REFLECTOR:Re: [Canards] Airworthiness Checklist

Scott Derrick reflector@tvbf.org
Tue, 08 Jul 2003 12:46:52 -0600


Ronnie,

No chop job intended.

Just pointing out the weak links, that list is not cast in stone.

Scott


Ronnie Brown wrote:
> Come on, Scott, you're a bit testy today, eh?
> 
> Most instrument check rides aren't going to take place in an experimental
> (not to say that it can't be done), so Simon's list is probably more
> accurate than your chop job.
> 
> Ronnie
> 
> ----- Original Message -----
> From: "Scott Derrick" <scott@tnstaafl.net>
> To: <canards@tnstaafl.net>; <reflector@tvbf.org>
> Sent: Tuesday, July 08, 2003 2:00 PM
> Subject: REFLECTOR:Re: [Canards] Airworthiness Checklist
> 
> 
> | Of course #5, #12, #13 don't apply to experimentals.
> |
> | #9 & #10 are duplicates.
> |
> | #14 is interesting since it refers back to Part 43 which is not
> | applicable to experimentals....  One for the lawyers.
> |
> | #4  We don't have Annuals, or 100 hours inspections, so wrong FAR
> |
> | #11 I think you only need this if you fly in class A,B,C or above 12,000
> ft.
> |
> | You were right in your AR(R)OW list.  That's what you need on board.
> |
> | You don't need the rest of this stuff on the airplane.
> |
> | Scott
> |
> | S Ramirez wrote:
> | > I am getting ready to take the checkride for my instrument rating later
> | > in the week, but I've been talking to a DE about it.  He emphasized that
> | > he already knows that I am an instrument pilot.  When I asked him how he
> | > knew this, he said  "because the CFI-I that gave you the endorsement to
> | > take the checkride said you are."  He went on to say that I should show
> | > up for the checkride confident that I will pass because most likely I
> | > will.  His only task is to provide the FAA with a 2nd opinion.  He also
> | > said that there are three levels of training that I should be aware of.
> | > They are teacher, performance and evaluation.  The teacher training
> | > requires perfection, because the CFI-I is trying to achieve perfection
> | > in the student.  The next training level is that required by me - my
> | > performance.  I strive to be as near perfect as I can, since that's what
> | > the CFI-I is expecting of me.  The last one is evaluation, which is the
> | > DE's job.  He said that he doesn't require perfection, because no one is
> | > perfect.  He gave the written test as an example.  One can make a 70 on
> | > that test.  The FAA will actually pass someone who gets 30% - almost
> | > 1/3, of the questions wrong.  He said that as long as I can demonstrate
> | > proficiency in what the PTS requires, he will pass me.  He told me that
> | > I should not try to compete with his experience, only to do my best when
> | > I'm up there proving to him that I am indeed an instrument pilot.
> | >
> | > While with him, we started talking about the oral exam.  He said that
> | > the same thing holds true there.  He volunteered an example on his own.
> | > He said that most people teach and learn that the four things required
> | > on an airplane can be remembered as AROW - Airworthiness certificate,
> | > Registration, Operating limitations, and Weight and balance.  I said
> | > that this is what I have been taught.  He then pulled out a sheet and
> | > gave it to me.  The sheet said as follows:
> | >
> | >     CFI SPECIAL EMPHASIS PROGRAM AIRWORTHINESS CHECKLIST
> | >
> | > No secrets, No surprises:  in addition to items required by FAR 91 for
> | > General Operating and Flight Rules, the following items must be present
> | > in order to render a Standard Airworthiness determination on an
> aircraft:
> | >
> | >    1.  Airworthiness Certification (FAR 91.203)
> | >    2.  Registration Certificate (FAR 912.203)
> | >    3.  Aircraft Flight manual or Pilot Operating Handbook (current
> | >         revision), including current weight and balance data (FAR 91.9)
> | >    4.  Annual and/or 100 hour inspection due date (FAR 91.409/417)
> | >    5.  Current Status of Life - limited parts per T.C.D.S. (FAR 91.417)
> | >    6.  VOR Equipment Check for IFR operations (FAR 91.171)
> | >    7.  ELT - battery due date (FAR 91.207(c))
> | >    8.  ELT - ops inspection within last 12 months (FAR 91.207)
> | >    9.  Static system inspection certification (FAR 91.411)
> | >   10.  Altimeter Inspection Certification (FAR 91.411)
> | >   11.  Transponder Inspection Certification (FAR 911.413)
> | >   12.  Current status listing all application Airworthiness Directives
> | >          including time or date of recurring action (91.417)
> | >   13.  FAA form 337s for alterations or repairs (FAR 91.417)
> | >   14.  Inoperative Equipment Certifications (FAR 91.405)
> | >   15. External data Plate/Serial Number (FAR 45.11)
> | > "Airworthy" means an aircraft or one of its component parts meets its
> | > type design (or is properly altered) and is in a condition for safe
> | > operation (FAR 21.31).
> | >
> | >
> | > The DE said that the old memory aid AROW is now obsolete because our
> | > society has become a litigious society, and we need to adhere to the
> | > FARs and include all requirements, since the lawyers will go through
> | > them with a fine tooth comb.  Although I've known about the above
> | > requirements for a while, I've never seen them all written down
> | > together.  Hopefully all of us are aware of these requirements every
> | > time we fly.
> | >
> | > Simon Ramirez, Aerocanard Builder
> | > Oviedo, FL  USA
> |
> |
> | _______________________________________________
> | To change your email address, visit
> http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
> |
> | Visit the gallery!  tvbf:jamaicangoose
> |
> 
> 
> _______________________________________________
> To change your email address, visit http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
> 
> Visit the gallery!  tvbf:jamaicangoose
>