REFLECTOR:Slaved Throttle Quads

reflector@tvbf.org reflector@tvbf.org
Thu, 18 Dec 2003 13:19:17 -0500


This line of thinking begs me to ask the question as to the failure mode
for our installations.  I have assumed that the "carb" has a return spring.
Is this the case?  If not, could it be rigged to stay or go open?  That
would keep the power up and one would then use the mag switch to control
power.  Certainly would seem to offer more positive outcomes than a return
to idle.




                                                                                                                                        
                      "Wayne"                                                                                                           
                      <wowens@darientel        To:       <reflector@tvbf.org>                                                           
                      .net>                    cc:                                                                                      
                      Sent by:                 Subject:  Re: REFLECTOR:Slaved Throttle Quads                                            
                      reflector-admin@t                                                                                                 
                      vbf.org                                                                                                           
                                                                                                                                        
                                                                                                                                        
                      12/18/2003 12:46                                                                                                  
                      PM                                                                                                                
                      Please respond to                                                                                                 
                      reflector                                                                                                         
                                                                                                                                        
                                                                                                                                        




I have an acquaintance who had a throttle cable failure at the termination.
Consequently since my rice burner was set up for a throttle cable and a
cruise control cable I just ran two throttle cables for the redundancy.
 food for thought   at least a small snack.
Wayne
 ----- Original Message -----
 From: Velocity_AZ
 To: reflector@tvbf.org
 Sent: Thursday, December 18, 2003 11:56 AM
 Subject: REFLECTOR:Slaved Throttle Quads

 Since you can get some slop in cables ? especially when they run quite a
 distance, I decided to slave the two throttle quads with a torque tube
 that runs behind the instrument panel.  This way both throttles are
 connected to a stiff bar that then operates one cable back to the engine.
 If you look at the web address I gave you, there are some photos that show
 the installation.

 Kevin

       -----Original Message-----
       From: reflector-admin@tvbf.org [mailto:reflector-admin@tvbf.org]On
       Behalf Of Alex Balic
       Sent: Thursday, December 18, 2003 9:48 AM
       To: reflector@tvbf.org
       Subject: RE: REFLECTOR:Velocity on Front Page of AZ Republic - Great
       News

       Kevin,
       I was thinking of doing the same with the throttles- did you just
       slave the co-pilot to the pilot? or do they both run to the
       firewall?
             -----Original Message-----
             From: reflector-admin@tvbf.org
             [mailto:reflector-admin@tvbf.org]On Behalf Of Velocity_AZ
             Sent: Thursday, December 18, 2003 9:29 AM
             To: reflector@tvbf.org
             Subject: RE: REFLECTOR:Velocity on Front Page of AZ Republic -
             Great News
             Alex,

             We installed dual slaved P-51-style throttle quadrants.  The
             mixture and prop controls are push-pulls.

             I've been following your progress through Milt ? Keep at it!

             Kevin

                   -----Original Message-----
                   From: reflector-admin@tvbf.org
                   [mailto:reflector-admin@tvbf.org]On Behalf Of Alex Balic
                   Sent: Thursday, December 18, 2003 8:19 AM
                   To: reflector@tvbf.org
                   Subject: RE: REFLECTOR:Velocity on Front Page of AZ
                   Republic - Great News

                   Kevin,
                   I remember Milton told me that you were doing some
                   airbrush painting on the plane- looks interesting! I am
                   still a way off, getting my engine installed now, but
                   will plan to fly before interior installation (except
                   for the seats of course) so I am trying to get some
                   ideas together....... I would be interested to see the
                   exterior paint whenever you get them uploaded, please
                   let me know,    also, what is the black handle to the
                   left of the instrument panel? Is it the throttle, with
                   vernier control for mixture and prop?    Really nice
                   job, wish I was done too..............

                   Alex

                         -----Original Message-----
                         From: reflector-admin@tvbf.org
                         [mailto:reflector-admin@tvbf.org]On Behalf Of
                         Velocity_AZ
                         Sent: Thursday, December 18, 2003 8:04 AM
                         To: reflector@tvbf.org
                         Subject: RE: REFLECTOR:Velocity on Front Page of
                         AZ Republic - Great News
                         Alex,

                         I just got the plane back from the interior shop
                         two days ago.  Did a final w&b and finished flying
                         off my 40 hours yesterday - on the 100 yr
                         anniversary!

