REFLECTOR: fire warning (was explosion)

Scott Derrick reflector@tvbf.org
Thu, 17 Jul 2003 16:43:10 -0600


I can't imagine flying without a fuel shut off.

But as a good freind of mine says tooeechissownnn.

Scott

Jim Agnew wrote:
> Yes it is unusual, and there have been lengthly discussions
> about them.
> 
> Jim
> 
> --- Scott Derrick <scott@tnstaafl.net> wrote:
> 
>>I thought all Velocity's had a fuel cutoff at the sump
>>tank, 
>>controllable from the pilot seat?  Is mine unusual?
>>
>>Scott
>>
>>Jim Agnew wrote:
>>
>>>Well Ronnie, I don't think that I'm crazy and long ago
>>
>>I
>>
>>>installed a "POSSIBLE FIRE DETECTION system" in my aft
>>>cowling.  
>>>
>>>Is the Velocity a time bomb, no, however it does have
>>
>>what
>>
>>>in my opinion is a serious defect in the lack of a fuel
>>>cutoff.  If you do get a fire you have two choices,
>>
>>keep
>>
>>>the engine running and if it is a gas fire keep pumping
>>
>>gas
>>
>>>into the fire or shut your engine down and try to get
>>
>>on
>>
>>>the ground as soon as possible.  One problem, the prop
>>
>>will
>>
>>>probably windmill and keep pumping gas into the fire.
>>>
>>>Now you know why I have a fuel cutoff valve in the
>>
>>plane on
>>
>>>the inside of the engine bulkhead.
>>>
>>>It is an individual choice and you have either not
>>
>>thought
>>
>>>about the problem or have dismissed it. Others see that
>>>there is a potential problem and are looking for
>>
>>solutions
>>
>>>and that is exactly what the reflector is for.
>>>
>>>Jim
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>--- Tom Martino <tmartino@troubleshooter.com> wrote:
>>>
>>>
>>>>Thank God the general public doesn't ready these
>>>>postings!  A window in
>>>>the firewall to see a fire?  Are we going mad?
>>>>
>>>>It sounds as if Velocities are flying time bombs just
>>>>waiting to burst
>>>>into flames.  Come on ... lets get real.
>>>>
>>>>We should put all of our efforts into preventing fires
>>>
>>to
>>
>>>>begin with,
>>>>then we should explore realistic detection equipment
>>>
>>that
>>
>>>>won't require
>>>>peaking through a freekin window behind the back seat.
>>>>
>>>>I can jus imagine how that window will go over with my
>>>>passengers:
>>>>
>>>>"Tom, isn't that nice a rear window!"
>>>>
>>>>Oh that, I put it there to spot flames in the engine
>>>>compartment.
>>>>
>>>>After fire detection, perhaps a fire suppression system
>>>>would be in
>>>>order.
>>>>
>>>>Are Velocities that prone to fire?  Are we
>>>
>>exaggerating? 
>>
>>>>
>>>>Back on the topic of a window ... ever see your oven
>>>>glass when smoke
>>>>and fire actually erupt in the oven.  It goes black
>>>
>>from
>>
>>>>soot.
>>>>
>>>>I have to believe that there are other modifications we
>>>>can do besides a
>>>>fire window.
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>=====
>>>James F. Agnew
>>>Jim_Agnew_2@Yahoo.Com
>>>Tampa, FL
>>>Velocity 173 Elite Aircraft Completed
>>>_______________________________________________
>>>To change your email address, visit
>>
>>http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>>
>>>Visit the gallery!  tvbf:jamaicangoose
>>>
>>
>>
>>_______________________________________________
>>To change your email address, visit
>>http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>>
>>Visit the gallery!  tvbf:jamaicangoose
> 
> 
> 
> =====
> James F. Agnew
> Jim_Agnew_2@Yahoo.Com
> Tampa, FL
> Velocity 173 Elite Aircraft Completed
> _______________________________________________
> To change your email address, visit http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
> 
> Visit the gallery!  tvbf:jamaicangoose
>