf.org"><STRONG><FONT=20
size=3D4>reflector@tvbf.org</FONT></STRONG></A><BR><STRONG><FONT =
size=3D4>&gt;=20
&gt;&gt;Subject: RE: REFLECTOR:Secondary fire detection<BR>&gt; =
&gt;&gt;<BR>&gt;=20
&gt;&gt;Hiroo,<BR>&gt; &gt;&gt;<BR>&gt; &gt;&gt;I'm leaning towards =
keeping the=20
small CCD cams in the<BR>&gt; &gt;&gt;engine compartment primarily for =
fire=20
detection. It<BR>&gt; &gt;&gt;looks like it's going to take two to get =
full=20
coverage<BR>&gt; &gt;&gt;of the critical areas. There may also be some=20
benefit,<BR>&gt; &gt;&gt;at least during the tweaking stage, of being =
able=20
to<BR>&gt; &gt;&gt;see/record what's going on inside the cowl =
during<BR>&gt;=20
&gt;&gt;flight (tuft testing?). Two cams either means an A/B<BR>&gt;=20
&gt;&gt;switch, two monitors, or a split screen. I was able to<BR>&gt;=20
&gt;&gt;find a company that sells a color, waterproof,<BR>&gt; =
&gt;&gt;"helmet"=20
cam w/ a cool aluminum protective mount:<BR>&gt; =
&gt;&gt;www.helmetcamera.com. I=20
haven't had a chance to look<BR>&gt; &gt;&gt;at LCD monitors yet (or the =
ability=20
to split the<BR>&gt; &gt;&gt;screen) - any leads on a good source for=20
these??<BR>&gt; &gt;&gt;<BR>&gt; &gt;&gt;Pat<BR>&gt; &gt;&gt;<BR>&gt;=20
&gt;&gt;--- Hiroo Umeno &lt;</FONT></STRONG><A=20
href=3D"mailto:humeno@microsoft.com"><STRONG><FONT=20
size=3D4>humeno@microsoft.com</FONT></STRONG></A><STRONG><FONT =
size=3D4>&gt;=20
wrote:<BR>&gt; &gt;&gt;<BR>&gt; &gt;&gt;&gt;One idea may be to install =
the=20
"wingtip cam".&nbsp; I<BR>&gt; &gt;&gt;&gt;have been researching<BR>&gt; =

&gt;&gt;&gt;this but one could install a small CCD camera on the<BR>&gt; =

&gt;&gt;&gt;wingtip (perhaps on<BR>&gt; &gt;&gt;&gt;the lower winglet) =
that can=20
be panned.&nbsp; Not only it<BR>&gt; &gt;&gt;&gt;would offer a way =
to<BR>&gt;=20
&gt;&gt;&gt;"see" if your cowl is blowing smoke / fire but it<BR>&gt;=20
&gt;&gt;&gt;will also serve as<BR>&gt; &gt;&gt;&gt;"rear-view mirror" =
when=20
starting engine, and offer a<BR>&gt; &gt;&gt;&gt;feed for your<BR>&gt;=20
&gt;&gt;&gt;in-flight footage.<BR>&gt; &gt;&gt;&gt;<BR>&gt; =
&gt;&gt;&gt;<BR>&gt;=20
&gt;&gt;&gt;<BR>&gt; &gt;&gt;&gt;The cameras can be had for less than =
$100=20
these<BR>&gt; &gt;&gt;&gt;days, and a small LCD<BR>&gt; =
&gt;&gt;&gt;monitors can=20
be had for about the same.<BR>&gt; &gt;&gt;&gt;<BR>&gt; =
&gt;&gt;&gt;<BR>&gt;=20
&gt;&gt;&gt;<BR>&gt; &gt;&gt;&gt;Hiroo<BR>&gt; &gt;&gt;<BR>&gt; =
&gt;&gt;<BR>&gt;=20
&gt;&gt;<BR>&gt; &gt;&gt;__________________________________<BR>&gt; =
&gt;&gt;Do=20
you Yahoo!?<BR>&gt; &gt;&gt;SBC Yahoo! DSL - Now only $29.95 per =
month!<BR>&gt;=20
&gt;&gt;http://sbc.yahoo.com<BR>&gt;=20
&gt;&gt;_______________________________________________<BR>&gt; =
&gt;&gt;To=20
change your email address, visit<BR>&gt;=20
&gt;&gt;http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector<BR>&gt; =
&gt;&gt;<BR>&gt;=20
&gt;&gt;Visit the gallery!&nbsp; tvbf:jamaicangoose<BR>&gt; =
&gt;&gt;<BR>&gt;=20
&gt;&gt;_______________________________________________<BR>&gt; =
&gt;&gt;To=20
change your email address, visit<BR>&gt; &gt; <BR>&gt; &gt; =
</FONT></STRONG><A=20
href=3D"http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector"><STRONG><FONT=20
size=3D4>http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector</FONT></STRONG></=
A><BR><STRONG><FONT=20
size=3D4>&gt; &gt; <BR>&gt; &gt;&gt;Visit the gallery!&nbsp;=20
tvbf:jamaicangoose<BR>&gt; &gt;&gt;<BR>&gt; &gt; <BR>&gt; &gt; <BR>&gt; =
&gt;=20
_______________________________________________<BR>&gt; &gt; To change =
your=20
email address, visit </FONT></STRONG><A=20
href=3D"http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector"><STRONG><FONT=20
size=3D4>http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector</FONT></STRONG></=
A><BR><STRONG><FONT=20
size=3D4>&gt; &gt; <BR>&gt; &gt; Visit the gallery!&nbsp;=20
tvbf:jamaicangoose<BR>&gt; &gt; <BR>&gt; <BR>&gt; <BR>&gt;=20
_______________________________________________<BR>&gt; To change your =
email=20
address, visit </FONT></STRONG><A=20
href=3D"http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector"><STRONG><FONT=20
size=3D4>http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector</FONT></STRONG></=
A><BR><STRONG><FONT=20
size=3D4>&gt; <BR>&gt; Visit the gallery!&nbsp;=20
tvbf:jamaicangoose</FONT></STRONG></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_0012_01C34CB8.92832EB0--