REFLECTOR:CONFUSION

Dave Black reflector@tvbf.org
Wed, 16 Jul 2003 05:30:50 -0400


> Tom,

>  I just spoke to
> Alan Shaw and he swears that a constant speed prop is NOT
> necessary.  He says the added weight is not worth it and it
> will actually cut down your cruise speeds a bit.  He said
> climb performance won’t be a problem with that engine ... and
> the Velocity will be better off without the extra weight back
> there.

I'll second what Steve Korney said about Alan. He knows the Velocity better
than the back of his hand. You can believe what he says.

In my opinion, the only real advantage of a constant speed prop is shorter
takeoff roll. You'll shorten that by half! That could be a lifesaver, and if
so, is well worth the price. Constant speed does give you better power and
drag control, so you may be able to make more accurate landings, for instance. 

BUT the tradeoff is 5x cost, loss of a couple knots at cruise, rearward CG,
and maintenance. If money is no issue, absolutely go for it.

> I am getting to a point where I need to make some decisions.

If you're still on the fence after reading all the opinions on this subject,
I'd suggest you take the cheaper route and go with the Performance or Catto
prop. By the time you've flown six months or so, you'll KNOW if you want to
upgrade. Then it would still be nice to have the Fixed prop as a spare against
the eventuality of the Constant Speed being down for maintenance for a while. 

And finally, as an A&P friend said to me, which prop would you rather damage
or destroy during your flight testing?

Dave Black
Shortwing RG