REFLECTOR:Fiberglass Instrument Panel Backing

Jim Agnew reflector@tvbf.org
Tue, 2 Dec 2003 12:04:51 -0800 (PST)


I backed my panel with 3/16" Plexiglas so I could use LEDs
to edge light the instruments.  I cut the panel with heavy
duty hole saws using a 5HP Bridgeport precision milling
machine with digital positioning.  It destroyed the hole
saws and pulled the chucks of two spindles in the process
so I can tell you that the panel is hard on tools.  

Have any need for toothless proper size hole saws and two
worthless chucks?

Jim

--- Ronnie Brown <romott@adelphia.net> wrote:
> I believe your avionics shop just doesn't want to mess
> with fiberglass.
> 
> I sent a sample to a panel cutter and he said the
> fiberglass destroyed his
> high speed, computerized cutting bit.  I would think our
> fiberglass is as
> tough as aluminum panels. (perhaps tougher?)
> 
> Ronnie
> 
> 
> 
> ----- Original Message -----
> From: "Bob Jackson" <bobj@computer.org>
> To: "Reflector" <reflector@tvbf.org>
> Cc: "Bob Jackson (Home)" <bobj@computer.org>
> Sent: Tuesday, December 02, 2003 10:35 AM
> Subject: REFLECTOR:Fiberglass Instrument Panel Backing
> 
> 
> | I heard from one of the avionics vendors that there are
> problems with
> using
> | fiberglass instrument panels like we use in the
> Velocity because some of
> the
> | bigger, heavier instruments widen out the fiberglass
> holes over time with
> | airframe vibration, hard landings, etc.
> |
> | Have people flying had this problem?  Are you using
> metal insert panels,
> | metal backing plates, carbon fiber backing, or other
> similar methods to
> | prevent the problem?
> |
> | Thanks,
> | Bob Jackson
> | Velocity XL (not flying yet)
> | N2XF
> |
> |
> | _______________________________________________
> | To change your email address, visit
> http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
> |
> | Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
> | user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
> | Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
> | Check old archives:
> http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
> 
> 
> 
> 
> _______________________________________________
> To change your email address, visit
> http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
> 
> Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
> Check old archives:
http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html


=====
James F. Agnew
Jim_Agnew_2@Yahoo.Com
Tampa, FL
Velocity 173 Elite Aircraft Completed & Flying