REFLECTOR:Nose Gear Shimmy
Rene Dugas
reflector@tvbf.org
Wed, 20 Aug 2003 12:09:30 -0500
Similar findings. 20 #'s work well in my XL RG. At 15 I found my tube
was strained at the stem by a slipping tire. I release the pressure
pulled on the stem and aired it up to 20 3 months ago without
recurrence.
Rene'
N129RD
-----Original Message-----
From: reflector-admin@tvbf.org [mailto:reflector-admin@tvbf.org] On
Behalf Of John Dibble
Sent: Tuesday, August 19, 2003 7:58 AM
To: reflector@tvbf.org
Subject: Re: REFLECTOR:Nose Gear Shimmy
Well, Chuck, it works like a charm! I reduced the nose pressure from 40
to 18 psig
and no shimmy at high speeds. Of course, as life goes, my test flight
was a perfect
landing, touching down on the numbers at 70 kn, so I didn't give it the
acid test.
However the following day after 6 hours in the air, it seemed that the
Franklin was
not running smoothly at any prop pitch setting (it was probably just
that I was
fatigued, or does the engine get fatigued too?), so I had an unplanned,
and
less-than-perfect landing at 80+kn at Punxsutawney (3000 ft, and, no, I
didn't see the
woodchuck). Again, no shimmy at the maximum braking a Matco can offer.
I do get some
shimmy at ~ 15 kn, so ultimately I will balance the wheel, but the
higher speed is
most important. I haven't loosened the nut yet, but will do that soon
for better
steering.
BTW, my flying club is having a fly-in breakfast on 9/1 (Labor Day). We
have a 3000
ft grass strip in the middle of the Finger Lakes (NY). Dundee - D48.
If anyone is
interested I will provide more info.
John
Chuck Jensen wrote:
> Well, in answer to John's query about the pressure I carry in the nose
tire,
> and contrary to Steve's experience, I found the softer-the-better, at
least
> to the point that the tire is "squishy" when pilot/copilot is loaded.
On my
> first post, I was going to put in the pressures, then I thought that I
might
> just be showing/confirming my ignorance.
>
> At that risk, the initial pressure was 16.5#, which was a shock when I
took
> the reading because usually a smaller tire will have a higher pressure
and I
> run my mains at 40#. So, I pressured the nose to 35#, which resulted
in the
> shimmy. When I reduced it back to 15.0#, the shimmy was gone. I then
> tightened the washers 1/3 turn to cinch them up a bit. I haven't
tried
> increasing the air pressure since tightening the washers. I'm going
to
> locate a good grass strip by my home base before I do that!
>
> Previously, I had the washers really tightened down and got tired of
having
> to "punch" the brakes to get the nose to break loose for steering. I
> disassembled the nose gear (it was pretty dry and grabby), cleaned,
buffed
> and regreased everything. When I put it back together, I tightened it
to be
> somewhat less (though not measured) than the 15-20# recommended
break-away
> force. This worked great, easy to steer, until I increased the tire
> pressure and made the tire hard. My theory is the slightly softer
tire may
> incur greater friction and less bounce which reduces shimmy tendency,
though
> Scott's experience is directly contrary.
>
> A possible side benefit of the soft tire is less stress on the nose
gear
> during landing, particularly a hard one. (I've never done one, you
> understand, but I hear stories about others with lesser piloting
skills.)
> The slight compression of the front tire would seem likely to reduce
the
> impact-shock if your nose drops on the runway instead of greasing it
on like
> I always do.
>
> Chuck
> With ocean property in Arizona.
_______________________________________________
To change your email address, visit
http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
Visit the gallery! tvbf:jamaicangoose