REFLECTOR:fuel tank leak testing

Ronnie Brown reflector@tvbf.org
Sat, 5 Jul 2003 13:42:02 -0400


This is a multi-part message in MIME format.

------=_NextPart_000_00B8_01C342FB.37142F00
Content-Type: text/plain;
	charset="iso-8859-1"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

I would suggest lowering the pressure to nearly nothing - perhaps have a =
friend blow into the hose, while you spray with dish detergent/water =
solution.  You should be able to make some good bubbles. If you use too =
much pressure/flow, the bubbles will just burst before you can see them.

Then as Dave Black suggests, make sure you pull a vacuum on the tank =
(again a friend) while applying the epoxy. It really needs to flow into =
the leak to be effective.  If you just brush the surface you will get a =
pretty light coating which can easily rupture.  The flow into the crack =
should be short.  Don't suck it all the way into the tank.

And be very careful about how much pressure you are putting on the tank =
- no more than 1/2 to 3/4 psi.  A good way to measure this is with a U =
tube manometer made with 1/4 or 3/8 tubing.  One end of the U tube =
should be open.  The other end connects to a tee.  The one leg of the =
tee connects to the tank, the other connects to a valve and hose that =
you blow or suck depending on what you need.  Each leg of the U needs to =
go up at least 2 to 3 feet.  Then by sucking or blowing, you can create =
a differential water level of 12-18" of water.

Good luck - don't give up - this has happened to a lots of folks!

Ronnie Brown
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: dean fitzbag=20
  To: reflector=20
  Sent: Saturday, July 05, 2003 1:01 PM
  Subject: REFLECTOR:fuel tank leak testing


  I'm still having difficulty finding and eliminating my fuel tank =
leaks.  Let me review what I have done.

  My two small bulkheads between the large rear bulkhead and the main =
spar have already been installed, but I can get my hand through the =
opening.

  I reduce the pressure on my air tank/pump to a few psi (so I can =
easily stop the flow with my finger) so as to not damage the tank.  I =
can hear the air escaping from behind the large bulkhead.  When I first =
began working on it, I could feel air coming from that area just by =
reaching my hand in there.  I have used a soapy solution, but cannot see =
any bubbles.  I have used this technique with tires  before with good =
results.  However, the pressure in those cases were over 30psi.

  I then tried using the tubing as some of you suggested.  The sound is =
not localized and seems to be very steady all along the rear bulkhead.

  I have applied sealant all along the seam using a paint brush attached =
to a pair of sticks so that I can adjust the paint brush after getting =
it through the small bulkheads.

  It is hard to tell without quantitative measurement, but I think it is =
improving some.

  I also tried to spray epoxy in the cavity using a water sprayer.  The =
epoxy and cabasil were too think to really spray.

  Any help would be appreciated.

------=_NextPart_000_00B8_01C342FB.37142F00
Content-Type: text/html;
	charset="iso-8859-1"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN">
<HTML xmlns:v xmlns:o><HEAD>
<META http-equiv=3DContent-Type =
content=3Dtext/html;charset=3Diso-8859-1>
<STYLE></STYLE>

<META content=3D"MSHTML 5.50.4134.600" name=3DGENERATOR></HEAD>
<BODY id=3DMailContainerBody=20
style=3D"PADDING-LEFT: 10px; FONT-WEIGHT: normal; FONT-SIZE: 10pt; =
COLOR: #000000; BORDER-TOP-STYLE: none; PADDING-TOP: 15px; FONT-STYLE: =
normal; FONT-FAMILY: Verdana; BORDER-RIGHT-STYLE: none; =
BORDER-LEFT-STYLE: none; TEXT-DECORATION: none; BORDER-BOTTOM-STYLE: =
none"=20
bgColor=3D#ffffff leftMargin=3D0 topMargin=3D0 name=3D"Compose message =
area"=20
CanvasTabStop=3D"true" acc_role=3D"text">
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial>I would suggest lowering the pressure to nearly =
nothing -=20
perhaps have&nbsp;a friend blow into the hose, while you spray with dish =

