REFLECTOR:Moving the non-flying Velocity

Jeffrey Clough reflector@tvbf.org
Mon, 14 Jul 2003 22:35:18 -0800


This is a multi-part message in MIME format.

------=_NextPart_000_0008_01C34A58.33B281E0
Content-Type: text/plain;
	charset="iso-8859-1"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

Good thoughts I may have to do that ...thanx....but I think from the =
nose to the firewall (without the cowling) is only about 13 feet(?) or =
less isn't it?... I do not know for sure...all the manuals etc are in =
the hangar .   I have only one or two days to get this thing loaded up =
and the hangar emptied and to get on the road ...Ready to get this thing =
flying after 10 years!   =20


>> >Ok...I give up....I will never complete my Velocity 173 RG as long =
as it=20
> >is in a hangar in Colorado and I live in Alaska...soooooo...I am =
going=20
> >down to put it on trailer and truck it 3500 miles to my house here in =

> >AK.......wide load and all...I am wondering...if I gut it and remove =
the=20
> >engine and mount if I can move it like a rocket on the launch pad in =
an=20
> >upright position.....was thinking of building a 'box' out of 2x10 =
lumber=20
> >to 'mount' on the firewall engine mount holes and setting the =
Velocity=20
> >fuselage upright on that and strapping the 'box' and gear down to the =

> >trailer for the long haul..thus no wide load problems....
> >   Does anyone have any idea if the firewall can take the stresses of =
this=20
> > road trip? I BELIEVE it can but do not know.... Moving it ...one way =
or=20
> > the other,   THANX    Jeff Clough
>=20
> If you think making 3500 miles as a wide load is hard, imagine 3500 =
miles=20
> without being able to go through an underpass.
>=20
> Make your box, but bolt it to one side of the main spar.  The wing =
attach=20
> points are the second strongest points on the airplane.  Make a cradle =
for=20
> the nose (attach to the canard attach points) and put it on the =
trailer=20
> sideways, nose forward but rolled 90 degrees to the side.  That way =
you're=20
> only 14' tall, not 20'.  =20
> Visit the gallery!  tvbf:jamaicangoose
------=_NextPart_000_0008_01C34A58.33B281E0
Content-Type: text/html;
	charset="iso-8859-1"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN">
<HTML><HEAD>
<META http-equiv=3DContent-Type content=3D"text/html; =
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
<META content=3D"MSHTML 6.00.2800.1141" name=3DGENERATOR>
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY style=3D"COLOR: #000000; FONT-FAMILY: Arial">
<DIV><STRONG><FONT size=3D4><U>Good thoughts</U> I may have to do=20
that&nbsp;...thanx....but I think from the nose to the firewall (without =
the=20
cowling) is only about 13 feet(?) or less isn't it?...&nbsp;I do not =
know for=20
sure...all the manuals etc are in the hangar .&nbsp;&nbsp; I have only=20
one&nbsp;or two days to get this thing loaded up and the hangar emptied =
and to=20
get on the road ...Ready to get this thing flying after 10=20
years!&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; </FONT></STRONG></DIV>
<DIV><STRONG><FONT size=3D4></FONT></STRONG>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><STRONG><FONT size=3D3></FONT></STRONG>&nbsp;</DIV><STRONG><FONT=20
size=3D4>&gt;&gt; &gt;Ok...I give up....I will never complete my =
Velocity 173 RG=20
as long as it <BR>&gt; &gt;is in a hangar in Colorado and I live in=20
Alaska...soooooo...I am going <BR>&gt; &gt;down to put it on trailer and =
truck=20
it 3500 miles to my house here in <BR>&gt; &gt;AK.......wide load and =
all...I am=20
wondering...if I gut it and remove the <BR>&gt; &gt;engine and mount if =
I can=20
move it like a rocket on the launch pad in an <BR>&gt; &gt;upright=20
position.....was thinking of building a 'box' out of 2x10 lumber =
<BR>&gt; &gt;to=20
'mount' on the firewall engine mount holes and setting the Velocity =
<BR>&gt;=20
&gt;fuselage upright on that and strapping the 'box' and gear down to =
the=20
<BR>&gt; &gt;trailer for the long haul..thus no wide load =
problems....<BR>&gt;=20
&gt;&nbsp;&nbsp; Does anyone have any idea if the firewall can take the =
stresses=20
of this <BR>&gt; &gt; road trip? I BELIEVE it can but do not know.... =
Moving it=20
...one way or <BR>&gt; &gt; the other,&nbsp;&nbsp; =
THANX&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Jeff=20
Clough<BR>&gt; <BR>&gt; If you think making 3500 miles as a wide load is =
hard,=20
imagine 3500 miles <BR>&gt; without being able to go through an=20
underpass.<BR>&gt; <BR>&gt; Make your box, but bolt it to one side of =
the main=20
spar.&nbsp; The wing attach <BR>&gt; points are the second strongest =
points on=20
the airplane.&nbsp; Make a cradle for <BR>&gt; the nose (attach to the =
canard=20
attach points) and put it on the trailer <BR>&gt; sideways, nose forward =
but=20
rolled 90 degrees to the side.&nbsp; That way you're <BR>&gt; only 14' =
tall, not=20
20'.&nbsp;&nbsp; <BR></FONT></STRONG><STRONG><FONT size=3D4>&gt; Visit =
the=20
gallery!&nbsp; tvbf:jamaicangoose</FONT></STRONG></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_0008_01C34A58.33B281E0--