REFLECTOR:NACA inlet shape
CBarber
reflector@tvbf.org
Fri, 15 Aug 2003 18:55:20 -0500
This is a multi-part message in MIME format.
------=_NextPart_000_0044_01C3635E.C6512C30
Content-Type: text/plain;
charset="iso-8859-1"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Re: REFLECTOR:NACA inlet shapeMy thoughts as well. I am just far from an
engineer. I am more of a "that makes sense" type of guy (hoping that does
not get me in to too much trouble)
Some of the guys on my Mazda rotary list are ADAMANT engineers who do not
like any opinions other than their own. And since one of the most vocal and
experienced helped the Voyager fly around the world, I listen to their
opinions.....but I will still try "that makes sense approach" as well.
All the best,
Chris
Christopher Barber
Attorney and Counselor at Law
11930 S Sam Houston Pkwy E
Suite 103
Houston, Texas 77089-4755
281-464-LAWS (5297)
"Serving the needs of Senior Texans"
CBarber@TexasAttorney.net
www.TexasAttorney.net
-----Original Message-----
From: reflector-admin@tvbf.org [mailto:reflector-admin@tvbf.org]On Behalf
Of Alexander Balic
Sent: Friday, August 15, 2003 6:01 PM
To: reflector@tvbf.org
Subject: RE: REFLECTOR:NACA inlet shape
Chris,
It is interesting to me that there would be any difference as to what you
are using the captured air for, although there probably would be a
difference in how much pressure ultimately the submerged scoop can generate,
since it is not a direct ram air source, probably after enough back pressure
develops, the inlet becomes "blocked" and further attempts to pressurize the
plenum will just result in the air bypassing the ramp altogether, so
probably. a good radiator scoop might require a ram air source ala P-51 that
moves the opening out of the boundary layer of the fuselage. But I will
certainly try to e NACA first, then change to a ram scoop if I do not get
enough cooling.
Alex
-----Original Message-----
From: reflector-admin@tvbf.org [mailto:reflector-admin@tvbf.org]On Behalf
Of Christopher Barber
Sent: Thursday, August 14, 2003 1:53 PM
To: reflector@tvbf.org
Subject: RE: REFLECTOR:NACA inlet shape
I have seen it expressed though that according to that original research
that NACA scoops are not really suited for application of heat exchange
cooling. I need it to cool a radiator in my application. Those that know
more than I seem adamant that they do not work well (even making reference
to an alleged Velocity builder/flyer who hates them). However, it seems as
if Velocity, Inc. overall has had good results. Any of you engineering (or
programmers, or burger flippers etc) types have any thoughts on this.
Thanks for your insight and experience.
All the best,
Chris
Christopher Barber
Attorney and Counselor at Law
11930 S Sam Houston Pkwy E
Suite 103
Houston, Texas 77089-4755
281-464-LAWS (5297)
281-754-4168 (Fax)
"Serving the needs of Senior Texans"
CBarber@TexasAttorney.net
www.TexasAttorney.net
-----Original Message-----
From: reflector-admin@tvbf.org [mailto:reflector-admin@tvbf.org]On
Behalf Of Tony Babb
Sent: Tuesday, August 12, 2003 7:41 PM
To: reflector@tvbf.org
Subject: Re: REFLECTOR:NACA inlet shape
For the real enthusiast you can download the original NACA research
paper written in 1945. I'm not at home and don't have the reference but if
you go to www.larc.nasa.gov and then search their archive you should be able
to find it OK. The file is called naca-acr-5120.pdf it's about 12MB, title
is "An experimental investigation of NACA submerged-duct entrances".
In there you'll find recommendations for the shape of the duct and
also the shape of the lip on the wide end of the duct.
Fascinating stuff..
