REFLECTOR:Cleveland Brakes

Jack Sheehan reflector@tvbf.org
Mon, 7 Jul 2003 10:07:07 -0400


Keith,
I have the compound Matco brakes and have been flying for about 55 
hours. I have not had the heat problems that were experienced with 
the early version. if you have not had the brakes reworked to the Rev 
A modification you need to send them back to Matco and get that done.
I was the first one to install the heat shield ( phenolic) because of 
all the reported heat problems with the original compound brake 
problems. I am not sure they are really required. I put heat 
detection indicators (Tape) on each brake housing. the lowest 
indicator is at 130 degrees and it has not indicated that the brake 
has ever gotten to that temperature. I have just used the brakes in a 
routine manner and have not done any intentional panic stops etc. I 
disassembled the brakes after about 10 hours just to check and 
everything looked fine with very little wear. I feel like when 
landing I have as much brake as I need. my aircraft seem to 
decelerate pretty well once I touch down and only minor braking is 
necessary to turn off in about 2000 feet. I have been flying at sea 
level with density altitudes under 2000 feet and mostly light 
airplane configurations.
Jack
N55XL