REFLECTOR: Ordering an MT Prop
Ronnie Brown
reflector@tvbf.org
Thu, 4 Dec 2003 12:16:46 -0500
I had planned to buy an M/T for my IO360 but now I am SO glad I didn't waste
my money!
Yes, I lost bit of cruise (170 down to 160 kts when I had to change from a
72 pitch to 70" pitch) but I can buy 6 Catto props for the price of one
dubious M/T.
Ronnie
----- Original Message -----
From: "Scott" <scott@tnstaafl.net>
To: <reflector@tvbf.org>
Sent: Thursday, December 04, 2003 11:57 AM
Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: Ordering an MT Prop
| Its interesting that there are many aluminum props made for the 200 HP
| Lycomings that have no problems of this sort.
|
| I would think a composite prop would be even more resilient?
|
| Scott
|
| At 09:13 AM 12/4/2003, you wrote:
| >In a message dated 12/3/2003 4:34:48 PM Pacific Standard Time,
| >sbakr@comcast.net writes:
| >Doug,
| >Before I forget, if you are operating a Lycoming IO-360C1C or other
| >Lycoming non-counterweighted crank shaft engine, the MT-Propeller(s) for
| >this application have certain operational rpm restrictions that need to
be
| >followed.
| >
| >Being the one who brought this RPM restriction range for
| >non-counterweighted engines "out of the closet," I have had first hand
| >experience with the blade cracking, and open to options. My hanger
| >neighbor (Don) is building a Cozy 4, with a non-counterweighted Lyc. He
| >had an mt ordered through Velocity. Yes, he checked and Velocity was the
| >best provider he could find. However, when he learned of the restricted
| >range, he investigated other options. A fellow at our airport has a
| >Defiant, with Hoffmans on it. Don contacted Hoffman who said they could
| >provide a propeller without a restricted range for the
non-counterweighted
| >engines, so he ordered one. He said Velocity was very accommodating on
| >canceling the mt order. However, the cost is going to be about $2,000
| >more than the mt from Velocity. I don't really think this is the
| >direction we want to go.
| >
| >Maybe Scott Baker has some info regarding pros & cons of the Hoffman,
| >other than the price.
| >
| >TEC
|
| _______________________________________________
| To change your email address, visit
http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
|
| Visit the gallery! www.tvbf.org/gallery
| user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
| Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
| Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html