REFLECTOR:Velocity Views comments and an on-line example

Phil Hooper reflector@tvbf.org
Tue, 15 Jul 2003 15:21:13 -0700


Jim good thoughts, but may I weigh in?  Gosh, I hate to, since we are
beating a dead horse.  One more blow:

Just because one has computer access doesn't mean it is the most effective
means of getting information from a screen or print-out into my pea brain.
I find VV most valuable when I can insert myself on the couch at the end of
a hard day, pickup up a cup of tea and spend time perusing the pages,
absorbing and marking pages.  I then place them in notebook for reference.
I know I can print things out and that may work for many people to leave it
there, but there is something that draws me when it is formatted nicely on
good paper, 11 x 17, that I can hold in my hands.  I always enjoy seeing the
next issue in my mailbox.

If I need timely, "latest and greatest data," such as the most recent
version of the manuals in pdf format, then yes, that is CLEARLY the way to
go.  No dispute there.

The point is that not all like the hard copy and not all get that much from
a computer screen or print-out.  When's the last time you read a novel on
line.  I for one am a hacker from way back, I live and breath
microprocessors and Windows XP.  My wife says I live in front of the
terminal.  So I understand the electronic perspective.  

But, I also get much out of a printed, friendly page.

Duane, don't change it.  Just make it available on line.

BTW, my biz involves printing and mailing millions of pieces of mail per
year (yes, I have a certain amount of bias) but I can testify that putting
together, editing, proofing, printing and mailing a newsletter is a huge-I
mean-huge amount of work.  Placing it on-line doesn't necessarily make it
easier.  I join others on this fine builder list who have expressed
appreciation to Rick for his hard work and faithfulness on VV. Thank you.

-----Original Message-----
From: reflector-admin@tvbf.org [mailto:reflector-admin@tvbf.org] On Behalf
Of Jim Agnew
Sent: Tuesday, July 15, 2003 2:49 PM
To: Duane Swing; Velocity Reflector
Subject: REFLECTOR:Velocity Views comments and an on-line example

Duane, 

I have looked at your comments on Velocity Views and find
that there is little to support a hard copy of VV.  

First is you feeling about those without computers;
numerous surveys show that 96-98% of pilots have Internet
access.  For those that don't they can go to almost any
library and get free access.  If the Internet user wants a
hard copy they can selectively print the information.

As far as the factory time to produce the information, I'm
sure that you at least have to write the articles so you
already have it in computer form so their is little more
effort to prepare it for on line use.

Following is an example of a newsletter produced at least
once a month by a very busy secretary and many times it is
much longer with many high resolution pictures.  It does
not take that much time to produce an ADOBE document and
the reader is available free to any Internet user who
probably has it anyway.  Note that it is in color and high
quality graphics and pictures are possible.  Obviously,
there are no printing and mailing costs.

http://www.sun-n-fun.org/content/writestuff/ws061203.pdf

Instead of waiting for 3 months to get tips and KPC's they
can be available every 30 days or immediately if required.

Their are no downsides and costs to produce are far less.

You really have little justification for not doing it
on-line for the convenience of your kit owners and for the
ability to disseminate critical information in seconds not
months.

Jim






=====
James F. Agnew
Jim_Agnew_2@Yahoo.Com
Tampa, FL
Velocity 173 Elite Aircraft Completed
_______________________________________________
To change your email address, visit
http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector

Visit the gallery!  tvbf:jamaicangoose