REFLECTOR:Engine ram air

Jim Agnew reflector@tvbf.org
Wed, 20 Aug 2003 17:53:31 -0700 (PDT)


The air intake should not be less in square inches than the
area of the fuel controller intake.  If the controller
intake is 3" then the area is a little more than 7 Sq. In..

Jim

 
--- KeithHallsten <KeithHallsten@quiknet.com> wrote:
> Rene',
> 
> I have no particular expertise on this subject to share
> with you, but this month's Sport Aviation has an article
> on engine cooling that may have some principles you can
> put to work.
> 
> Keith
>  
>   ----- Original Message ----- 
>   From: Rene Dugas 
>   To: reflector@tvbf.org 
>   Sent: Wednesday, August 20, 2003 10:18 AM
>   Subject: REFLECTOR:Engine ram air
> 
> 
>   I've asked this before but did not get an answer.  I am
> no engineer either.  How big should the opening be on a
> ram air scoop feeding air to the engine on an IO 540 at
> 2300 rpm's?  I understand it is best to not have the
> scoop any bigger than necessary because of the overflow
> forms a slow mushroom of backed up air pushed ahead of
> the scoop.  Any takers?  Mine is about 2.5 by 2.75"
> expanding into an airbox with a K& N filter then into the
> 3 inch orifice under the engine.
> 
>   Rene'
> 


=====
James F. Agnew
Jim_Agnew_2@Yahoo.Com
Tampa, FL
Velocity 173 Elite Aircraft Completed