REFLECTOR:VG's on my XL results

Jim Sower reflector@tvbf.org
Wed, 10 Dec 2003 22:28:47 -0600


<... Decrease in take-off roll was 7% above what I got with the trailing edge fences
....>
What do TE fences look like?  Sort of like Klaus' Vari-EZ fences bracketing the
ailerons?
I've been thinking they might help ... Jim S.

Scott wrote:

> Rodney,
>
> These were installed on an XL?
>
> >1. Stall speed decreased 4kts
>
> I'd say I got a good solid 5 but it could have been 4.
>
> >2. Cruise speed decreased 3kts
>
> I couldn't measure the loss, so I WAGed a 1 knot loss, I had to lose some
> right?
>
> >3. Control at approach speeds improved.
>
> Mine too
>
> >4. Nose drops on landing more abruptly when the lift finally gives away.
>
> Yep
>
> >5. Lift on the canard was noticeably increased during cruise.
>
> I didn't have any noticeable lift increase in cruise?
>
> >6. Decrease in take-off roll was 7% above what I got with the trailing edge
> >fences (from 15% up to 22% or thereabouts).
>
> I'd say mine was reduced by as much as 15%, maybe more.
>
> high fields all the time, I would add them back.  I was/am still looking for
> >the magical 200kt cruise speed
>
> Ain't we all!
>
> I wonder if you might have gotten the VG's on the
> Canard,  miss-located?   Which would explain the speed loss in cruise and
> the increased lift in cruise.
>
> Scott