------=_NextPart_000_0044_01C3635E.C6512C30
Content-Type: text/html;
charset="iso-8859-1"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable
<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN">
<HTML><HEAD><TITLE>Re: REFLECTOR:NACA inlet shape</TITLE>
<META http-equiv=3DContent-Type content=3D"text/html; =
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
<STYLE type=3Dtext/css>BLOCKQUOTE {
PADDING-BOTTOM: 0px; PADDING-TOP: 0px
}
DL {
PADDING-BOTTOM: 0px; PADDING-TOP: 0px
}
UL {
PADDING-BOTTOM: 0px; PADDING-TOP: 0px
}
OL {
PADDING-BOTTOM: 0px; PADDING-TOP: 0px
}
LI {
PADDING-BOTTOM: 0px; PADDING-TOP: 0px
}
</STYLE>
<META content=3D"MSHTML 6.00.2800.1170" name=3DGENERATOR></HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><SPAN class=3D873483823-15082003><FONT face=3DArial color=3D#0000ff =
size=3D2>My=20
thoughts as well. I am just far from an engineer. I am more =
of a=20
"that makes sense" type of guy (hoping that does not get me in to too =
much=20
trouble)</FONT></SPAN></DIV>
<DIV><SPAN class=3D873483823-15082003><FONT face=3DArial color=3D#0000ff =
size=3D2></FONT></SPAN> </DIV>
<DIV><SPAN class=3D873483823-15082003><FONT face=3DArial color=3D#0000ff =
size=3D2>Some=20
of the guys on my Mazda rotary list are ADAMANT engineers who do not =
like any=20
opinions other than their own. And since one of the most vocal and =
experienced helped the Voyager fly around the world, I listen to =
their=20
opinions.....but I will still try "that makes sense approach" as=20
well.</FONT></SPAN></DIV>
<DIV><SPAN class=3D873483823-15082003><FONT face=3DArial color=3D#0000ff =
size=3D2></FONT></SPAN> </DIV>
<DIV><SPAN class=3D873483823-15082003><FONT face=3DArial color=3D#0000ff =
size=3D2>All=20
the best,</FONT></SPAN></DIV>
<DIV><SPAN class=3D873483823-15082003><FONT face=3DArial color=3D#0000ff =
size=3D2></FONT></SPAN> </DIV>
<DIV><SPAN class=3D873483823-15082003><FONT face=3DArial color=3D#0000ff =
size=3D2>Chris</FONT></SPAN></DIV>
<DIV> </DIV><BR><BR>
<P><FONT size=3D2>Christopher Barber<BR>Attorney and Counselor at =
Law<BR>11930 S=20
Sam Houston Pkwy E<BR>Suite 103<BR>Houston, Texas =
77089-4755<BR>281-464-LAWS=20
(5297)<BR><BR>"Serving the needs of Senior=20
Texans"<BR><BR>CBarber@TexasAttorney.net<BR>www.TexasAttorney.net</FONT> =
</P>
<BLOCKQUOTE dir=3Dltr style=3D"MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px">
<DIV class=3DOutlookMessageHeader dir=3Dltr align=3Dleft><FONT =
face=3DTahoma=20
size=3D2>-----Original Message-----<BR><B>From:</B> =
reflector-admin@tvbf.org=20
[mailto:reflector-admin@tvbf.org]<B>On Behalf Of </B>Alexander=20
Balic<BR><B>Sent:</B> Friday, August 15, 2003 6:01 PM<BR><B>To:</B>=20
reflector@tvbf.org<BR><B>Subject:</B> RE: REFLECTOR:NACA inlet=20
shape<BR><BR></FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial><FONT color=3D#0000ff><FONT size=3D2><SPAN=20
class=3D994495422-15082003>Chris,</SPAN></FONT></FONT></FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial><FONT color=3D#0000ff><FONT size=3D2><SPAN=20
class=3D994495422-15082003>It is interesting to me that there would be =
any=20
difference as to what you are using the captured air for, although=20
there probably would be a difference in how much pressure =
ultimately=20
the submerged scoop can generate, since it is not a direct ram air =
source,=20
probably after enough back pressure develops, the inlet becomes =
"blocked"=20
and further attempts to pressurize the plenum will just result in the =
air=20
bypassing the ramp altogether, so</SPAN> <SPAN=20
class=3D994495422-15082003> probably. a good radiator =
scoop might=20
require a ram air source ala P-51 that moves the opening out of the =
boundary=20
layer of the fuselage. But I will certainly try to e NACA first, then =
change=20
to a ram scoop if I do not get enough=20
cooling.</SPAN></FONT></FONT></FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial><FONT color=3D#0000ff><FONT size=3D2><SPAN=20
class=3D994495422-15082003></SPAN></FONT></FONT></FONT> </DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial><FONT color=3D#0000ff><FONT size=3D2><SPAN=20
