REFLECTOR:Rudder Shim

Chuck Jensen reflector@tvbf.org
Sun, 10 Aug 2003 21:32:19 -0400


Scott,

Let me see if I have this right.  I unshim the left side about a 1/32 inch
which will deshim the right side an equivalent amount.  If this works, then
I progressively unshim the left rudder in 1/32 inch increments until I get
high speed flutter and the winglet falls off??  Then I know I went too far
and unloaded the left rudder!

I hate to be picky and difficult, but is there perhaps a way of determining
when I'm getting close to unloading the rudder....before I do?

I really like the idea of being able to reduce the shim out on the right
rudder by shimming in the left rudder.  Less opposed control surfaces in the
wind, less resistance, more speed.  I like it.  We just need to work out a
few details on that scary part about the high speed flutter!!  Sounds like
nose wheel shimmy, only scarier.

Scott, your mission, should you decide to accept it, will be to inform the
rest of us how the heck we do that!

Chuck



-----Original Message-----
From: reflector-admin@tvbf.org [mailto:reflector-admin@tvbf.org]On
Behalf Of Scott Derrick
Sent: Sunday, August 10, 2003 6:48 PM
To: reflector@tvbf.org
Subject: Re: REFLECTOR:Rudder Shim


Chuck,

I had exactly the same result as you did, ball in the middle, fuel flow 
just a purty as you could ask for, and I also thought I imagined a 
couple of extra knots!!

My only problem is with all the couple knot speed increases I've made so 
far I should be way up over 200 knots, but I'm still dragging along at 
175. :-(

Now, about driving tricks.... ;-)  Nah, I'll let that dead dog(I hope!!) 
lie.


Chuck, you can try this to even out the rudder shimming, but approach 
this with due caution.  I created a wicked winglet flutter by over doing 
it.  It scared me and my wife out of a year or two and took lots of 
phone calls and help from a good friend and A&P to get it resolved.

I'm not really recommending you do this but you may think of it and try 
what I did and not realize it could bite you bad if you brought the 
other rudder to far in.

You have now shimmed one of your rudders "out" and the other is as you 
originally set it up.  If you "unshim" or bring the other rudder in, no 
more than a tape thickness, you can remove some of the tape from the 
outshimmed rudder.  BUT DON'T UNSHIM TO MUCH!!!  If you unshim to much 
the winglet will unload at high speeds, my flutter happened at 180 knots 
indicated.  So the way to do it, if you want to try it, is to unshim a 
1/32 or less.  Fly the airplane and take her up to indicated redline to 
verify the winglet is still loaded up. Do this every time you unshim a 
rudder inboard.


Scott





Chuck Jensen wrote:

> Oh, Reflectorites, I bow before your great wisdom!  A couple weeks ago, I
> started the string about uneven fuel flow.  Scott Derrick, the trick
driver,
> and always reticent to express his opinion, opinionated that "you're
> probably unbalanced" to which I had difficulty disagreeing.
> 
> Others joined the chorus so, rather than swimming against the current
(heck
> I can hardly swim at all), I started shimming out the right rudder with
duct
> tape from my National Emergency Preparedness Package.  Sure enough, the
> third effort and slightly over 1/4" thickness, the ball is dead center
> between the lubbers.  
> 
> Not only does my fuel flow evenly now, never more than a 2 gallon
variation,
> but I believe I actually gained a couple knots of cruise; proving the
theory
> that it's less than optimal to fly through the sky sideways.
> 
> Life is good!
> 
> Chuck
> _______________________________________________
> To change your email address, visit
http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
> 
> Visit the gallery!  tvbf:jamaicangoose
> 

_______________________________________________
To change your email address, visit
http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector

Visit the gallery!  tvbf:jamaicangoose