REFLECTOR:RE: Vernitherm as a Bypass Valve

Rene Dugas reflector@tvbf.org
Thu, 4 Dec 2003 16:42:25 -0600


How cold does modern oil have to get to "congeal"?  I've never seen it
but I live, love and fly in Louisiana.
Rene'

-----Original Message-----
From: reflector-admin@tvbf.org [mailto:reflector-admin@tvbf.org] On
Behalf Of Scott
Sent: Tuesday, December 02, 2003 9:32 PM
To: reflector@tvbf.org
Subject: Re: REFLECTOR:RE: Vernitherm as a Bypass Valve

Bob,

As I understand it, I've never cut one apart, a non-congealing oil
cooler 
has a large orifice running through some portion of the cooler that
allows 
the cold congealed oil to flow through it.  The veritherm/bypass valve 
that's on your accessary case allows a very small amount of oil to flow
all 
the time(when its closed its not totally closed) .  This small amount of

oil flows all the time, as it warms up it slowly warms up the cooler.
If 
the cooler is really really cold then when the veritherm valve opens the

oil will only flow though the "wee-wee" hole in the cooler at first,
slowly 
warming up the smaller cooling orifices right next to the flow and 
spreading out from there.

Thats how I understand it.

Some oil coolers have there own veritherm valve built in so you can run 
multiple coolers but only the ones that see hot oil will open up and
cool 
the oil.  Is that what your talking about?   I've only seen these on 
automotive coolers.

The veritherm valve that is also a bypass valve that I am talking about
is 
built into a housing that bolts to the accessary case and that's where
you 
hook up your external filter/cooler lines.

Scott

At 06:30 PM 12/1/2003, you wrote:
>Scott,
>
>Can you please explain what a "congealing oil cooler is" and what was
done
>to make them "non-congealing" in "modern" times?  Do the newer
Vernitherms
>also function to bypass oil when the pressure is too high, as well as
when
>the oil temperature is too cold?
>
>We have a Vernitherm in our engine oil cooler, but as far as I know,
there
>is not one in the forward oil cooler or the "sandwich" that sends the
oil to
>the forward cooler.  Therefore, you would think that oil congealing in
the
>forward oil cooler could still obstruct normal engine oil flow, since
the
>forward oil cooler is a part of a "serial" path coming out of the
engine oil
>filter via the sandwich.
>
>A related point -- if it's the Vernitherm's additional bypass function
that
>protects the normal engine cooler against congealing, although it would
then
>allow oil to bypass the cooler, oil would no longer be cooling in the
cooler
>and also the oil congealed in the cooler would be "out of service" and
the
>effective oil circulating in the engine would be reduced by the amount
still
>congealed in the cooler.
>
>I appreciate your insights -- sorry to bore everyone else to death on
this
>subject,
>Bob
>
>
>
>-----Original Message-----
>
>"...No modern(later than 1965?) airplane has a congealing oil cooler on
it,
>or
>maybe I should say, can't imagine any one actually installing one on a
new
>airplane such as our homebuilts..."
>
>
>
>_______________________________________________
>To change your email address, visit 
>http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>
>Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
>user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
>Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
>Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html

_______________________________________________
To change your email address, visit
http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector

Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html