REFLECTOR: Exhaust systems

Ronnie Brown reflector@tvbf.org
Thu, 10 Jul 2003 15:57:33 -0400


Steve Korney is correct, the RMI reads out in deg Centigrade.

My GRT EIS reads out in Degrees F.  I normally see about 1200 deg on take
off, leaned out it runs 1350-1400 degrees F.  The exhaust temp at the end of
the stack would be lower, but apparently for some, it is still hot enough to
char a wooden prop if the pipes are close enough.

I'll ask the Cozy IV builder what he did about the problem.  He had chopped
some of the 2 into 1 pipes off but I haven't seen him lately.

Ronnie

----- Original Message -----
From: "John Dibble" <aminetech@dixie-net.com>
To: <reflector@tvbf.org>
Sent: Thursday, July 10, 2003 2:19 PM
Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: Exhaust systems


| Ronnie,
|
| What fuel (octane) do you use?
| What is the compression ratio for your engine?
| What is the minimum recommended octane for your engine?
|
| I feel like I must be from another planet.  The highest EGT temperature I
have seen
| (during takeoff, max power, Franklin engine) is 970 degrees.  Maybe my RMI
monitor is
| off, but my other temps seem right.  My IVO prop is 9.5 inches from the 3
into 1
| exhaust that exits striaght back.  No indication of overheating, just the
light "dust"
| that wipes off.
|
| John
|
| Ronnie Brown wrote:
|
| > Not only true with the M/T but also any three bladed prop.  No way to
clock
| > it such that it misses the exhaust, even for 4 cylinder IO 360's.  No
| > pictures but I saw with my two beady little eyes a Velocity and a Cozy,
both
| > with 360's, both with Performance props, both had charred spots on one
blade
| > of the prop, looked like a wooden match that had burned, then
extinguished.
| > Not pretty.  The Velocity prop was returned to Clark, he pronounced it
dead
| > and unusable.  A two blade can be turned such that it misses, but as
someone
| > mentioned, there are only two positions that a three blade can be
installed,
| > both incur the wrath of the 1400 degree exhaust.
| >
| > I have a three blade Catto and forward exit exhausts.  No soot on the
prop
| > but some on the cowl.
| >
| > Ronnie Brown
| > 173 Elite RG 55 hours
|
|
| _______________________________________________
| To change your email address, visit
http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
|
| Visit the gallery!  tvbf:jamaicangoose