REFLECTOR: Exhaust systems
reflector@tvbf.org
reflector@tvbf.org
Tue, 08 Jul 2003 22:08:11 -0700
Got it. Yes, turning the ends aft toward the prop would give you a couple
of knots.
At 10:03 PM 7/8/03 -0700, KeithHallsten wrote:
>Richard,
>
>No, the Berkut exhaust shown on the Custom Aircraft website exits the cowl
>right next to the ring gear, aimed right at the root of the prop blades.
>The system I'm talking about exits directly below the #3 & #4 cylinders.
>The photos on their website
>http://www.customaircraft.com/images/VELOCITYP.JPG shows this clearly.
>After hearing others discuss their experience with burning the finish off
>their prop blades, I wouldn't want to go with the Berkut style.
>
>The modification I'm conteplating looks like the attached drawing.
>
>I am going with the LASER electronically-controlled magnetos. These do
>adjust the ignition timing with altitude & power setting, so they do help
>keep the EGTs down, like Electronic Ignition. However, even a total
>electrical failure would just make them revert to being standard
>fixed-timing Slick mags, which would be more than adequate to "limp" home.
>
>Keith Hallsten
>
>
>----- Original Message -----
>From: <richard@riley.net>
>To: <reflector@tvbf.org>
>Sent: Tuesday, July 08, 2003 8:37 PM
>Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: Exhaust systems
>
>
> > Take a look at the ones he does for the parallel valve 540 Berkut, it
> > sounds like they are very similar.
> >
> > I'm very happy with mine, but you MUST use an electronic ignition or
>you'll
> > cook the prop.
> >
> > At 08:10 PM 7/8/03 -0700, you wrote:
> > >Pat,
> > >I'm in serious discussion with Clinton Anderson at Custom Aircraft Parts
> > >about a couple of "Y" manifolds for my XL with a parallel-valve IO-540.
> > >Very similar to yours, except I'm thinking of having the 2.5" tailpipes
>bent
> > >45 degrees towards the prop. I assume that you're still happy with
>yours?
> > >Keith Hallsten
> >
> > _______________________________________________
> > To change your email address, visit
>http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
> >
> > Visit the gallery! tvbf:jamaicangoose