REFLECTOR:Speaking of moving...

Ronnie Brown reflector@tvbf.org
Tue, 15 Jul 2003 14:07:53 -0400


This is a multi-part message in MIME format.

------=_NextPart_000_0098_01C34ADA.7BD52CC0
Content-Type: text/plain;
	charset="iso-8859-1"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

I suggest the lesser traveled roads.  I used a flat bed trailer similar =
to what you are talking about. =20

My first trip was to carry the fuselage, nose first with the canard =
under the fuselage.  Then the 2nd trip we carried the wings.

Here in NC, I had to get a $12 permit from the state DOT for the wider =
than 8'-6" load.  It was good for 10 days in case of rain, etc. I had to =
have a "Wide Load" banner on the front of my pickup and rear of the =
trailer and red flags on the ends of the strake. =20

See http://home.sprintmail.com/~rolandbrown/page60.html

I had an escort vehicle in front by 100' or so with flashers going to =
get folks awake before meeting the wider load behind.  All went well.

Ronnie


  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Hiroo Umeno=20
  To: reflector@tvbf.org=20
  Sent: Tuesday, July 15, 2003 1:46 PM
  Subject: REFLECTOR:Speaking of moving...


  My project is getting close to moving from a garage to the airport.



  My thinking is roll the fuselage onto a flatbed people use to =
transport race cars, tie it down good and drive it down to the airport.  =
The airport is about 20 miles away.



  I could take the freeway most of the way, or I can go entirely on the =
surface road.  Both has pros and cons.



  Interstate:

    a.. Smoother rides=20
    b.. Constant speeds=20
    c.. Shorter transit times=20
    d.. More speed =3D=3D dynamic aerodynamic force=20
    e.. Encounters with heavies (18 wheelers, etc)=20
    f.. State patrolled.=20


  Surface Roads:

    a.. Bumpier and irregular rides=20
    b.. Many starts and stops=20
    c.. Less large vehicles=20
    d.. Municipally patrolled=20
    e.. Less dynamic stress=20
    f.. Longer transit times=20


  Are there opinions on what works better for doing this?  Obviously, I =
will be doing this in the wee hours of the morning when traffic is less =
of a factor.  With the Strake about 11ft wide, I am guessing I would =
need a wide load permit.  Would that be the cities that are involved =
(3-4 of them)?  Or the state DoT?



  Would it be better to load it tail forward? (Will not try to take =
off?) or nose first (Less chance for the center section spar to snag =
something?)  Canard off or not?



  Any tips or tricks?