                         I do have a place you can view all the photos
                         during the construction process, however, I don't
                         have any pics of the paint job on it ? I haven't
                         taken any yet.  There is so much detail in it that
                         unless you are standing right in front of it, you
                         can't really appreciate it ? pictures just don't
                         do it justice.  However, I will upload a few pics
                         of my interior today.  The photos are at Sony
                         Imagestation ? you have to join (create user name
                         & password) ? it's free.

                         http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=4291366131&code=7548966&mode=invite

                         There is a fair picture of the entire plane (not
                         close up, though) on the cover of this month's
                         America's Flyways.

                         Regards,

                         Kevin

                               -----Original Message-----
                               From: reflector-admin@tvbf.org
                               [mailto:reflector-admin@tvbf.org]On Behalf
                               Of Alex Balic
                               Sent: Wednesday, December 17, 2003 7:56 PM
                               To: reflector@tvbf.org
                               Subject: RE: REFLECTOR:Velocity on Front
                               Page of AZ Republic - Great News

                               Kevin,
                               Do you have a web site or any other pictures
                               of your aircraft? - I am interested in the
                               paint scheme and interior that you used- it
                               is hard to see clearly in the rather small
                               picture on the web site, and I would like
                               more detail if possible...

                               Thanks

                               Alex
                                     -----Original Message-----
                                     From: reflector-admin@tvbf.org
                                     [mailto:reflector-admin@tvbf.org]On
                                     Behalf Of Velocity_AZ
                                     Sent: Monday, December 15, 2003 7:53
                                     AM
                                     To: reflector@tvbf.org
                                     Subject: RE: REFLECTOR:Velocity on
                                     Front Page of AZ Republic - Great News
                                     Thanks, Pete.  It was quite a thrill
                                     to see our picture on the front page ?
                                     we were expecting something much
                                     smaller in the Living section. If
                                     Saddam was captured just a little bit
                                     earlier ? we would have been bumped ?
                                     timing is everything!

                                     Send me your email address so we could
                                     make arrangements to hook up at DVT.

                                     Kevin


                                           -----Original Message-----
                                           From: reflector-admin@tvbf.org
                                           [mailto:reflector-admin@tvbf.org]
                                           On Behalf Of Peter Wetmore
                                           Sent: Sunday, December 14, 2003
                                           11:41 AM
                                           To: Velocity Reflector
                                           Subject: REFLECTOR:Velocity on
                                           Front Page of AZ Republic -
                                           Great News

                                           Congratulations to Kevin Steiner
                                           and Brooke Bessesen!!!!!!  Their
                                           Velocity is gracing the front
                                           page of the Arizona Republic as
                                           a part of celebration of flight
                                           in AZ - in preparation for the
                                           100th anniversary.  For those of
                                           you not familiar with AZ
                                           Republic, it is the state's
                                           largest newspaper and is
                                           published primarily for the
                                           Phoenix metro area but is
                                           available statewide.  The
                                           picture is great publicity for
                                           Velocity.  All in the picture
                                           look great - your dog is a
                                           wonderful touch..........  The
                                           picture is at
                                           http://www.azcentral.com/arizonarepublic/news/articles/1214aviation-main.html

                                           They are quoted in an article at
                                           http://www.azcentral.com/news/articles/1214aviation-spirit.html

                                           As a aside, Kevin and Brooke, we
                                           didn't realize you had moved to
                                           Deer Valley Airport.  Where are
                                           you located (Kevin, I think you
                                           know we are at the SE hangars at
                                           21-5)?  We'd love to come and
                                           see your airplane while we are
                                           out there.  We've been out most
                                           weekends trying to fly off our
                                           40 hours.  We're about 1/2 way
                                           done.  We fly on most Saturdays
                                           in the AM and on Sundays during
                                           the mid-day.  Let us know when
                                           you are usually out there and
                                           hopefully we can come by to see
                                           your beautiful Velocity.






CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This e-mail message, including any attachments, 
is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain confidential
and privileged information or otherwise protected by law.  Any unauthorized
review, use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited.  If you are not the
intended recipient, please contact the sender by reply e-mail and destroy
all copies of the original message.