REFLECTOR:Moving the non-flying Velocity
Tony Babb
reflector@tvbf.org
Tue, 15 Jul 2003 10:54:55 -0700
When Velocity ships fuselages with the strakes completed that's what they
do, the fuselage is in a steep bank to one side but horizontal. Then they
add packing and straps to hold it in place. Good luck.
Tony
----- Original Message -----
From: "Mark Means" <rgvelocity@lmf.net>
To: <reflector@tvbf.org>
Sent: Tuesday, July 15, 2003 4:56 AM
Subject: Re: REFLECTOR:Moving the non-flying Velocity
> When I moved mine I made a "right triangle" out of glued and bolted
> 2"X12"'s, with the hypotenuse going from one set of outboard wing bolts to
> the other. This was done to cant the fuselage at about a 60 degree angle
in
> a compromise between height and width for trailering. I also nailed/glued
> plywood gussets in the corner of the right angle.
>
> The "downhill" end of the long 2x12 has to extend beyond the strake some
> distance to so the leading edge of the strake does not hit the trailer.
This
> distance can be figured out easily with a string and tape measure. I did
not
> build any nose support but had an old futon (?) that I just laid it on and
> strapped it down good. You will find that the holes in the long 2x12
> accepting the wing attach bolts need to be oversize as they are not
parellel
> due to wing sweep. We strapped this thing down as described and it was
legal
> and made it unscathed much to everyone's surprise. If done with care this
> could work for you I suppose. We only had to go 10 miles not 3500.
>
> I called the police about wire/overpass clearance and I am not exactly
sure
> but it seems like it was around 14' 10" (don't quote me on this). In your
> previous post is doesn't seem like you were factoring in the height of the
> trailer itself which will be 1 to 2 feet.
>
> Another option is Dan Fast who moves these things as a business in an
> enclosed trailer (772-473-6090). You might want to call him and avoid at
> least some of the hassle.
>
> Mark Means
>
>
> ----- Original Message -----
> From: "Jeffrey Clough" <jclough@alaska.net>
> To: <reflector@tvbf.org>
> Sent: Tuesday, July 15, 2003 3:20 AM
> Subject: Re: REFLECTOR:Moving the non-flying Velocity
>
>
> > Hmmm all very good suggestions ...things to think about and figure out
> > quickly when I arrive there..sideways may be the easiest way to travel,
> but
> > most complicated to build cradle.... Any Velocitites in the Greeley CO
> area
> > any longer?
> >
> >
> > > The number I have in my sleep deprived head is 16 feet - if I'm wrong,
> > nose
> > > up might be good way to go. I would have never thought of it.
> > >
> > > If you go that way, take advantage of the spar hard points to secure
it
> > for
> > > and aft, the leverage on the firewall from starting and stopping would
> be
> > > wicked. And, obviously, diagonal ties from the nose to the sides of
the
> > > trailer.
> > >
> > > One thing to be careful of is lookie loos, that are so busy looking at
> the
> > > "rocket ship" on the trailer that they forget to drive. We always
used
> to
> > > move airplanes at night just to avoid the curious truck drivers.
> > >
> > > Congrats on getting back to building! Too bad Oshkosh isn't on the
way.
> > :)
> > >
> > >
> > > At 10:35 PM 7/14/03 -0800, you wrote:
> > > >Good thoughts I may have to do that ...thanx....but I think from the
> nose
> > > >to the firewall (without the cowling) is only about 13 feet(?) or
less
> > > >isn't it?... I do not know for sure...all the manuals etc are in the
> > > >hangar . I have only one or two days to get this thing loaded up
and
> > the
> > > >hangar emptied and to get on the road ...Ready to get this thing
flying
> > > >after 10 years!
> > > >
> > > >
> > > > >> >Ok...I give up....I will never complete my Velocity 173 RG as
long
> > as it
> > > > > >is in a hangar in Colorado and I live in Alaska...soooooo...I am
> > going
> > > > > >down to put it on trailer and truck it 3500 miles to my house
here
> in
> > > > > >AK.......wide load and all...I am wondering...if I gut it and
> remove
> > the
> > > > > >engine and mount if I can move it like a rocket on the launch pad
> in
> > an
> > > > > >upright position.....was thinking of building a 'box' out of 2x10
> > lumber
> > > > > >to 'mount' on the firewall engine mount holes and setting the
> > Velocity
> > > > > >fuselage upright on that and strapping the 'box' and gear down to
> the
> > > > > >trailer for the long haul..thus no wide load problems....
> > > > > > Does anyone have any idea if the firewall can take the
stresses
> of
> > > > this
> > > > > > road trip? I BELIEVE it can but do not know.... Moving it ...one
> way
> > or
> > > > > > the other, THANX Jeff Clough
> > > > >
> > > > > If you think making 3500 miles as a wide load is hard, imagine
3500
> > miles
> > > > > without being able to go through an underpass.
> > > > >
> > > > > Make your box, but bolt it to one side of the main spar. The wing
> > attach
> > > > > points are the second strongest points on the airplane. Make a
> cradle
> > for
> > > > > the nose (attach to the canard attach points) and put it on the
> > trailer
> > > > > sideways, nose forward but rolled 90 degrees to the side. That
way
> > you're
> > > > > only 14' tall, not 20'.
> > > > > Visit the gallery! tvbf:jamaicangoose
> > >> Visit the gallery! tvbf:jamaicangoose
> >
> > _______________________________________________
> > To change your email address, visit
> http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
> >
> > Visit the gallery! tvbf:jamaicangoose
> >
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> To change your email address, visit
http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>
> Visit the gallery! tvbf:jamaicangoose