  Hiroo






------=_NextPart_000_0098_01C34ADA.7BD52CC0
Content-Type: text/html;
	charset="iso-8859-1"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN">
<HTML><HEAD>
<META http-equiv=3DContent-Type content=3D"text/html; =
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
<META content=3D"MSHTML 5.50.4134.600" name=3DGENERATOR>
<STYLE>@font-face {
	font-family: Wingdings;
}
@font-face {
	font-family: MS Mincho;
}
@font-face {
	font-family: \@MS Mincho;
}
@page Section1 {size: 8.5in 11.0in; margin: 1.0in 1.25in 1.0in 1.25in; }
P.MsoNormal {
	FONT-SIZE: 12pt; MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt; FONT-FAMILY: "Times New Roman"
}
LI.MsoNormal {
	FONT-SIZE: 12pt; MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt; FONT-FAMILY: "Times New Roman"
}
DIV.MsoNormal {
	FONT-SIZE: 12pt; MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt; FONT-FAMILY: "Times New Roman"
}
A:link {
	COLOR: blue; TEXT-DECORATION: underline
}
SPAN.MsoHyperlink {
	COLOR: blue; TEXT-DECORATION: underline
}
A:visited {
	COLOR: purple; TEXT-DECORATION: underline
}
SPAN.MsoHyperlinkFollowed {
	COLOR: purple; TEXT-DECORATION: underline
}
SPAN.EmailStyle17 {
	COLOR: windowtext; FONT-FAMILY: Arial
}
DIV.Section1 {
	page: Section1
}
OL {
	MARGIN-BOTTOM: 0in
}
UL {
	MARGIN-BOTTOM: 0in
}
</STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY lang=3DEN-US vLink=3Dpurple link=3Dblue bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>I suggest the lesser traveled roads.&nbsp; I used a =
flat bed=20
trailer similar to what you are talking about.&nbsp; </FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>My first trip was to carry the fuselage, nose first =
with the=20
canard under the fuselage.&nbsp; Then the 2nd trip we carried the=20
wings.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>Here in NC, I had to get a $12 permit from the state =
DOT for=20
the wider than 8'-6" load.&nbsp; It was good for 10 days in case of =
rain, etc. I=20
had to have a "Wide Load" banner on the front of my pickup and rear of =
the=20
trailer and red flags on the ends of the strake.&nbsp; </FONT><FONT=20
size=3D2></FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>See <A=20
href=3D"http://home.sprintmail.com/~rolandbrown/page60.html">http://home.=
sprintmail.com/~rolandbrown/page60.html</A></FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>I had an escort vehicle in front by 100' or so with =
flashers=20
going to get folks awake before meeting the wider load behind.&nbsp; All =
went=20
well.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>Ronnie</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<BLOCKQUOTE dir=3Dltr=20
style=3D"PADDING-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; =
BORDER-LEFT: #000000 2px solid; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px">
  <DIV style=3D"FONT: 10pt arial">----- Original Message ----- </DIV>
  <DIV=20
  style=3D"BACKGROUND: #e4e4e4; FONT: 10pt arial; font-color: =
black"><B>From:</B>=20
  <A title=3Dhumeno@microsoft.com =
href=3D"mailto:humeno@microsoft.com">Hiroo=20
  Umeno</A> </DIV>
  <DIV style=3D"FONT: 10pt arial"><B>To:</B> <A =
title=3Dreflector@tvbf.org=20
  href=3D"mailto:reflector@tvbf.org">reflector@tvbf.org</A> </DIV>
  <DIV style=3D"FONT: 10pt arial"><B>Sent:</B> Tuesday, July 15, 2003 =
1:46=20
PM</DIV>
  <DIV style=3D"FONT: 10pt arial"><B>Subject:</B> REFLECTOR:Speaking of=20
  moving...</DIV>
  <DIV><BR></DIV>
  <DIV class=3DSection1>
  <P class=3DMsoNormal><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2><SPAN=20
  style=3D"FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Arial">My project is getting =
close to=20
  moving from a garage to the airport.</SPAN></FONT></P>
  <P class=3DMsoNormal><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2><SPAN=20
  style=3D"FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Arial"></SPAN></FONT>&nbsp;</P>
  <P class=3DMsoNormal><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2><SPAN=20
  style=3D"FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Arial">My thinking is roll the =
fuselage=20
  onto a flatbed people use to transport race cars, tie it down good and =
drive=20
  it down to the airport. &nbsp;The airport is about 20 miles=20
  away.</SPAN></FONT></P>
  <P class=3DMsoNormal><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2><SPAN=20
  style=3D"FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Arial"></SPAN></FONT>&nbsp;</P>
  <P class=3DMsoNormal><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2><SPAN=20
  style=3D"FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Arial">I could take the freeway =
most of=20
  the way, or I can go entirely on the surface road. &nbsp;Both has pros =
and=20
  cons.</SPAN></FONT></P>
  <P class=3DMsoNormal><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2><SPAN=20
  style=3D"FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Arial"></SPAN></FONT>&nbsp;</P>
  <P class=3DMsoNormal><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2><SPAN=20
  style=3D"FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: =
Arial">Interstate:</SPAN></FONT></P>
  <UL type=3Ddisc>
    <LI class=3DMsoNormal><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2><SPAN=20
    style=3D"FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Arial">Smoother =
