REFLECTOR:Vortex Generators on XL

Jim Sower reflector@tvbf.org
Sat, 06 Dec 2003 23:50:02 -0600


--------------082D07D0A24FFE633431ACB9
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

SlvEgl99@aol.com wrote:

> Jim S.,
>
> Is yours an XL?

No.  Started out as 1988 FG 173 and was retrofitted with gull
wing doors

> How do you rate control responsiveness at the reduced landing
> speeds?

Flying 5-10 kts slower in the groove will always degrade
responsiveness.  As I said earlier, I've had no problem (and no
noticeable degradation) of pitch authority down to about 65
kts.  I do have to carry more power in the groove (I assume
that's because I'm a little on the back side of the curve).
Roll authority does suffer.  It's important to note that I
sealed my aileron hinge gaps long before I installed VGs, so I
don't have really good data on VGs alone.  I would estimate that
my roll authority at 70 kts with VGs and sealed gaps is close to
what I used to have at 80-85 kts with no gap seals and no VGs.

If I was advising anyone, I'd say seal the hinge gaps first and
then do the VGs (matter of fact, I'd advise hinge gap seals even
if you don't opt for VGs).  As I decel to 75 kts in the groove I
find myself kicking a lot of rudder to enhance roll authority,
but Velocitys (at least ones anything like mine) are going to
wallow a lot in the groove on a good day.

> Bob wood
> XL FG

Jim Sower
Crossville, TN; Chapter 5
Long-EZ N83RT, Velocity N4095T


--------------082D07D0A24FFE633431ACB9
Content-Type: text/html; charset=us-ascii
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

<!doctype html public "-//w3c//dtd html 4.0 transitional//en">
<html>
SlvEgl99@aol.com wrote:
<blockquote TYPE=CITE><font face="Arial"><font size=-1>Jim S.,</font></font>
<p><font face="Arial"><font size=-1>Is yours an XL?</font></font></blockquote>
No.&nbsp; Started out as 1988 FG 173 and was retrofitted with gull wing
doors
<blockquote TYPE=CITE><font face="Arial"><font size=-1>How do you rate
control responsiveness at the reduced landing speeds?</font></font></blockquote>
Flying 5-10 kts slower in the groove will <b>always</b> degrade responsiveness.&nbsp;
As I said earlier, I've had no problem (and no noticeable degradation)
of pitch authority down to about 65 kts.&nbsp; I do have to carry more
power in the groove (I assume that's because I'm a little on the back side
of the curve).&nbsp; Roll authority does suffer.&nbsp; It's important to
note that I sealed my aileron hinge gaps long before I installed VGs, so
I don't have really good data on VGs alone.&nbsp; I would estimate that
my roll authority at 70 kts with VGs and sealed gaps is close to what I
used to have at 80-85 kts with no gap seals and no VGs.
<p>If I was advising anyone, I'd say seal the hinge gaps <b>first</b> and
then do the VGs (matter of fact, I'd advise hinge gap seals even if you
<b>don't</b> opt for VGs).&nbsp; As I decel to 75 kts in the groove I find
myself kicking a lot of rudder to enhance roll authority, but Velocitys
(at least ones anything like mine) are going to wallow a lot in the groove
on a <b>good</b> day.
<blockquote TYPE=CITE><font face="Arial"><font size=-1>Bob wood</font></font>
<br><font face="Arial"><font size=-1>XL FG</font></font></blockquote>
Jim Sower
<br>Crossville, TN; Chapter 5
<br>Long-EZ N83RT, Velocity N4095T
<br>&nbsp;</html>

--------------082D07D0A24FFE633431ACB9--