REFLECTOR:RE: Nose Gear Shimmy

Alexander Balic reflector@tvbf.org
Sat, 09 Aug 2003 08:03:55 -0500


During hard braking, you are loading up the nose wheel, so maybe that is why
the shimmy worsens, who knows? You know- there is s viscous-elastic shaft
coupling available (kind of a rotary shock absorber) I specified a small one
once to dampen tort ional vibration on a piece of equipment- worked great
for that, might work for the shimmy also, but I can't remember how much they
cost since It didn't come out of my pocket, but might be worth a try if it
is reasonable and doesn't weigh much.......

-----Original Message-----
From: reflector-admin@tvbf.org [mailto:reflector-admin@tvbf.org]On Behalf Of
John Dibble
Sent: Friday, August 08, 2003 6:35 PM
To: reflector@tvbf.org
Subject: Re: REFLECTOR:Nose Gear Shimmy


That's interesting.  My shimmy gets much worse when I brake hard and I
usually let off
to reduce the shimmy.  On a grass strip I have locked the main wheels and
don't recall
noticing much shimmy.  Can the rotors be "turned" like for a car, or should
they just
be replaced?

I'm tempted to try Chuck's low pressure method.  I would think that the tire
turning
on the rim issue would be much less for the nose where the weight is much
less and the
landing impact is much less.  So, tell me Chuck, how many hours do you have
with the
low tire pressure?

John

HYTEC45@aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 8/6/03 6:34:39 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
> ALVentures@cox.net writes:
>
> <<
>  Perhaps this discussion has gone as far as it can go on one data point.
>  There could have been other factors that caused the shimmy.  We don't
>  really know that is a pressure/shimmy relationship. >>
>
> I have had the Cleveland brakes since day one.  I have been through 2 sets
of
> disks due to warpage from receptive heating (over 600hrs), yet never have
> lost braking.  The symptom is nose shimmy as one brake grabs the warped
disk.
> Changing the disks provides instant relief.  My nose tube is at 50#.
>
> TEC
> _______________________________________________
> To change your email address, visit
http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>
> Visit the gallery!  tvbf:jamaicangoose




_______________________________________________
To change your email address, visit
http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector

Visit the gallery!  tvbf:jamaicangoose