REFLECTOR: Exhaust systems

Tom Martino reflector@tvbf.org
Fri, 11 Jul 2003 10:36:57 -0600


My custom cowling was expensive and I would have to do way more than just a new exhaust.  The cowling would basically have to be custom made because I am using a non-standard engine for this airframe (IO-540 on a 173RG)

-----Original Message-----
From: Scott Derrick [mailto:scott@tnstaafl.net]
Sent: Friday, July 11, 2003 9:33 AM
To: reflector@tvbf.org
Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: Exhaust systems


You can always use the forward facing exhaust system sold by the factory.

or:

Custom Arcraft Parts sells a cool 3-into-1 downward facing exhaust for 
6cyl velocity.

Both are burn proof for a big 6 with a 3 bladed prop on a pusher.

Scott

Tom Martino wrote:
> So, can the three bladed prop be mounted on an IO-540 to avoid burning?
> (Sorry if I seem dense)  If so, how?
> 
>  
> 
> -----Original Message-----
> From: Simon Aegerter [mailto:simon@aegerter.net] 
> Sent: Friday, July 11, 2003 8:17 AM
> To: reflector@tvbf.org
> Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: Exhaust systems
> 
> 
>>After all, 3 does divide evenly into 6.
> 
> 
> You are absolutely right, Dale.
> 
> A 6-cylinder engine fires 6 times during 2 full turns, that is 720 
> degrees. 720/6 = 120. That means, the blasts are seperated by 120 
> deg. That happens to be the spacing of the blades of a 3-blade prop. 
> So. with a 6 cyl. engine and a three bladed prop you can have the 
> blast in one of two places: onto the blades or between them, 
> depending on how you mount the prop. Presto!
> 
> I have not flown a whole lot of hours since I turned my exhausts 
> (3-in-1) backwards but I see no charring, just some soot.
> 
> Somebody asked about a 4-bladed prop. Same argument, different 
> result: a 4-cyl fires 4 times in two turns - so 180 deg apart. unless 
> you have 8 ways to mount your prop, you are making sure that at least 
> two blades are hit every two turns.
> 
> Best
> Simon


_______________________________________________
To change your email address, visit http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector

Visit the gallery!  tvbf:jamaicangoose