rides</SPAN></FONT>=20
    <LI class=3DMsoNormal><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2><SPAN=20
    style=3D"FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Arial">Constant =
speeds</SPAN></FONT>=20
    <LI class=3DMsoNormal><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2><SPAN=20
    style=3D"FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Arial">Shorter transit=20
    times</SPAN></FONT>=20
    <LI class=3DMsoNormal><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2><SPAN=20
    style=3D"FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Arial">More speed =3D=3D =
dynamic=20
    aerodynamic force</SPAN></FONT>=20
    <LI class=3DMsoNormal><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2><SPAN=20
    style=3D"FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Arial">Encounters with =
heavies (18=20
    wheelers, etc)</SPAN></FONT>=20
    <LI class=3DMsoNormal><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2><SPAN=20
    style=3D"FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Arial">State =
patrolled.</SPAN></FONT>=20
    </LI></UL>
  <P class=3DMsoNormal style=3D"MARGIN-LEFT: 0.25in"><FONT face=3DArial =
size=3D2><SPAN=20
  style=3D"FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Arial"></SPAN></FONT>&nbsp;</P>
  <P class=3DMsoNormal><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2><SPAN=20
  style=3D"FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Arial">Surface =
Roads:</SPAN></FONT></P>
  <UL type=3Ddisc>
    <LI class=3DMsoNormal><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2><SPAN=20
    style=3D"FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Arial">Bumpier and irregular=20
    rides</SPAN></FONT>=20
    <LI class=3DMsoNormal><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2><SPAN=20
    style=3D"FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Arial">Many starts and=20
    stops</SPAN></FONT>=20
    <LI class=3DMsoNormal><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2><SPAN=20
    style=3D"FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Arial">Less large=20
    vehicles</SPAN></FONT>=20
    <LI class=3DMsoNormal><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2><SPAN=20
    style=3D"FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Arial">Municipally=20
    patrolled</SPAN></FONT>=20
    <LI class=3DMsoNormal><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2><SPAN=20
    style=3D"FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Arial">Less dynamic=20
    stress</SPAN></FONT>=20
    <LI class=3DMsoNormal><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2><SPAN=20
    style=3D"FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Arial">Longer transit=20
    times</SPAN></FONT> </LI></UL>
  <P class=3DMsoNormal><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2><SPAN=20
  style=3D"FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Arial"></SPAN></FONT>&nbsp;</P>
  <P class=3DMsoNormal><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2><SPAN=20
  style=3D"FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Arial">Are there opinions on =
what works=20
  better for doing this? &nbsp;Obviously, I will be doing this in the =
wee hours=20
  of the morning when traffic is less of a factor.&nbsp; With the Strake =
about=20
  11ft wide, I am guessing I would need a wide load permit.&nbsp; Would =
that be=20
  the cities that are involved (3-4 of them)?&nbsp; Or the state=20
  DoT?</SPAN></FONT></P>
  <P class=3DMsoNormal><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2><SPAN=20
  style=3D"FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Arial"></SPAN></FONT>&nbsp;</P>
  <P class=3DMsoNormal><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2><SPAN=20
  style=3D"FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Arial">Would it be better to =
load it tail=20
  forward? (Will not try to take off?) or nose first (Less chance for =
the center=20
  section spar to snag something?) &nbsp;Canard off or =
not?</SPAN></FONT></P>
  <P class=3DMsoNormal><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2><SPAN=20
  style=3D"FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Arial"></SPAN></FONT>&nbsp;</P>
  <P class=3DMsoNormal><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2><SPAN=20
  style=3D"FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Arial">Any tips or=20
  tricks?</SPAN></FONT></P>
  <P class=3DMsoNormal><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2><SPAN=20
  style=3D"FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Arial"></SPAN></FONT>&nbsp;</P>
  <P class=3DMsoNormal><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2><SPAN=20
  style=3D"FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Arial">Hiroo</SPAN></FONT></P>
  <P class=3DMsoNormal><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2><SPAN=20
  style=3D"FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Arial"></SPAN></FONT>&nbsp;</P>
  <P class=3DMsoNormal><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2><SPAN=20
  style=3D"FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: =
Arial"></SPAN></FONT>&nbsp;</P></DIV></BLOCKQUOTE></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_0098_01C34ADA.7BD52CC0--