detergent/water solution.&nbsp; You should be able to make some good =
bubbles. If=20
you use too much pressure/flow, the bubbles will just burst before you =
can see=20
them.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial>Then as Dave Black suggests, make sure you pull =
a vacuum=20
on the tank (again a friend) while applying the epoxy. It really needs =
to flow=20
into the leak to be effective.&nbsp; If you just brush the surface you =
will get=20
a pretty light coating which can easily rupture.&nbsp; The flow into the =
crack=20
should be short.&nbsp; Don't suck it all the way into the =
tank.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial>And be very careful about how much pressure you =
are=20
putting on the tank - no more than 1/2 to 3/4 psi.&nbsp; A good way to =
measure=20
this is with a U tube manometer made with 1/4 or 3/8 tubing.&nbsp; One =
end of=20
the U tube should be open.&nbsp; The other end connects to a tee.&nbsp; =
The one=20
leg of the tee connects to the tank, the other connects to a valve and =
hose that=20
you blow or suck depending on what you need.&nbsp; Each leg of the U =
needs to go=20
up at least 2 to 3 feet.&nbsp; Then by sucking or blowing, you can =
create a=20
differential water level of 12-18" of water.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial>Good luck - don't give up - this has happened to =
a lots of=20
folks!</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial>Ronnie Brown</FONT></DIV>
<BLOCKQUOTE dir=3Dltr=20
style=3D"PADDING-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; =
BORDER-LEFT: #000000 2px solid; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px">
  <DIV style=3D"FONT: 10pt arial">----- Original Message ----- </DIV>
  <DIV=20
  style=3D"BACKGROUND: #e4e4e4; FONT: 10pt arial; font-color: =
black"><B>From:</B>=20
  <A title=3Ddfitzbag@msn.com href=3D"mailto:dfitzbag@msn.com">dean =
fitzbag</A>=20
  </DIV>
  <DIV style=3D"FONT: 10pt arial"><B>To:</B> <A =
title=3Dreflector@tvbf.org=20
  href=3D"mailto:reflector@tvbf.org">reflector</A> </DIV>
  <DIV style=3D"FONT: 10pt arial"><B>Sent:</B> Saturday, July 05, 2003 =
1:01=20
  PM</DIV>
  <DIV style=3D"FONT: 10pt arial"><B>Subject:</B> REFLECTOR:fuel tank =
leak=20
  testing</DIV>
  <DIV><BR></DIV>
  <DIV>I'm still having difficulty finding and eliminating my fuel tank=20
  leaks.&nbsp; Let me review what I have done.</DIV>
  <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
  <DIV>My two small bulkheads between the large rear bulkhead and the =
main spar=20
  have already been installed, but I can get my hand through the =
opening.</DIV>
  <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
  <DIV>I reduce the pressure on my air tank/pump to a few psi (so I can =
easily=20
  stop the flow with my finger) so as to not damage the tank.&nbsp; I =
can hear=20
  the air escaping from behind the large bulkhead.&nbsp; When I first =
began=20
  working on it, I could feel air coming from that area just by reaching =
my hand=20
  in there.&nbsp; I have used a soapy solution, but cannot see any=20
  bubbles.&nbsp; I have used this technique with tires&nbsp; before with =
good=20
  results.&nbsp; However, the pressure in those cases were over =
30psi.</DIV>
  <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
  <DIV>I then tried using the tubing as some of you suggested.&nbsp; The =
sound=20
  is not localized and seems to be very&nbsp;steady all along the rear=20
  bulkhead.</DIV>
  <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
  <DIV>I have applied sealant all along the seam using a paint brush =
attached to=20
  a pair of sticks so&nbsp;that I can adjust the paint brush after =
getting it=20
  through the small bulkheads.</DIV>
  <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
  <DIV>It is hard to tell without quantitative measurement, but I think =
it is=20
  improving some.</DIV>
  <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
  <DIV>I also tried to spray epoxy in the cavity using a water =
sprayer.&nbsp;=20
  The epoxy and cabasil were too think to really spray.</DIV>
  <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
  <DIV>Any help would be appreciated.</DIV></BLOCKQUOTE></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_00B8_01C342FB.37142F00--