class=3D994495422-15082003>Alex</SPAN></FONT></FONT></FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial><FONT color=3D#0000ff><FONT size=3D2><SPAN=20
class=3D994495422-15082003></SPAN></FONT></FONT></FONT> </DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial><FONT color=3D#0000ff><FONT size=3D2><SPAN=20
class=3D994495422-15082003></SPAN></FONT></FONT></FONT> </DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial><FONT color=3D#0000ff><FONT size=3D2><SPAN=20
class=3D994495422-15082003> </SPAN></FONT></FONT></FONT><FONT =
face=3DTahoma=20
size=3D2>-----Original Message-----<BR><B>From:</B> =
reflector-admin@tvbf.org=20
[mailto:reflector-admin@tvbf.org]<B>On Behalf Of </B>Christopher=20
Barber<BR><B>Sent:</B> Thursday, August 14, 2003 1:53 PM<BR><B>To:</B> =
reflector@tvbf.org<BR><B>Subject:</B> RE: REFLECTOR:NACA inlet=20
shape<BR><BR></DIV></FONT>
<BLOCKQUOTE dir=3Dltr style=3D"MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px">
<DIV><SPAN class=3D763253819-14082003><FONT face=3DGaramond =
color=3D#0000ff>I have=20
seen it expressed though that according to that original research =
that NACA=20
scoops are not really suited for application of heat exchange =
cooling. =20
I need it to cool a radiator in my application. Those that know more =
than I=20
seem adamant that they do not work well (even making reference to an =
alleged=20
Velocity builder/flyer who hates them). However, it seems as if =
Velocity,=20
Inc. overall has had good results. Any of you =
engineering=20
(or programmers, or burger flippers etc) types have any =
thoughts on=20
this. </FONT></SPAN></DIV>
<DIV><SPAN class=3D763253819-14082003><FONT face=3DGaramond=20
color=3D#0000ff></FONT></SPAN> </DIV>
<DIV><SPAN class=3D763253819-14082003><FONT face=3DGaramond =
color=3D#0000ff>Thanks=20
for your insight and experience.</FONT></SPAN></DIV>
<DIV><SPAN class=3D763253819-14082003><FONT face=3DGaramond=20
color=3D#0000ff></FONT></SPAN> </DIV>
<DIV><SPAN class=3D763253819-14082003><FONT face=3DGaramond =
color=3D#0000ff>All=20
the best,</FONT></SPAN></DIV>
<DIV><SPAN class=3D763253819-14082003><FONT face=3DGaramond=20
color=3D#0000ff></FONT></SPAN> </DIV>
<DIV><SPAN class=3D763253819-14082003><FONT face=3DGaramond=20
color=3D#0000ff>Chris</FONT></SPAN></DIV>
<DIV> </DIV>
<P><FONT size=3D2>Christopher Barber<BR>Attorney and Counselor at =
Law<BR>11930=20
S Sam Houston Pkwy E<BR>Suite 103<BR>Houston, Texas=20
77089-4755<BR>281-464-LAWS (5297)<BR>281-754-4168 =
(Fax)<BR><BR>"Serving the=20
needs of Senior=20
Texans"<BR><BR>CBarber@TexasAttorney.net<BR>www.TexasAttorney.net=20
</FONT></P>
<BLOCKQUOTE dir=3Dltr style=3D"MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px">
<DIV class=3DOutlookMessageHeader dir=3Dltr align=3Dleft><FONT =
face=3DTahoma=20
size=3D2>-----Original Message-----<BR><B>From:</B> =
reflector-admin@tvbf.org=20
[mailto:reflector-admin@tvbf.org]<B>On Behalf Of </B>Tony=20
Babb<BR><B>Sent:</B> Tuesday, August 12, 2003 7:41 =
PM<BR><B>To:</B>=20
reflector@tvbf.org<BR><B>Subject:</B> Re: REFLECTOR:NACA inlet=20
shape<BR><BR></FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>For the real enthusiast you can =
download the=20
original NACA research paper written in 1945. I'm not at home and =
don't=20
have the reference but if you go to <A=20
href=3D"http://www.larc.nasa.gov">www.larc.nasa.gov</A> and then =
search=20
their archive you should be able to find it OK. The file is =
called=20
naca-acr-5120.pdf it's about 12MB, title is "An experimental =
investigation=20
of NACA submerged-duct entrances".</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2></FONT> </DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>In there you'll find =
recommendations for the=20
shape of the duct and also the shape of the lip on the wide end of =
the=20
duct. </FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2></FONT> </DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Fascinating=20
=
stuff..</FONT></DIV></BLOCKQUOTE></BLOCKQUOTE></BLOCKQUOTE></BODY></HTML>=
------=_NextPart_000_0044_01C3635E.C6512C30--