REFLECTOR:Wing Voids in Shaw's Wings
Chuck Jensen
reflector@tvbf.org
Tue, 26 Aug 2003 17:30:36 -0400
Ronnie,
Are you not able to detect the void by tapping on the skin with the butt of
a screwdriver or some other object and listen for a "ring" versus a "thunk"?
What is the fix technique? Are you able to inject a filler into them if you
discover them before the break or is it just easier to fill them after they
break and reshape the fix area? Do you know if the factory come up with a
technique to eliminate the underlying separation in future wings, or are
they now into a different process?
Chuck, in East Tennessee where we've seen the sun for 4 straight days and we
don't know how to act.
-----Original Message-----
From: reflector-admin@tvbf.org [mailto:reflector-admin@tvbf.org]On
Behalf Of Ronnie Brown
Sent: Tuesday, August 26, 2003 3:17 PM
To: reflector@tvbf.org
Subject: Re: REFLECTOR:Wing Voids in Shaw's Wings
Yes, that is correct. As I understand it, Alan used female molds similar to
the way the fuselage is done, except the wings are solid so I would imagine
it is difficult to get the triax to stay against the mold when the foam is
laid in. There is a scattering of 25 or so of these large pits over about a
5 foot section of the leading edge on the left wing and 3 similar pits on
the leading edge of the right side winglet. I'm sure these would have
popped if I had put the final paint on it too, so I'm happy I waited. I
still have a bit of right wing heavy so I need to put a shim in which will
require a little rework of the wing to strake joint.
Ronnie
----- Original Message -----
From: "Scott Derrick" <scott@tnstaafl.net>
To: <reflector@tvbf.org>
Sent: Tuesday, August 26, 2003 3:30 PM
Subject: Re: REFLECTOR:Wing Voids in Shaw's Wings
| Yeah I thought that odd too? Did the rain bust the skin over the voids?
|
| Scott
|
| Chuck Jensen wrote:
|
| > Ronnie,
| >
| > How were the rain and voids related? That's an odd one, or is it?
| >
| > Chuck
| >
| > -----Original Message-----
| > From: reflector-admin@tvbf.org [mailto:reflector-admin@tvbf.org]On
| > Behalf Of Ronnie Brown
| > Sent: Sunday, August 24, 2003 10:20 AM
| > To: reflector@tvbf.org
| > Subject: REFLECTOR:Wing Voids in Shaw's Wings
| >
| >
| > Hi Chuck I'm here!
| >
| > But fixing to go to the airport to fly a bit (its been awfully murky
around
| > here for a week!) and then fill a bunch of little voids (approx 20 -
1/8"
| > dia in the left wing leading edge) that I found after running through
some
| > heavy rain on the way back from Oshkosh.
| >
| > Glad I haven't put the final paint on yet!!!
| >
| > Ronnie
| >
| > ----- Original Message -----
| > From: "Chuck Jensen" <cjensen@dts9000.com>
| > To: <reflector@tvbf.org>
| > Sent: Sunday, August 24, 2003 10:53 AM
| > Subject: REFLECTOR:Test
| >
| >
| > | No postings for two days???
| > | _______________________________________________
| > | To change your email address, visit
| > http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
| > |
| > | Visit the gallery! tvbf:jamaicangoose
| >
| >
| >
| >
| > _______________________________________________
| > To change your email address, visit
| > http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
| >
| > Visit the gallery! tvbf:jamaicangoose
| > _______________________________________________
| > To change your email address, visit
http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
| >
| > Visit the gallery! tvbf:jamaicangoose
| >
|
| _______________________________________________
| To change your email address, visit
http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
|
| Visit the gallery! tvbf:jamaicangoose
_______________________________________________
To change your email address, visit
http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
Visit the gallery! tvbf:jamaicangoose